Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2004, 05:02 PM

Iam just saying you can retard timing to a point, then you have to add more fuel to keep it from detonating to early, and you would have to add alot of fuel to run 10PSI in a SVX(pump gass) and not have engine damaging detonation. All your cars that have forced induction probely also have a way lower compression than the SVX.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:09 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Quote:
Originally posted by svxsubaru1
Iam just saying you can retard timing to a point, then you have to add more fuel to keep it from detonating to early, and you would have to add alot of fuel to run 10PSI in a SVX(pump gass) and not have engine damaging detonation. All your cars that have forced induction probely also have a way lower compression than the SVX.
You can remap in a thousand differnent ways...
its limitless what you can do with a stand alone.
To prevent detonation, you want to add more fuel
esp under boost. A good rule of thumb is for every 2lbs
of boost, you want to retard 1 degree. But with so many
variables its hard to say.
True, most of these other cars do come stock with lower
compression, but they also run twice or more the boost
levels.

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 04-06-2004, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX

True, most of these other cars do come stock with lower
compression, but they also run twice or more the boost
levels.
On Pump gas?
Old 04-06-2004, 05:17 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Id be more interested

in somehow mount an Intercooler somehow on the
car for increase efficiency and more hp.
Fix that dillema and your thats half your battle.

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 04-06-2004, 05:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Reaper450128
Definately any boost level beyond 6psi would require an intercooler, but at this level I agree with longassname, it would be more restrictive than beneficial.

As far as the timing topic, I think the timing would have to be retarded far enough and the mixture richened to the point that it would negate any effect higher boost would have. Combined with a propane injection system (107 octane equivalent) it might be possible, but that's just more cost, and that contradicts my goal for this kit. On the other hand, down the road after this is all settled, I'd consider it.

Also, sent you an email Dayle, some questions about the kit on your site, for whatever its worth...

Last edited by Reaper450128; 04-06-2004 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:09 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
6psi isnt even in the efficency range for a 16g!!!!!!!!! you CANNOT make that turbo make 6psi of boost on the stock wastegate. You will have to run an external, and i garuntee you that boost creep and compresser surge will be overwhelming. do it right or do it twice, t3/t4 or full t4 is doable.
phil
Old 04-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper450128
I appreciate the support Noir, Chiketkd. The other thought that's been in my mind, particularly since the backlash from certain members began, is that competition creates innovation, so if this is a competition, the community can only benefit from it. All I really set out to do is prove him wrong on the point that a turbo kit capable of the same gains couldn't be setup for siginificantly cheaper than his setup, so that's my primary goal. If it results in a decently effective turbo kit for our cars, all the better, if not then his supercharger will still be there as an option for those who want it.

As far as the timing, the e-Manage is capable of handling that as well; it may be fun figuring out how to wire it in, but we'll see.

As far as fabrication costs, I'm not looking at that many custom parts. There will be a modification to the existing manifold sending both sides to a collector at the turbine, a pipe back from the turbine to around the points where the headers attach to the exhaust now, and two pipes for the intake. None of them are particularly complicated. From what I've seen of other people getting pipe work done it shouldn't be that expensive, and I think it could pretty easily fit in the remaining $500 of my estimate, though I suppose another $100 or $200 beyond that is possible.

Its a little interesting that someone mentioned an Eclipse, as that's where many of the parts are coming from (the turbo, blow-off, injectors). I need to check with my "consultant" (DSM-owning friend whose given me most of my setup ideas) to be certain, but the wastegate should be dumping into the normal exhaust system, I see no reason why that would cause a problem. And tomssvx, how is this not a normal engine? I see nothing particularly special about it, no issues that would be present with this that won't be in Michael's setup.

Now, unfortunately as I mentioned, just so everyone understands I'm only a college kid on a living on a Wal-Mart paycheck. As long as I'm living at home (the forseeable future right now) most of that paycheck can go towards this, but it will probably take me a while to have anything to show. On top of that, none of this is coming off the drawing board until my transmission is finished and reinstalled, though that should be soon, just awaiting a few parts.
well if you can make it and prove the gains along with prove that you setup is safe, i'm in for it. heck make a few bucks in the process, i have no problem with that. i'll be awaiting the completion of your project.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I don't want to discourage you...but there are a lot of people here who know a LOT more about turbocharged engines htan you Reaper... and honestly, not everything you are saying is making sense, nor is it anything new. Thing is, turbo'ing the eg33 would require a LOT of custom fabrication. This is why almost nobody has done it, and why everyone is just saying 'prove it', because we're all sick of bench racing 'vaporware turbo kits'.

So basically... either make the kit..... or don't.

- Rob
Old 04-06-2004, 08:47 PM

Hey, I'm fully aware of that. I also don't believe that just because people have failed at something in the past that it can't be done. If I'm wrong, that's fine like I said, but I believe it can work, and that it can be cheaper. No, I don't know a lot about turbocharging an engine, but its not a complicated concept either, I'll figure it out. And if there's anything I'm saying that doesn't make sense let me know and I'll look into it, maybe I'm wording it wrong or something.

Also, I'm tired of vaporware turbo kits too, that's one more reason why I'm looking into it myself. Do I know something no one else does? No, but maybe I'll see something no one else has in trying it, that's the only way anything new ever happens successfully.

