How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver280z View Post
But at least if you pay them to diagnose it and you replace the part and the error persist, at least you have somebody to blame..... and ask for your money back, hahaha
not if they tell you that replacing the part may or may not work.. but its their best guess.. so you do it at your own risk.. etc..
now you're back to the position you started in but shy their diagnostic cost plus any money if you let them install the part (if you don't, they could come back and say you installed it improperly so it doesn't prove them wrong). hehe

I mean if you run out of options.. you may have to take the risk anyway.. but I typically prefer bugging members here.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 11-08-2007, 11:05 AM

Send a message via MSN to Guyver280z
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozykat View Post
not if they tell you that replacing the part may or may not work.. but its their best guess.. so you do it at your own risk.. etc..
now you're back to the position you started in but shy their diagnostic cost plus any money if you let them install the part (if you don't, they could come back and say you installed it improperly so it doesn't prove them wrong). hehe

I mean if you run out of options.. you may have to take the risk anyway.. but I typically prefer bugging members here.

Well. Im supposed to pay for a professional diagnosis, not pay them to guess... right???

That's the thing, if they tell me they are just going to guess and they wont warranty theyr diagnosis, i just wont do it. I can guess by myself
Old 11-08-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Well. Im supposed to pay for a professional diagnosis, not pay them to guess... right???

That's the thing, if they tell me they are just going to guess and they wont warranty theyr diagnosis, i just wont do it. I can guess by myself
most guys are pretty cool about it. they will tell you the truth. i always goback and stand with them. . . even if its not allowed

2000 Mustang GT
NOT stock 450 rwhp
Old 11-08-2007, 11:36 PM

Registered SVX
When you took it to the mechanics did they put it on a scope to check the ignition system? If they did it should have told you if a cylinder was misfiring. Also when you installed the MAF you didn't clean it with anything did you? Some cleaners like carb cleaner are too harsh and will damage them. Have you changed the plugs yet? By pulling them you can look at the condition of them to see how each cylinder is running. I would start with them since they're the easiest things to check and the most basic.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 11-09-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxash View Post
When you took it to the mechanics did they put it on a scope to check the ignition system? If they did it should have told you if a cylinder was misfiring. Also when you installed the MAF you didn't clean it with anything did you? Some cleaners like carb cleaner are too harsh and will damage them. Have you changed the plugs yet? By pulling them you can look at the condition of them to see how each cylinder is running. I would start with them since they're the easiest things to check and the most basic.
Well, the car hasnt been at the shop yet....

Im changing the plugs this weekend so I'll find out
Old 11-13-2007, 07:34 AM

Ok so here is the good news!!!

This weekend I took off the throttle body, cleaned it and also took of the IAC valve wich seemed to be quite dirty... I noticed it has an adjustment similar to the TPS sensor, but I left it on the same position.... I also noticed one wire under the TB that was supposed to go to ground... and was unplugged, so i plugged it back and sealed it with black tape.

Put everything back together and the misfiring is gone the engine runs smooth, now the only problem is that is idling from 2,000 rpms while cold and 1,500 while hot.... Im thinking it could be the TPS sensor adjustment so im going to try to adjust it today.

I think the failure was all in that disconnected ground wire... wich by the way it looked like some custom installation, maybe something related with the transmission swap or the ECUTune... I believe the tranny swap sounds more logic....

Well. I really apreciate all your help I love my SVX again And now im going to start getting more mods to make it perfect.

I'll let you know how the idling problem went.

Oh and by the way. I found this Shop called FAT here in Phoenix, he seems to be a subaru speciallist and he told me he know a lot about SVX's
Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Congrats!, you'd never know something that little could effect the engine that much
Old 11-14-2007, 12:52 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:

Put everything back together and the misfiring is gone the engine runs smooth, now the only problem is that is idling from 2,000 rpms while cold and 1,500 while hot.... Im thinking it could be the TPS sensor adjustment so im going to try to adjust it today.
Go to the thread “very high idle”, and read my last post regarding the valves involved. This could also apply in your case.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-14-2007, 07:39 AM

Cool, thanks Trevor.... lets continue this on that thread

ITS ALIVEEEE!!!!!