IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2001, 06:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
OT -Subaru Demographics

Hi Gang,

I live in the typical middle class suburban development in northern Delaware. There are 75 houses in it. There are now Subarus in 8 of those houses. The cars are mostly Outbacks and Foresters. There is one bright red GT sedan and of course my SVX. We are the only 2 Subaru house in the development.
If Subaru can sell better than 10% of the middle class developments across the country than the outlook is very bright for them.

Larry III
PS: Randy, The guy that owns the red GT sedan is slowly restoring a Triumph Spitfire.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:02 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: OT -Subaru Demographics

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
PS: Randy, The guy that owns the red GT sedan is slowly restoring a Triumph Spitfire.
I'm extremely jealous. Mine was just short of mint. My son and I were lamenting its loss this weekend. Keep me posted on his progress. Perhaps I can live vicariously through his experience.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-16-2001, 11:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Subarus everywhere!

I see more and more Foresters and Outbacks and Legacys everyday. The quintessential New England car. I also see some more in Rochester NY now-a-days when I go to visit the parents.

There are only about four in my 40 or so local homes, but that number is sure to grow.

Subaru is clearly doing something right.

We now have a PT Cruiser too. The guy keeps it VERY clean. I can't blame him, though I like to keep my car clean too.
Old 07-16-2001, 11:10 AM
Lowered SVX

not many subies where i live....

i see an outback every now and then. saw a xt yesterday, it looked really bad. maybe once every six months i see an svx. there are only a handful in memphis. the south does has not really caught on to the suby craze.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-16-2001, 11:13 AM

Brat!

Oh, and I forget about that BRAT that I keep seeing in the Handicap spot at Home Depot. The poor thing has seen betta days. Hard to believe a HC person could drive such a rust bucket.
Old 07-16-2001, 11:20 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Subarus everywhere!

Quote:
Originally posted by jscorse
I see more and more Foresters and Outbacks and Legacys everyday. The quintessential New England car. I also see some more in Rochester NY now-a-days when I go to visit the parents.

There are only about four in my 40 or so local homes, but that number is sure to grow.

Subaru is clearly doing something right.

We now have a PT Cruiser too. The guy keeps it VERY clean. I can't blame him, though I like to keep my car clean too.
I've been noticing "zads" of Outbacks 'round here. They seem to have caught on. Although I noticed there were many "coupes" on the lot, I don't see any of them on the road. They, of course, are mostly wagons. A friend of mine says they have two WRX's on the lot -- I may have to go check it out, just for giggles.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-16-2001, 11:20 AM
Lowered SVX

person with a disability is so much nicer..

i really hate that handicapped word. you could also use disabled person, but person with a disability is by far the most politically correct way to refer to someone with a disability. also try accessible parking space instead of handicapped parking.

here i will dispell a myth. of course most of you know i use a wheelchair and that my car is equipped with a hand control. people think assume that i use the accessible spaces because they are close to the store. wrong, i use the accessible spaces because i need the additional room to be able to open the drivers door all the way so i can get in my car. if i park in a general space and someone parks too close to me then i am screwed. it has happened to me a couple of times, mostly at the university of memphis. i actually had to get someone to back out my car for me. anyway just a little knowledge for you.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-16-2001, 12:13 PM

My appologies on the not so P.C.

Yes, I was aware that you (1994SubaruSVX) where disabled. Great pictures BTW!. But I was unaware that there was a preferance for the correct terminology. So I will refrain from using that common term in respect.

When I see people park in "those" spots who clearly don't need them I want to run a key down their door. People are so friggin' lazy that they don't even want to walk a few dozen more feet.

I DO like those new 'expecting' spots they've put at some grocery stores. When my wife was huge and due I hated to see her try to walk.
Old 07-16-2001, 12:51 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Suby explosion in WA

Well not really an explosion, Subaru has always been pretty popular around here. The older models are everywhere, kind of the poor man's SUV. And the newer Outbacks and Foresters are almost as common as Cherokees and Explorers. And it's not uncommon to see Brats, XT's, Legacy GT's, 2.5 RS's, or even WRX's (sedans or "wagons")! Oh and as I just mentioned earlier, since I've been paying attention, I can usually spot at least one SVX per day, and usually not the same ones! Now if only some of those would have some interest, we could have a nice sized meet up here!
Old 07-16-2001, 01:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
The car demographic here in Ann Arbor (so close to Detroit) is VERY different compared to Vermont, where I lived previously.

