How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 06:17 AM

Question key locks in ignition

I have a '95 SVX - original owner with 98K miles. Twice now the key would lock in the ignition so I could not shut off the car and take the key out. Luckily I kept it running in the parking lot and went straight home. Had to unhook the battery and stall it out to stop engine. I took the ignition assembly out and took to a dealer. He fiddled with the key and said "maybe" the soilonoid (sp!) was bad. I took the key assembly apart, sprayed a little silicone spray in it. Worked for a month or so and yesterday it did it again. I also notice at times when I turn the key to start it, it starts but the key does not go all the way back - the car runs but the accessories (radio, ac, fan etc.) do not work. I push in on the key and wiggel it and it goes back into place so everything works. Anyone have suggestions on what I need to replace? The dealer was NO help. Is the problem in the ignition assembly (where the key goes in) or some silonoid(sp!) somewhere that needs to be replaced. Oh, one other thing - every since I put it back together the buzzer rings whenever the door is opened, whether the key is in or not. Since I left the dash padding off, if I slide the one assembly at the top of the ignition in, the buzzer stops, but it doesn't go back by itself to stop buzzing.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
99% sure it is the ignition assembly to me... Try buying a used one with its key off ebay, replace it yourslef and see if you still have that problem...

(if I were you I would also buy the whole car set along with it )

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
It sounds like the barrel of your ignition switch is worn, and/or the interlock is not lined up properly.

You can actually buy an ignition lock set from the likes of subaruparts.com. Not too expensive I would think.

However, you first need to read up about the interlock connection. This is the solenoid which does not let you start the car while the shifter is engaged in gear. This can come out of position, and either hold the key in place or possibly prevent the car from starting.

Your ignition barrel is held in position by two shear bolts[for security] from underneath. If this comes loose, it creates these kinds of problems with the solenoid. Is it loose? If you catch the key while in the ignition, can you move the whole lock?

If so these bolts have come loose. You would need to tighten this up before you go chasing the solenoids.

Hope this helps.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
First Post!!

And BTW, you are very welcome to the Network!!

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 10-17-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:19 PM

Bolts were tight. Nothing on Ebay. Found two items and don't know the difference between them. "Ignition lock cylinder" I know that comes out and the key goes into it but what is the "ignition switch" ? Is that the whole assembly including the lock cylinder that is held in place by the two bolts?
Would the lock cyclinder come with it? Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman60 View Post
Bolts were tight. Nothing on Ebay. Found two items and don't know the difference between them. "Ignition lock cylinder" I know that comes out and the key goes into it but what is the "ignition switch" ? Is that the whole assembly including the lock cylinder that is held in place by the two bolts?
Would the lock cyclinder come with it? Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
You are welcome mate.

If the ignition lock is good and tight to the steering column, no moving around, then it sounds a lot like your lock barrel is sticking, not letting the key back to the default position.

This is backed up by the fact that when you took it off and cleaned it, that it worked OK for a month.

Next suggestion, take it off again, and soak it in a solvent. Methylated spirits from a pharmacy will do, or paint thinners might be better. Soak it overnight in a glass of solvent. Next morning give it loads of opening and closing with the key, if possible while in the solvent.

I suspect that the lock may have been lubricated at a previous trip to the dealer. The lubricant used attracted dirt and turned into a gum inside the lock. The above soaking will shift the gum from your lock. When your lock has freed up and should no longer be giving colour to the solvent take it out and dry it off. Leave it somewhere warm to dry the inside of the lock. Then use Dry Graphite on the key and into the lock. This will keep the tumblers lubricated inside without turning to gum. It'll blacken your fingers for a bit, but no worries.

Put it back on now, and hopefully you may have no more trouble. When fitting it back make sure you have all the electrical connections plugged in the right places and secure.

Hopefully that sorts the problem for you.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I had someone tell me they had the same problem. When I checked it, I found that they had stopped the car and it was still in gear. When I shifted it into neutral, the key came out just fine.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 10-18-2007, 02:40 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Next suggestion, take it off again, and soak it in a solvent. Methylated spirits from a pharmacy will do, or paint thinners might be better. Soak it overnight in a glass of solvent. Next morning give it loads of opening and closing with the key, if possible while in the solvent.

I suspect that the lock may have been lubricated at a previous trip to the dealer. The lubricant used attracted dirt and turned into a gum inside the lock. The above soaking will shift the gum from your lock. When your lock has freed up and should no longer be giving colour to the solvent take it out and dry it off. Leave it somewhere warm to dry the inside of the lock. Then use Dry Graphite on the key and into the lock. This will keep the tumblers lubricated inside without turning to gum. It'll blacken your fingers for a bit, but no worries.

Put it back on now, and hopefully you may have no more trouble. When fitting it back make sure you have all the electrical connections plugged in the right places and secure.

Hopefully that sorts the problem for you.

Joe
Joe... his needs replacing. Trust me on this... I experienced it with Hondas, BMW's and Mercs...
When the ignition experiences such symptoms... it means it is telling him goodbye

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
You are most probably correct Danny, but it is worth a try if he can't get a new one quickly.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-22-2007, 02:25 PM

thanks

Thanks to all your suggestions. I got a new barrel lock. Finally figured out how to aleign(sp) it correctly so it would slip in. All works well now.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Glad you got it sorted. It is one of those things that is both a nuisance and a worry.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl