Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-16-2002, 02:55 PM

New motor is having problems

I finally put the other motor in my svx and it started right up only to die about 10 seconds later. this became a continuing problem. the check engine light never came on, it seems as if it is suffering from a loss of fuel (the pump works). I'm about to go check the codes but since the check engine light never came on I don't think I'll find anything. Next step would be to swap airflow sensors. My guess would be a sensor on the motor since it has been sitting for 2 years, but I don't know which one.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-17-2002, 05:30 PM

*UPDATE*

I got the car to run but it will not idle. below 1400rpm the car seems to miss some and above 1400 it "runs like a top". It finally through a check engine light and the codes were MAF and a knock sensor. I doubt the MAF is bad but the car may have a idle air control valve that is stuck open or something. I don't know, maybe I'm just in denial because I don't want to burn money on a MAF sensor.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-18-2002, 08:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Man, that really sounds like a mass airflow sensor to me. If you take a car that runs well, disconnect the MAF and start it, it'll do exactly what you're describing.

But it could also be the idle air control valve. It might not open correctly. The IAC valve on my wife's Legacy was really sticky and the car idled terribly, sometimes stalling. I cleaned it out, fixed the vacuum leaks I found, and it runs like a champ now.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-18-2002, 09:25 AM
Green1995SVX

I agree that it sounds like a MAF problem.

Mike
Old 10-18-2002, 11:06 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
But it could also be the idle air control valve. It might not open correctly. The IAC valve on my wife's Legacy was really sticky and the car idled terribly, sometimes stalling. I cleaned it out, fixed the vacuum leaks I found, and it runs like a champ now.
when the IAC get stuck open, your will have a fluttering idle from usually 500-1400 (depending on where it cuts fuel) the engine wil eventually cut fuel when idle reaches to high, and you have a repeating process...it would also explan the stalls...check the resisitance between all the coils with an ohmmeter and it will find out real quick if that is your problem...if one of them is over a 1000 you have found your problem!....sounds like maf to me to, ever tried to start a car with the maf unpluged? You have to kep it up over a 1000 to keep it running
phil
Old 10-18-2002, 11:20 AM

all of the coils were reading .9 ohms. I too had thought the IAC to be clogged but couldn't find one in the shop book so I began to think the svx didn't have one as it doesn't seem to have an ISC. When I unplugged the MAF, I had the same exact problem I'm experiencing now. Oh well, there goes another 300 bones into the time bomb.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by listed
all of the coils were reading .9 ohms. I too had thought the IAC to be clogged but couldn't find one in the shop book so I began to think the svx didn't have one as it doesn't seem to have an ISC. When I unplugged the MAF, I had the same exact problem I'm experiencing now. Oh well, there goes another 300 bones into the time bomb.
There's the answer, Mr. Spock. Bad MAF. I remember some discussion about whether or not the MAF from the Impreza or Legacy are the same thing. Does anybody remember? I can't recall whether they turned out to be interchangable or not.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE