Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A > Chris's SVX Shop
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2004, 11:13 AM
wvsvx

Fuel Injectors

Had a rough idle and plugs helped greatly--still a little rough vibration felt when accelerating. Could be something else but thought I would check the injectors next. Sounds dumb, but what is the procedure for pulling the elec connector off of the injector without breaking them. What is the best practical way for a DIYer to clean the injectors?
Old 04-05-2004, 11:35 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Without removing the injectors? Try a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas. If you are going to remove them, send them to rceng.com. Not cheap, but they will properly clean and flow test with quick turn-around time.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:01 PM
MikeInd

Injectors...

What kind do we have: PEAK AND HOLD INJECTORS or SATURATED INJECTORS? How much did it cost you..??

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Without removing the injectors? Try a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas. If you are going to remove them, send them to rceng.com. Not cheap, but they will properly clean and flow test with quick turn-around time.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:05 PM
wvsvx

Injectors

I do not know what type--if it helps the plastic connector is rust colored with two wires. The have some type of snap connector on the bottom--the first one that I depressed snapped off so I wanted to see if there was a better way.

Anyone know of a particularly good fuel injector cleaner additive?
Old 04-08-2004, 06:57 PM
SEA Sleeper

Lightbulb

Chevron full fuel system treatment has worked well for me. It costs between $6-$10 and you can buy it at most Chevron gas stations or auto parts stores. It comes in a black bottle containing about 8oz. Add this little bottle to one tankfull and you should see some imporovement.

*note* stay away from octane booster formulas, I plugged up two injectors in my supra last year using them ONE TIME.

If you end up replacing the injectors themselves, I would reccomend installing the F.I. listed on this page under Modifications: fuel->

http://my.voyager.net/~tmclane/#_Toc482082571

Good luck!
Old 05-06-2004, 12:24 PM

One problem that I have heard of is poor (corroded) grounding causing the plugs(coils) not to fire. Replacing the plugs may have jiggled the wires to get marginally better results, but it is a good thing to explore.
For fuel system cleaner, I use Marvel Mystery Oil mixed @ the prescribed rate. For ME it has worked 1000% better than Redline, Techron, etc. at cleaning the injectors (and carbs as well). On the plus side it is also significantly cheaper than all the others (less than $0.75 per tank) and you can find it at most chain auto parts stores.
'80 Honda CBX in-line 24 valve 6 cylinder