How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Ren-Ma Osu

Dumb ***** took out my driver's door!

Check it out. I parked my 2006 Outback on a very wide suburban street two blocks from my house so I could photograph a bride getting ready before leaving for her church ceremony. 1/2 hour later theres a knock on the door and this stupid ugly ***** asks who owns a silver Subaru. Turns out she backed out of her driveway -- a good 40 feet away in her tinted window Jeep Grand Cherokee and demolished my driver's door. I call the cops and he asks me if I just want him to do a field report that isn't filed so I can have the lady pay me directly and not go through insurance. I said, "Why would I want to do that when I wasn't in the car and it was her fault." So anyway, I don't want the door repaired. I want it replaced. Wish me luck.
Used to have: 1994 Pearlie, 40,945 miles, PWR Radiator, Motorsports Aluminum Crank Pulley, Raceconcepts Stainless Brake Lines, Axxis Ceramic Brake Pads, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Dimpled/Slotted Rotors, BBS STi 17 Silver Wheels, Toyo Proxe4 225/45/17 tires, New Dekka Battery, Unauthordox Racing Oil Cap -- adds 3.14 hp, OEM Coin Holder FFTDS aka Force Field Theft Deterent System. Magnetic oil drain plug, Purolator larger oil filter. Now she's in good caring hands at Earls place.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Happy Owner
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to EdfromSF Send a message via Yahoo to EdfromSF
Registered SVX
Dude that blows. Go get after her.

1992 Subaru SVX Touring Peacock Blue (Sold)
2002 Subaru Outback VDC Cream on Gold (Sold)
Old 04-21-2007, 11:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to berger
pictures coming?

that sucks
Old 04-21-2007, 11:15 PM

Hey, at least it wasn't your pearlie...

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 04-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I see people driving around here with very dark tinted windows and I wonder if they will survive the next winter.
Some people like this can't even see when it's light out, imagine 20 hours of darkness.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
That sucks. Every time i'm in an accident the officer's say "do you really to file a report" and i'm like hell yes, it's rock solid proof that the othe rdriver can't start lying about the situation making my life hell. Always get a report filed, it's the police officer's job to do that, and protect your rights. YOu weren't in the car, it's her fault, she could easily lie to her insruance though if the cops don't take a report, then it's your word aagainst hers. Don't get screwed, and i suggest going through insurance vs settling privately. I only say this because, you have i think 48hr to report to your insurance so that they'll take care of it. What if she waits a couple days then try's to back out of it, then insurance will no longer play a roll, and again, your screwed.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Ren-Ma Osu

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger
pictures coming?

that sucks
...yes, I'm really glad it wasn't the Pearlie. Also, I hope I don't have a problem getting a new door, and that the paint color matches. I don't want to have a ton of bondo and then at some point in the future have other problems like with the window motor and stuff.

Here's the photo:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42107door.jpg (55.2 KB, 155 views)
Used to have: 1994 Pearlie, 40,945 miles, PWR Radiator, Motorsports Aluminum Crank Pulley, Raceconcepts Stainless Brake Lines, Axxis Ceramic Brake Pads, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Dimpled/Slotted Rotors, BBS STi 17 Silver Wheels, Toyo Proxe4 225/45/17 tires, New Dekka Battery, Unauthordox Racing Oil Cap -- adds 3.14 hp, OEM Coin Holder FFTDS aka Force Field Theft Deterent System. Magnetic oil drain plug, Purolator larger oil filter. Now she's in good caring hands at Earls place.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:42 PM
J. Bond

Send a message via AIM to ~*~JenSVX~*~
Wow Dan that sucks. Odd enough its a month and 5 days after the SAME thing happened to the laguna. Only difference was that she didnt hit a door on my car but rather the panel behind it.

www.longislandsubaruclub.com

LISC member #50
Old 04-23-2007, 07:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX
That sucks. Every time i'm in an accident the officer's say "do you really to file a report" and i'm like hell yes, it's rock solid proof that the othe rdriver can't start lying about the situation making my life hell. Always get a report filed, it's the police officer's job to do that, and protect your rights. YOu weren't in the car, it's her fault, she could easily lie to her insruance though if the cops don't take a report, then it's your word aagainst hers. Don't get screwed, and i suggest going through insurance vs settling privately. I only say this because, you have i think 48hr to report to your insurance so that they'll take care of it. What if she waits a couple days then try's to back out of it, then insurance will no longer play a roll, and again, your screwed.
My wife's Outback was rear-ended in January, and we didn't have an accident report filled out. My wife did exchange insurance information with the kid, and then we called his insurance company. We had to wait a week or so while they 'couldn't reach him,' but in the end he verified my wife's story.

