How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-28-2002, 02:54 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Talking Brake Problem FIXED

I have a brake problem. When I stomp on the brakes at 80 or so and slow down fast, pushing on the brake peddle hard, the car stops just fine. So that's not a problem

However, if I try to do that again when the brakes are hot, the car jerks forward with a stopping motion and there is a loud grinding noise up front. The jerking motion is violent, a real stutter.

But there is absolutely no pulse in the steering wheel when the barkes are hot It does not feel like a wrapped rotor.

Any ideas on this? The brake pads are worn down with about 40% left on them.

Thanks

30 April, 2003 Edit> This problem was caused by sticking front caliphers. The caliphers were rusting due to torn boots.

Last edited by svx_commuter; 04-30-2003 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:13 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Brake Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

Any ideas on this? Thanks
Don't do that. (Sorry, had to beat Mummert to it)
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-28-2002, 04:15 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Re: Brake Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
the car jerks forward with a stopping motion and there is a loud grinding noise up front.
"...jerks forward with a stopping motion..."??? Can you explain this a little more clearly? I have a thought on this but would like to understand your symtoms better.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:12 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
My brakes would do this on high speed stops - doing 120 - 70 in a short time- the car shakes violently and the brakes are pretty worthless until they cooled down some. It did it even with new pads. My rotors were paper thin but not warped and the steering wheel never shook under normal braking. I always attributed it to the thin rotors heating up way too fast.

New rotors all the way around and new fluid and I have no problems anymore.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:54 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: Re: Brake Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Don't do that. (Sorry, had to beat Mummert to it)

Day-umm, second place finish agin!

To SBX-Commuter: I guess I envy your "commute" for sheer excitement. I've had to really jam on the brakes at high speed ONCE in almost two years of SVX ownership, & I guarantee you that them rotors had plenty of time to cool down while I laundered my soiled skivvies from the FIRST panic stop. Must be them Joisey drivers!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
My brakes would do this on high speed stops - doing 120 - 70 in a short time- the car shakes violently and the brakes are pretty worthless until they cooled down some. It did it even with new pads. My rotors were paper thin but not warped and the steering wheel never shook under normal braking. I always attributed it to the thin rotors heating up way too fast.

There were several of us who had these symptoms at the Canaan Valley meet, but it only seemed to be happening to the Pearlies (John H., Rufus and Myself). Thought the front end was going to come out from under the car. I haven't replaced the rotors, yet, but will before I do any more "mountaineering."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-28-2002, 09:44 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Lightbulb

Quote:

There were several of us who had these symptoms at the Canaan Valley meet, but it only seemed to be happening to the Pearlies (John H., Rufus and Myself). Thought the front end was going to come out from under the car. I haven't replaced the rotors, yet, but will before I do any more "mountaineering."

OK - In an attempt to be semi-serious here, could the acronym "ABS" have anything to do with the described condition? If the system engages due to slippage, why not slippage due to heat? Obviously pearlies are more suseptible due to sun spot activity & refractive reverberation.

So there! Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 10-28-2002 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
I'm heading to limerock in 2 weeks for a track day. 4-30min session should let me know how good my brakes really are, especially after heating up!

I'm running the Raceconcepts slotted/dimple drilled rotors in the front and metal-master pads all around, with Synthetic Fluid and SS Lines.

-mike
Old 10-29-2002, 08:21 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Paisan
I'm heading to limerock in 2 weeks for a track day. 4-30min session should let me know how good my brakes really are, especially after heating up!

I'm running the Raceconcepts slotted/dimple drilled rotors in the front and metal-master pads all around, with Synthetic Fluid and SS Lines.

-mike
Mike, I'm guessing that, since you've replaced your rotors, you won't show these symptoms. Hope not, anyway. You don't need that kinda aggravation on the track. Also, I hear (and hope to find out some day) that the SS lines are great -- Keep us posted, and may the Seven Sisters look out for you.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-29-2002, 10:24 AM

Re: Re: Brake Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny

"...jerks forward with a stopping motion..."??? Can you explain this a little more clearly? I have a thought on this but would like to understand your symtoms better.
The best I can discribe this would be that the braking feels normal and then there is a grab- then normal- then a grab and it keeps on repeating. The cycle feels to be about 1/2 sec long. 1/2 sec grab- 1/2 sec normal- etc.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: Brake Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Day-umm, second place finish agin!

To SBX-Commuter: I guess I envy your "commute" for sheer excitement. I've had to really jam on the brakes at high speed ONCE in almost two years of SVX ownership, & I guarantee you that them rotors had plenty of time to cool down while I laundered my soiled skivvies from the FIRST panic stop. Must be them Joisey drivers!

Ron.
Hi Ron,

Let me clear something up here. This never happens during my commute I am always a long way behind the car in front of me. At least 3 seconds or more. None of my extracurricular activity takes place on the highway with crowds, it is always off on a deserted back road somewhere with no one else around.

You see I learned from my first panic stop on rt 80 years ago If you can drive in the NYC metro area in the rain, on a Friday, at 5pm, in December, (as in it's dark) you can drive anywhere iwth a large supply of Depends.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby

This is most likely my problem as my rotors are worn down below the minimum values. I guess there isn't much life to these rotors.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Okay it's nice to know I am not alone on this. Yes it does show up more in the mountains. Thanks
Old 10-29-2002, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

OK - In an attempt to be semi-serious here, could the acronym "ABS" have anything to do with the described condition? If the system engages due to slippage, why not slippage due to heat? Obviously pearlies are more suseptible due to sun spot activity & refractive reverberation.

So there! Ron.
Hi Ron,

ABS is for slippage between the tyre and the road and NOT the pad and the disk. Altough it has shown up more on a Sunny Day when the sun spots are more or less active.

ABS at 70 mph

They have linked Sunspots with the global weather paterns, a very nice piece of work.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:26 AM
I look like Gordon

Quote:

You know, Randy, I have been on several "sporting" mountain drives in the car since then, and the symptoms have never reappeared... I am starting to think that we were probably sabotaged by envious drivers of "lesser" colored cars...