The Subaru SVX World Network   SVX Network Forums
Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:
SVXBot

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-12-2018, 02:49 PM
Huskymaniac's Avatar
Huskymaniac Huskymaniac is offline
Uses the ignore feature
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Corning, NY
Posts: 1,752
Registered SVX
I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

In addition to the likely blown head gasket, I had a code stored in the TCU. I checked the resistor and it seemed ok. I put it back in and tried to retrieve the stored code. I couldn't move the gear selector. So I started the car in hopes of "loosening things up". I thought, maybe the ATF is low so I checked it. It seemed low so I turned off the engine and put some in. I went to start it again and it would not start. Not even a click. Not drawing much current at all from the battery. Maybe 10A when the key is turned to "start". WTF?!?!?!
__________________
Tony

1996 Subaru SVX LSi, 149,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 0W40 and 5W30 High Mileage Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, StopTech Cross Drilled Front and Rear Rotors, Akebono ProACT Brake Pads
2005 Acura RL, 128,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Mobil 1 0W40 and 0W20 High Mileage Oil Blend
2009 Toyota Venza, 78,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-2018, 04:02 PM
SoCoNoHa's Avatar
SoCoNoHa SoCoNoHa is offline
H6 Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 55
Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

How old is the battery? If not old, or if it is, check the connections. My Impreza did that when the negative connection was hardly loose at all.

I hear ya on the head gaskets. That's my winter project, among other things.
__________________
1992 SVX LS-L Pearl White:
'99LGT 5MT
Custom Short Throw
Group N trans mount

1995 Impreza L Coupe: AWD/5MT
EJ18-T -> EJ22D-T -> EZ30D

I BELIEVE in BOOST!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2018, 05:09 PM
Huskymaniac's Avatar
Huskymaniac Huskymaniac is offline
Uses the ignore feature
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Corning, NY
Posts: 1,752
Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa View Post
How old is the battery? If not old, or if it is, check the connections. My Impreza did that when the negative connection was hardly loose at all.

I hear ya on the head gaskets. That's my winter project, among other things.
Battery is 4 years old. I checked and tightened the connections.
__________________
Tony

1996 Subaru SVX LSi, 149,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 0W40 and 5W30 High Mileage Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, StopTech Cross Drilled Front and Rear Rotors, Akebono ProACT Brake Pads
2005 Acura RL, 128,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Mobil 1 0W40 and 0W20 High Mileage Oil Blend
2009 Toyota Venza, 78,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-12-2018, 05:16 PM
Trevor's Avatar
Trevor Trevor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 5,101
Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
In addition to the likely blown head gasket, I had a code stored in the TCU. I checked the resistor and it seemed ok. I put it back in and tried to retrieve the stored code. I couldn't move the gear selector. So I started the car in hopes of "loosening things up". I thought, maybe the ATF is low so I checked it. It seemed low so I turned off the engine and put some in. I went to start it again and it would not start. Not even a click. Not drawing much current at all from the battery. Maybe 10A when the key is turned to "start". WTF?!?!?!
`

Tony you say "I couldn't move the gear selector" This indicates something probably mechanical as well as electrical.

Check that the inhibitor switch which moves along with the selector, for mechanical operation. Is it jammed damaged or whatever?

Cheers, Trevor.
__________________
Trevor, New Zealand.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Huskymaniac's Avatar
Huskymaniac Huskymaniac is offline
Uses the ignore feature
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Corning, NY
Posts: 1,752
Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
`

Tony you say "I couldn't move the gear selector" This indicates something probably mechanical as well as electrical.

Check that the inhibitor switch which moves along with the selector, for mechanical operation. Is it jammed damaged or whatever?

Cheers, Trevor.
Yes, I agree that the stiff gear selector is definitely a mechanical issue. I have read the cable can bind up and especially if the car sits. We have had a TON of rain this year so it wouldn't surprise me if that affected the cable.

What has me more baffled is why the car suddenly won't start. It started for me once today without an issue. I checked the ATF level and decided it was low so I turned the car off and added fluid. The car will not start now.

I tested the battery and it can provide 688 CCA. Like I said earlier, I put a clamp style amp meter on the ground wire and only about an additional 10A are drawn when I try to turn the ignition switch to "start". When in the "ON" position, everything on the dash lights up, I can hear the fuel pump and the car draws about 10A. It goes up to about 20A when I try to start the car. I never noticed this before but the climate control, clock and radio turn off when the ignition switch is turned to "start". I assume that is normal.

As an aside, when I have the ignition turned to "ON", I can hear a click when I press the button on the gear selector but I can't move the selector at all.
__________________
Tony

1996 Subaru SVX LSi, 149,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 0W40 and 5W30 High Mileage Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, StopTech Cross Drilled Front and Rear Rotors, Akebono ProACT Brake Pads
2005 Acura RL, 128,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Mobil 1 0W40 and 0W20 High Mileage Oil Blend
2009 Toyota Venza, 78,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Stevebsy's Avatar
Stevebsy Stevebsy is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Texoma area TX
Posts: 1,281
Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

You should not be able to move the selector without pressing the brake.

In fact you should hear a 'clunk' noise when in park and you press the brake on and off from the shift lock solenoid.