My point is that I wouldn't recommend this method. JaySVX is right, and our plan was risky. We spent that week assuming we'd never get anything out of them. In the end, his insurance did cover the repair, and my insurance didn't hear about it, but I got lucky. In the future I plan on doing exactly what Jay recommended above.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-23-2007, 12:54 PM
BoreD'oh Poseur Faux Pas

Talking

i am a Claims Adjuster for CSAA (aka Triple A Auto Insurance) we almost never require a police report for an accident. the police werent there, they didnt see anything. if there was a witness GET THE INFO!! we are much more likely to want to talk to them than the police. we dont NEED any witnesses, we can look at the vehicles and practically tell you how it happend without a word from either party. we do this for a living we see it EVERY DAY. if the other party is argumentative then by all means call the police. otherwise its a waste of their time. all we need is the name and address of the people involved THE MAKE AND MODEL OF THE CAR THEY ARE DRIVING, their insurance info, and any witness info when avail. i cant tell you how many people cant even remember the color of the car they hit, let alone what kind of car it was. this is vitally important information. PEOPLE LIE they will gladly say they didnt back into your car, and show their cousins Acura instead of the Jeep that backed into you.... this isnt so much a rant at you for getting backed into, im sorry it happend but you are in the clear. anyone who hits a parked car is at fault. it doesnt matter where or how the car is parked. if you hit a non moving inanimate object you are at fault. it didnt jump out in front of you! its highly doubtful the door will get the door replaced but will likely get a new skin. its cheaper for the ins co. good luck with your repairs again im not ranting at YOU im just ranting....
Old 04-23-2007, 01:03 PM

One accident I was in was around 11:30pm, where a girl ran a flashing red light and i T-boned her mustang with my Altima, doing about 55mph(texas, that speed is normal on residentual roads). It turned out to be the eve of her wedding, and i called her insurance and my insurance to get the whole deal done, without police report, and her insurance couldn't get ahold of her, because she got married and left on her honeymoon immediately after, and didn't bother getting in contact with insurance. I had just started a job and now had no transportation, so after 2 weeks working there, i had to request an unknown amount of time off, and ended up losing my job, as it took 2 weeks before she got back from her honeymoon, then her insurance was denying that the light was red, which starts flashing red for her direction at 11pm, so there was a whole time scheme involved, and had i called the police, her insurance wouldn't have needed to contact her to settle the claim, and i wouldn't have had to fight about the time. Big mistake on my part, and it certainly won't happen again.

Just remember, CYA.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 01:21 PM
BoreD'oh Poseur Faux Pas

Her insurance would still have to contact her. if an ins co cant contact the insd it takes about 30 days before they will finally issue payment, its rare but it happens. when ever you have an accident you should always file a claim with your own insurance co. thats what we are here for!! thats why you pay us LOTS of money to make the bad things go away!! our primary function is not to fix some random 3rd party vehicle, our loyalty is to you. if you have a no fault loss IT DOESNT AFFECT YOUR RATES. so file the claim and let us fight for you. we enjoy it! 3rd party ins co's dont care about you or your car they will protect their insd. if you file with your own company they are much more active in payment because they know it wont go away. and yes... ALWAYS CYA
Old 04-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Ren-Ma Osu

Update.

Well the lady really is a b i t c h.

Her insurance company and I have left messages asking her to call their adjuster. I went to her house and asked her mother (she's 27) to have her call and gave her all the info. Her mother said the insurance company left messages, but her daughter goes to school at 7 am, then works and has no time to make a call. So I left a message telling her I will sue her for my professional time in small claims court, and I will.

Also, I called my insurance company and filed a claim. They told me they will go after her for the deductible.

I had to rent a car on my own, but her insurance will cover this at some point in the future.

Oh yeah, her mother told me she would have paid directly and that I didn't need to file a report. I said, oh you'd pay 3K? And she says "maybe."

Old 04-25-2007, 07:15 AM

PASS OUT THE TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS!

Good thing you filed with insurance huh? Still can be a pain but better to have someone on your side rather than no one.