I really didn't know that much about Subarus before I moved to Vermont, but it's hard to not notice how many there are. Just about every other car in Vermont is a Subaru. Or a Land Rover Discovery.

Now here in MI I see another SVX maybe once a month. Unless I look, that is, because there's a pearly in Ypsi that I see pretty often.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-16-2001, 01:51 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Chicago:

I have seen a decent amount of subys lately. Outbacks, forresters, legacys -- mostly outbacks AWDs. They have not exploded to the situation like the porche boxters or audis -- you see them at ever other corner you turn. I am glad to say I have seen a couple of SVXes. And even a Wedge (AKA XT). No Brats yet though.
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-16-2001, 01:59 PM
Habesha

DC Area

Mostly Outbacks and Legacy Wagons around here. I do see the odd WRX or 2.5RS though (I even came across an RS with the tell-tale pink "i" on the front, heh). I've seen a disporportionate number of SVX's though - probably 7 different ones (unfortunately none are mine - oh to sell my soul for an SVX). Even rarer are the 2.5GT's and the MY00+ GT's. I've seen all of 3 on the road. There are three XT's running around, but I haven't seen any Brats yet. I have seen quite a few Loayles, GL's, and even one Rex (not the Impreza Rex, the old Rex turbo).
Old 07-17-2001, 09:42 AM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Re: DC Area

Quote:
Originally posted by Habesha
Mostly Outbacks and Legacy Wagons around here. I do see the odd WRX or 2.5RS though (I even came across an RS with the tell-tale pink "i" on the front, heh). I've seen a disporportionate number of SVX's though - probably 7 different ones (unfortunately none are mine - oh to sell my soul for an SVX). Even rarer are the 2.5GT's and the MY00+ GT's. I've seen all of 3 on the road. There are three XT's running around, but I haven't seen any Brats yet. I have seen quite a few Loayles, GL's, and even one Rex (not the Impreza Rex, the old Rex turbo).
I probably see the same seven or so that you see. There is a guy from Pennsylvania that has a green '97 in the apartments where I live. Unfortunately, shortly after he arrived he was "welcomed" by being rear-ended; it was none too pretty. The car was gone for more than a month before I saw it again. Now that it's back, I haven't been able to catch up to the guy. Anyways, there are a lot of SVX's in this area, about three or four that I see on a regular basis.

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Old 07-17-2001, 09:53 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Re: Re: OT -Subaru Demographics

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I'm extremely jealous. Mine was just short of mint. My son and I were lamenting its loss this weekend. Keep me posted on his progress. Perhaps I can live vicariously through his experience.
I helped restore a Triumph GT6, a few years back. Also restored 3 Midget's. I love old brit cars. Too bad I like the new ones as well. Some day I will trade in my SVX for a Lotus Esprit...just as soon as the V8's get cheaper. Heck for that matter, I'm probably going to trade in my CBR for that new Daytona 955i...its sweet. I've wanted a Daytona for as long as I can remember.

Ahhh, dreaming.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 07-17-2001, 10:00 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Colorado / Denver Area

Maybe its the snow in winter...or maybe they just like them. But DAMN there are Suby's everywhere! I have never seen so many Subaru's in one city in my life. Mostly legacy Gt's but you see a ton of RS's as well. I like in an apartment, 3 doors down is a WRX, across the driveway is a legacy GT, and one down from him is an Outback. I got the grand welcome the day I brought my SVX home from the Ford dealer!

The large amount of them probably adds to why I see so many SVX's. Which makes me wonder. Do we have business cards or something I could place on wipers? I swear I see at LEAST 5 a week. However almost always in parking lots, like at the grocery store. It woudl be nice to invite them to the club.

I know for sure I've appreciated being here, maybe they will too. Just an idea.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com