The inhibitor switch is probably preventing the starter from engaging. Try jiggling the shifter while turning the key and see if that does anything.
__________________
'93 Anniversary Edition SVX 111k - 4.444 swap, ECUtune 1a1, ECUtune TCU, QC Kit, Bontrager RSB, Restomod very very slowly underway
'04 Audi S4 6MT - RIP via Deer
'07 Acura TL Type S

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2018, 11:10 PM
Trevor's Avatar
Trevor Trevor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 5,101
Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Yes, I agree that the stiff gear selector is definitely a mechanical issue. I have read the cable can bind up and especially if the car sits. We have had a TON of rain this year so it wouldn't surprise me if that affected the cable.

What has me more baffled is why the car suddenly won't start. It started for me once today without an issue. I checked the ATF level and decided it was low so I turned the car off and added fluid. The car will not start now.

I tested the battery and it can provide 688 CCA. Like I said earlier, I put a clamp style amp meter on the ground wire and only about an additional 10A are drawn when I try to turn the ignition switch to "start". When in the "ON" position, everything on the dash lights up, I can hear the fuel pump and the car draws about 10A. It goes up to about 20A when I try to start the car. I never noticed this before but the climate control, clock and radio turn off when the ignition switch is turned to "start". I assume that is normal.

As an aside, when I have the ignition turned to "ON", I can hear a click when I press the button on the gear selector but I can't move the selector at all.
You should follow through suspecting the inhibiter switch.

Presuming that the battery is in all respects 100%. ----

You advise "It started for me once today without an issue."

You have an intermittent fault and must take this into account and search accordingly. Push and pull things as you check and test.

You advise that it goes up to only 20 amps when you apply voltage to the starter. This indicates that :-

* There is a voltage drop between the starter and the battery i.e. resistance in the wiring and connections. Or :-

The starter or the starter solenoid is faulty is not applying a normal load against the battery.

The inhibiter switch is disrupting full voltage to the solenoid.

You advise that "I never noticed this before but the climate control, clock and radio turn off when the ignition switch is turned to "start"."

This indicates that there is voltage drop affecting the overall electrical network.

* Check for voltage drop across the starter supply circuit by measuring for voltage between the battery positive terminal and the main starter terminal while cranking the car. If there is anything close to say a one volt drop you have identified that your problem involves the main battery supply circuit.
__________________
Trevor, New Zealand.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-13-2018, 07:25 AM
Blacky Blacky is offline
51 Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LSM, Quebec
Posts: 2,205
Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

Have you tried starting it in neutral?

I know the feeling of "I am ready to blow this car up." I was ready to burn mine a few weeks ago when I was battling the crank sensor issue on mine. I said to my wife " It's a shame to burn this f@#$%ing thing because they're so rare, but I'm sick of this bull@#$t."
__________________
1997 Bordeaux, 1992 Claret (parts car) 2011 BMW 535i GT Xdrive, 2006 Nissan X-Trail SE 4WD, 2012 Moto Guzzi Norge GT 8V, 1982 Honda Nighthawk 650

Last edited by Blacky; 11-13-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:05 PM
Huskymaniac's Avatar
Huskymaniac Huskymaniac is offline
Uses the ignore feature
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Corning, NY
Posts: 1,752
Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsy View Post
You should not be able to move the selector without pressing the brake.

In fact you should hear a 'clunk' noise when in park and you press the brake on and off from the shift lock solenoid.

The inhibitor switch is probably preventing the starter from engaging. Try jiggling the shifter while turning the key and see if that does anything.
Nope. I don't hear anything when pressing the brake. But when I press the button on the shifter, I hear a click.

I tried wiggling the shifter while turning the key but it never tried to start. However, it did click on and off in the shifter when wiggling.
__________________
Tony

1996 Subaru SVX LSi, 149,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 0W40 and 5W30 High Mileage Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, StopTech Cross Drilled Front and Rear Rotors, Akebono ProACT Brake Pads
2005 Acura RL, 128,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Mobil 1 0W40 and 0W20 High Mileage Oil Blend
2009 Toyota Venza, 78,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2018, 02:00 AM
Trevor's Avatar
Trevor Trevor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 5,101
Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

Tony, have you read and taken notice of post number seven ?
__________________
Trevor, New Zealand.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-15-2018, 03:42 PM
Huskymaniac's Avatar
Huskymaniac Huskymaniac is offline
Uses the ignore feature
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Corning, NY
Posts: 1,752
Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Tony, have you read and taken notice of post number seven ?
I have but I have been limited in what I can try due to illness and crappy weather. They are calling for 8 inches of snow today. It basically hasn't stopped precipitating since July. Worst 4+ months of weather I can remember. That is probably why my shifter cable is bound up.
__________________
Tony

1996 Subaru SVX LSi, 149,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 0W40 and 5W30 High Mileage Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, StopTech Cross Drilled Front and Rear Rotors, Akebono ProACT Brake Pads
2005 Acura RL, 128,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Mobil 1 0W40 and 0W20 High Mileage Oil Blend
2009 Toyota Venza, 78,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-15-2018, 06:54 PM
Trevor's Avatar
Trevor Trevor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 5,101
Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I have but I have been limited in what I can try due to illness and crappy weather. They are calling for 8 inches of snow today. It basically hasn't stopped precipitating since July. Worst 4+ months of weather I can remember. That is probably why my shifter cable is bound up.
Sad news Tony,

Down this way I am very much inclined to not take into considerations your cold weather problems and you will have to take your time. While you are keeping warm take the time to plan and consider things in a logical order and when the weather allows attack things accordingly.

Meantime Il hope nothing seriously expensive is involved and hence my thoughts on tackling the problem progressively.

Cheers, Trevor.
__________________
Trevor, New Zealand.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2001-2015 SVX World Network
(208)-906-1122