SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2017, 06:54 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Return of SVreX

Hi guys! It sure has been a while!!

Some of you may remember me- I built a SVX racer called the "SVreX" back in 2004, and took it to the Grassroots Motorsports Challenge. It performed respectfully, finishing 13th overall (out of 77 competitors). It ran a 13.8 quarter mile, and was a respectable autocrosser.

This forum was instrumental in getting me going. I had never built a racer before, and everything I did was influenced by this site.

Since then, I have largely moved away from Subarus, and competed with various other cars. I've built a dozen Challenge cars since then, and had a podium finish in a turbo charged Miata we called "The Mumpkin".

So, I've been SVX-less for a long time, and I kind of miss you guys. The moniker has, however, lived on- my screen name is "SVreX on GRM and other forums.

I've had an interesting opportunity recently, and thought I would share...

One of the cars I built was a '92 Claret 5 speed SVX. It was a street driver, and done right. I had a lot of money in it- Probably about $7K. It included Koni/ GC's a 4:11 final drive, and a 5 speed from an RS. It was a blast to drive and fast as crap, but I never raced it. I was always convinced a 5 speed would make a terrific racer, and I have watched the prices drop for a long time, hoping to be able to build a 5spd SVX for the GRM Challenge.

This week, I had an interesting opportunity. The guy I sold my Claret to is in bad times, and needed to get rid of it. The car had not been well taken care of- in fact the motor is blown. But he agreed to part with it dirt cheap, and the deal included a low mileage motor.

So, I have just re-bought my Claret, for the Kingly sum of $500. That includes the complete nicely done 5 spd conversion, the Koni G/C's, and a spare motor. It's the complete car, that needs some elbow grease to put it back together.

So, I am at the beginning of the planning stage. I won't actually pick up the car for a few months, but I am now thinking of what to do with it. I have 2 ideas that are tickling my fancy:

Plan A: rebuild it and sell it. It would be a cherry car, and probably worth a bit. I could make some money, but this plan is a little boring. (yawn)

Plan B: Build a real racer. I'm thinking sequential twin turbos, after market programmable engine management, 1500 lbs lighter, and full race trim. Perhaps even a trans upgrade and a dry sump. This would be a screamer, and a great contender for an overall win at the GRM Challenge. There is PLENTY of budget left. THAT would be a hoot!

Anyway, I came back to say Hi!, and spread the good news that I'm back, and fully expecting you to enable me with all the terrible ideas you can! I'll start a build thread soon, and expect big things, but you can certainly begin by sharing ideas right here!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-14-2017, 07:04 PM

Re: Return of SVreX

Cool story, bro...
No, really.
Can't wait for the build thread....
Old 06-15-2017, 05:02 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Wow. Lucky for you but very unfortunate for her old owner. With that said, the answer is always PLAN B
Old 06-16-2017, 05:46 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Howdy Paul!
Good to see you're still around...the Dragon Meet is next Weekend (June-23,24,25th) you should come up!
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-16-2017, 07:14 PM

Hey there, Huck! Terrific to hear from you again!

Much as I'd like to, I don't think I can make the Dragon. Maybe next year.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-16-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflystyle View Post
Wow. Lucky for you but very unfortunate for her old owner. With that said, the answer is always PLAN B
Of course, I agree with you, but it does seem a shame to cut up a really nice 5 speed.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:33 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxhunter View Post
Hey there, Huck! Terrific to hear from you again!

Much as I'd like to, I don't think I can make the Dragon. Maybe next year.
Too bad, would have been good to see you again!......but there is always next year!
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"