Last edited by Reaper450128; 04-06-2004 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
6psi isnt even in the efficency range for a 16g!!!!!!!!! you CANNOT make that turbo make 6psi of boost on the stock wastegate. You will have to run an external, and i garuntee you that boost creep and compresser surge will be overwhelming. do it right or do it twice, t3/t4 or full t4 is doable.
phil
As my consultant always says, "turbos don't care how much boost they make, they just flow as much air as they can." This turbo can flow 505cfm, that's 2/3s more air than the engine will normally ingest. It will not be restrictive, and it's well in the range the turbo is capable of. I admit, I haven't done the map comparision yet, but I've got the map for the engine done, I just need to compare it to the compressor map, which I'll do when I get a chance. I do have a life besides this. Right now I'm doing this around classes, homework, and work.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
take a step back and realize what we are telling you. People who have a ton of experience with turbos know that making the svx turbo-charged is one hell of a task and definately not a weekend project. You are taking advive from a kid that knows a 2.0 4 cyclinder. Think for a minute, YOU CANNOT DO IT. As i mentioned before, i am a kid too, i know **** about cars. BUT, i don't try to prove professionals wrong because my friends thinks it can be done. The svx can be turbo charged, but it will take tons of fabrication, money, time, and know how, and nothing personal but it sounds to me and a lot of other people that you have none of these. Hey if you can do it, do it and prove us all wrong, but i got a feeling it won't be done on a Wal-Mart paycheck. Stop telling us what you might do and give us raw bleeding facts. Numbers are only weird shapes until aplied, make that your new modo. I'm sick of kids these days, makes me look like one of you idiots who thinks they know it all. Sell ur svx and buy an eclipse if you want a turbo.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
Stop telling us what you might do and give us raw bleeding facts. Numbers are only weird shapes until aplied, make that your new modo. I'm sick of kids these days, makes me look like one of you idiots who thinks they know it all. Sell ur svx and buy an eclipse if you want a turbo.
He has a dream of putting a turbo into his car. Why can't we just let him do it? I don't know why people have to tell him to sell his SVX and buy an eclipse. If he can do it, great. If he fails, well we'll know why. Same people told old boy Edison the same thing. Make your turbo Reaper, whether you fail or not, it'll make you a better person. Screw trying to explain yourself, just do it like the Nike commercial. Heck, I'll fly out there when you are done to check it out.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:21 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper450128

As my consultant always says, "turbos don't care how much boost they make, they just flow as much air as they can." This turbo can flow 505cfm, that's 2/3s more air than the engine will normally ingest. It will not be restrictive, and it's well in the range the turbo is capable of. I admit, I haven't done the map comparision yet, but I've got the map for the engine done, I just need to compare it to the compressor map, which I'll do when I get a chance. I do have a life besides this. Right now I'm doing this around classes, homework, and work.
Ok. as for your buddy with the eclipse. My last car was a low 13s DSM. Witha 16g.

And Turbos care alot about how much boost they make, an internally wastegated turbocharger such as teh tdo04(4cm exhuast wheel)-16g cannot function at a pressure lower then 12 psi. You can try to mess wit hthe actuator rod, have it extended and what not. But hooke your trusty boost guage up to a posotive side feed and you will see that boost will spike well above what your expecting it to no MATTER what. Also, you wont have to worry about routing the wastegate, becuase the wastegate routes DIRECTLY INTO THE EHXUAST VIA THE FLAPPER GATE. It connects to the 02 houseing on a 16g, then the 02 to the downpipe. So you will need an 02 housing as well. Its going to need to be a ported 2g 02 sensor housing or an evoIII housing .. For the wet bearing, your going to need an scavenging pump to send the oil from the pan up to the turbo. you will also need to include a oil cooler in the return line. be sure that your bearing is located top to bottom(you cannot have the turbo laying at an improper angle, as the bearing will not fully utalize gravity). Water lines are straight forward and dont require an auxiliary cooler, just remember to tap before the radiator. Oil cooler would fit nicely aft the radiator. the cooler is absolutely a must for the oil!.

A CT26 off a mkiii toyota supra is damn near a perfect fit . While their turbos are cheap they are known to sometimes have bearing failures. A nice hp gain and they run 8psi boost acutuated via an internal wastegate. If you find one in a yard i recamend taking the collector as well so you can adapt the flange for making your own "collector" Also do another search on my name and turbo and you should find in details some of the problems with running a single turbo on our manifold setup, why it creates boost spike, and some ways maybe you can work on getting rid of it. I believe its in one of chucks threads(cdiggerlando) on his turbo setup.
Hey man, take or leave my critisizm. But alteast hear what im saying andi hope you can see past your anger or frustration with us.
Just tryin to help.

Last edited by Phast SVX; 04-06-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Green1995SVX

Reaper-

You've really got to listen to these guys. They know their s***, and i really dont think you do. Please take their advice.

Best of luck,

Mike
Old 04-07-2004, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Reaper-

You've really got to listen to these guys. They know their s***, and i really dont think you do. Please take their advice.

Best of luck,

Mike
Listen to Mike, I don't know **** , but I don't mind dropping a little change IF you can make it work. Keep an open mind, maybe the others do know what they are talking about. I can't comment much because I lack the knowledge.

Will someone please make a turbo or supercharger that works well for our SVX...please?