How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2018, 01:22 AM

Re: '92 SVX burning out ignition modules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Since composing the previous post, I have again carefully studied the wiring diagrams and find that the igniter and coils are switched by the igniter in the negative, rather than the positive, supply leg.

This means that you should ignore my advice:-

"Although you can't check for a possible nasty voltage from the alternator, with the ignition on, you can verify that the igniter is getting full battery voltage."

The igniter receives positive voltage, via the six trigger circuits from the ECU, and switches the negative ground circuit to the coils. This rules out any problem relating to the alternator.

The coils all receive positive voltage, via a connection at the second 8 pin plug connector within the loom, which runs from the igniter to the coils as I mentioned earlier but appears not to have been found. With the ignition energized you must find and check for voltage at this connector on the plug side at pins 5 can 6, and the black/white wires which become a common connection on or after entering the loom.

It turns out that I did not make a typo and you will have to accept that it is difficult to verbally communicate regarding this sort of complex problem and patience is required, but we will get there. LOL

At this point I am not convinced that the problem is confined to the igniter. When changing igniters your could have corrected some obscure faulty intermittent connection which again failed later. Give this some thought.
I'm going to try to include an image of the igniter with this post. It is 6 pins going in and 7 pins going out. The additional pin going out is labeled "G" and appears to be ground, as the igniter itself has a metal case, and is bolted to the firewall ("case-ground"). The outgoing wires from the igniter appear to me to split into two groups, one to each side of the engine. Then the wires split such that there are 3 separate connectors on each side of the engine, each connector then connecting to the wires of one coil pack. The coil packs are color-coded, with shorter wires near the rear of the engine and longer wires near the front, so that they can't be confused. There are only 2 wires to each coil; it seems that one is the wire from the igniter (which you have said is switched to ground per signals from the ECU) and the other a positive source, which is not obvious to me even after much tracing, digging, and occasionally swearing. I don't have the manual in front of me, and I'm not even sure if my manual is complete enough to show all of this wiring, but I'll check when I get back home - I'm out of town for a couple of days. If you have a way of posting an image of the wiring diagram you're looking at, please do, if you're willing - it would help future generations of the poor and downtrodden with igniter-related problems. Without an image, I don't think I can find/understand "the second 8 pin plug connector within the loom, which runs from the igniter to the coils" or correctly perform "With the ignition energized you must find and check for voltage at this connector on the plug side at pins 5 can 6, and the black/white wires which become a common connection on or after entering the loom."

Hopefully, there will be an image attached to this post. Thanks again for all your input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX Igniter M.jpg (235.4 KB, 262 views)