How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-21-2004, 01:44 PM
iwishicoulddunk

a/c problem -long sorta

well first and foremost i have searched all of the threads about my a/c issue. My car is a 92 lsl with 161k on her with a rebuilt tranny (however i don't know how it was rebuilt, refering to the upgrades subaru added to make for more efficient cooling) The problem i am having with my a/c is that the compressor clicks on for a split second, then clicks off. The clutch quickly engages and disengages, it does this every 10 seconds or so. I ran the hvac diagnostic and no errors came up, except for the sun sensor but i was in my garage at night and the lighting was poor. I took it to a dealership and well frankly no one in the service department knew what they were talking about and i'm scared to let them touch my car and i figure the members here would be much more helpful. My system has been converted to the new r134 freon system, and so i tried refilling it myself and well the a/c clutch would not engage longer than the previously described symptom. The dealer mechanic thought it might be a roration sensor that went bad, he explained to me that they are built right onto the a/c unit and then tried to sell me a new compressor for $500, i laughed and said i'll keep my money thanks. I'm sorry for the babble but i wanted to include everything i've done to investigate up until this point. And oh yah thanks to whoever brought up the fact that the vent levers on the lower right side of the drivers footwell get stuck...my vents now work but still no cold air from the a/c system any input is appreciated. I'm guessing i need a new compressor?
Old 07-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

First off, welcome to the site. Love the screen name! Personally, I'm 6' 2" and CAN dunk, but it's not all it's cracked up to be. I'd rather sink 3 pointers from outside the arc all day long...

About your A/C problem. I think the dealer is right and you need a new compressor, HOWEVER, do not pay $500 for one. Check Ebay often, as rebuilt compressors often sell for about $50. I think NAPA or one of the parts stores also sells a compatible rebuilt compressor for our cars for around $100...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-21-2004, 02:15 PM

Here's a link...

to an A/C compressor on Ebay for $180 for a '92-'97 SVX.

Ebay Auction

Price is kinda high, but still less than half of what the dealer is asking.

-Chike

P.S. Another good place to check are your local junk yards and/or SVX members who are parting out their cars...

Old 07-21-2004, 03:09 PM

Before you rush to replace compressor, get the pressure in the system checked.
You may have too much R-134 in the system and a protection switch shuts compressor off as soon as it sees the pressure building too high.
You may have too little R-134 in the system and a protection switch switch shuts the compressor off as it sess the pressure getting too low. It does that to protect compressor from dying without enough lubrication.

You cannot get the pressures by running hvac diagnostic - you have to hook up pressure gauges to the system.

By the way, there is no rotation sensor in the compressor.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:14 PM

That did sound kinda bogus to me as well...

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by gl1674
By the way, there is no rotation sensor in the compressor.

Old 07-21-2004, 03:21 PM
iwishicoulddunk

hey man, thanks, i'm 6'0 i can dunk, i've had the name for so long i've just kept it with me as a keepsake. I've already seen that ebay auction and yes i agree its to steep, and i'm on a budget lol, i'm going to go try and vent the system right now and see if that does anything because maybe the dealer i bought it from just jammed to much coolant in there. I'll post again with the results...fingers crossed lol
Old 07-21-2004, 03:31 PM

Thumbs up

Cool! Good luck man... *fingers crossed*

-Chike

P.S. Check the For Sale section of this site and go back a few pages and search for posts of people parting out SVX's. Mike Davis (green1995svx) has a bunch of SVX parts and it may be worth e-mailing him to see if he has a compressor: mike@subarusvx.org

Old 07-21-2004, 03:57 PM
iwishicoulddunk

AHH HAH HAH HAH i love this site, i would have wasted so much money paying for a dealership to see whats wrong with it, chike your were 100% correct....i vented the system and checked it with a pressure gauge, its full and blowing ice cold, thanks a million man.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:10 PM

Wish I could take the credit, but it was gl1674 who mentioned that...

-Chike

P.S. I love this site too!
Quote:
Originally posted by iwishicoulddunk
AHH HAH HAH HAH i love this site, i would have wasted so much money paying for a dealership to see whats wrong with it, chike your were 100% correct....i vented the system and checked it with a pressure gauge, its full and blowing ice cold, thanks a million man.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:45 PM
iwishicoulddunk

hah hah oops i was so enthusiastic about learning to see whats wrong i failed to thank the correct person, thanks a bunch gl....my svx is now cool
Old 07-22-2004, 02:51 PM

When I overfilled my unit it would click on an off after that I now have to get a new compressor which is throwing my paint job farther back.