How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-29-2017, 03:35 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Replacing locks?

Broke a key off in the door, it doesn't want to come out easy. Since I assume it's all pretty rusty in there I was wondering if it made sense to replace the whole lock?

The keyless entry hasn't worked for a couple years, would be nice to be able to do that. And maybe I'd want a dif type of alarm? And people in this cold state sure seem to like having a remote start on their cars.

Local Subaru dealership wasn't sure if there was a dif in lock parts between 92 (mine) and later than 94. Or if there are any parts available or aftermarket options.

So... anyone know what my lock options are?
Old 04-01-2017, 10:51 PM

Re: Replacing locks?

Locks? An SVX has locks? ..

Never used them since I got the car, and, I suspect, that the previous owner didn't use them either...

My battery died one day ... completely dead, (Due to fact that the rear wiper's parking circuit is independent of the ignition switch), and couldn't get in. Both door locks were completely seized, and I couldn't think / find a way of powering the battery without popping the hood. Eventually, WD-40 got the passenger door opened, and I was able to revive it. I've used the remote ever since..
I would imagine that I'm not the only owner who hasn't used the key locks in quite some time.

If the keyless entry doesn't work, I don't think it would really matter mto a competent shop putting in a self starter remote system.. If you've broken the key in one door, I'd assume that the key works in the other... Keep that on elubed and functional, and leave the busted one in the door.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:12 AM
Sue isn't really striped

the keyless entry hasnt worked for a couple years, tried replacing the battery on the FOB but nope. I miss being able to beep open.

Old locksmith guy did what AAA couldnt and got the chunk of key out of the drivers side. I put in some wd40, now I can lock and unlock car, but still feels far from smooth n happy.

I still think new locks might be a good idea at some point.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:49 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycone View Post
the keyless entry hasnt worked for a couple years, tried replacing the battery on the FOB but nope. I miss being able to beep open.

Old locksmith guy did what AAA couldnt and got the chunk of key out of the drivers side. I put in some wd40, now I can lock and unlock car, but still feels far from smooth n happy.

the security red led in the button is it solid on, or does it blink?

if blinking you may just need to reprogram the key fob, but if solid on you have a dead security module you can replace it reasonably easily
Old 04-04-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycone View Post

If you take the door card off you can get to the back of the handle and the lock barrel. There is lever attached to the end of the barrel held on wih an E clip. Prize that off carefully (it will want to ping off and get lost in your door or on the drive) and pull the disc back off its locating pegs.
You will now see the barrel, held in place with a spring clip around the circumferance. Pop a flat screwdriver in the top of the clip and twist it to prise the the top middle up a little. The barrel can now be pushed from the outside inwards and out of its surround. Just pay attention to its orientation.

If you know how to get the door card of its a 10 min job.

With the barrel out you can give it a good degrease and clean out before lubricating it with a dry lubricant.

Sorry I have just this weekend fitted my passenger barrel but i didn't take any pics.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:39 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

It actually isn't that hard to disassemble the locks for cleaning.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46565

Appologies for the picture quality, this was back in the flip-phone camera days.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-05-2017, 11:20 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
It actually isn't that hard to disassemble the locks for cleaning.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46565

Appologies for the picture quality, this was back in the flip-phone camera days.
That is a great write up, and for the age of the phone camera pics not even bad.