Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-07-2002, 12:10 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Exclamation Stereo wiring harness found!

I finally bought a new stereo and pulled out my factory radio. (BTW, many thanks to svxeno and Gavin Haslett for the docs on the SVX Stereo Installation!)

I saw the many other posts from people who tried just about every stereo and accessory retailer out there, but couldn't find the correct wiring harness for the SVX. Not ready to cut off the factory audio plug -- I'll likely want to put the old radio back in when I sell the car -- I spent the last several days looking for a connector that would work, and have actually found one. Well, sort of...

What I found could work, but will require some surgery. Before I post the information, I'm going to talk to the manufacturer to see if they have an even closer match. And then I'll perform the surgery, so I can say how difficult it actually turned out to be.

There have been enough recurring posts asking about this that I'm also going to ask the company, "What would it take for you to make a batch of the 'right' connector?" (e.g. what minimum quantity, sold in bulk to a single buyer [who in turn would sell smaller numbers to interested SVX owners and clubs]). [Please don't bother posting replies saying "Yes, I'd be interested in that" yet; let's see what quantity the company says first.]

So my question to you all: Could someone who has actually seen the connector in all of the model years please tell me which ones are the same. Are the 94-97 all identically-shaped connectors? And does the pinout stay exactly the same, or do any of the wires change over the years? Please, only answer if you are 100% sure. Another way to tell is whether a factory radio from one year will work in any/all of the other years.

If no one person has seen them all, then I'd like to hear from people who can tell me what each individual year looks like. A picture would be great. And if you know it is the same as any other year(s), say which ones.

Gavin's doc mentions that the 92 and 93 SVX's had the same connector as some other Subaru, but nothing specific. Does anyone know which "other, older Subaru" these match? Is that stereo harness commonly available? How much different is the 92/93 connector from the 94-97?

_______
David C.
1996 Blue

Last edited by SVXdc; 10-23-2002 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:29 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Stereo wiring harness found! And I need info on each model year

So my question to you all: Could someone who has actually seen the connector in all of the model years please tell me which ones are the same.

ALL SVX connectors for the stereos are the same. The pin-out info is on a website somwhere and with a little search, you will find it.

As for the connector you've found for the harness, which one are you using? I am somewhat interested. I just splice the wires rather than cut them. Cutting them is just not right.

As for the wires for the speakers, get the ones for toyota. They fit in perfectly on the SVX.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-07-2002, 12:29 AM

Sorry I'm not answering your question exactly, just
wanted to mention that autotoys.com has some sort of
Subaru harness adapter. It would still require you to custom
wire it to your stereo, but it should plug into car harness. This way you could unplug your system and plug back the stock one
when you are ready to sell the car.

I don't know if this stuff fits SVX, but the range of models is wide enough to risk it :-)

• Summary for SUBARU 1993+ 8901:

Subaru 1993+ Plug In Harness, wire an aftermarket wire harness easily (8901)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
•Details (the nitty gritty):

Plugs into factory harness ; Plug your new radio into the factory harness without cutting ;When you trade or return your lease car, plug your factory radio back in because you are able to ; Color coded leads with instructions ; SUBARU FORESTER 1998-2001
SUBARU IMPREZA/OUTBACK SPORT COUPE 1993-2001
SUBARU LEGACY/OUTBACK 1995-2001
SUBARU LEGACY WAGON 1990-1999

$11.00
Old 10-07-2002, 12:31 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
<<• Summary for SUBARU 1993+ 8901:

Subaru 1993+ Plug In Harness, wire an aftermarket wire harness easily (8901)
SUBARU FORESTER 1998-2001
SUBARU IMPREZA/OUTBACK SPORT COUPE 1993-2001
SUBARU LEGACY/OUTBACK 1995-2001
SUBARU LEGACY WAGON 1990-1999
>>

If it fits the late model impreza and outback, that is not it. SVX has a different connector.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-07-2002, 01:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Exclamation Re: Stereo wiring harness found! Now need digital picture

Update:

I talked to the stereo harness manufacturer. When connectors like this are available from another company, they just use those and package them with the nifty color-coded wires. Otherwise they make connectors from scratch (they have their own plastics plant).

Several years back, when they looked into making harnesses for the SVX, they found that the only version of that gender available was a PC board mount (the part that Panasonic built into the radio). The SVX never had enough numbers to justify making an in-line version from scratch.

The connector I found (that I am trying to hack to work in the SVX) is actually made by another company, who is the same company that made the PC board mount connector for the SVX radio. The guy I spoke with will ask this other company if they now have an in-line version. If not, I'll at least get specifics on the PC board mount version -- using that would be easier than the hacking I'm about to do.

He asked me to send him a photo of the connector on the back of the SVX radio. Would somebody with a digital camera please post one? As close-up as possible (yet still in focus) would be helpful, perhaps with a metric ruler just below it. If you want to include a second picture of the SVX's connector (what is wired into the car), that would be nice, but we mainly need the radio side connector.

_______
David C.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:26 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

92 and 93 owners - does your factory radio look like this photo?

I've posted a photo of my 1996 SVX's factory radio connector in my locker, here (click on photo to see larger image).

Would people who own a '92 and '93 SVX please confirm that their factory radio connectors look like this? If the information in svxeno's and Gavin's doc (which says the 92/93 is different) really is an "urban legend," I'd like to put that to rest so we can update the doc.

I downloaded the SVX radio/CD wiring diagram Seraph refered to, which I've also posted in my locker. (Can't remember where I got it so I could give credit ). Found at least 3 errors/ommissions on it (concerning pins 4, 13, 14, and 16). I'll post more info in a few days; no time right now -- about to drive out of town (which is why I've been in a hurry to get my new radio working ).

_______
David C.

Last edited by SVXdc; 01-13-2003 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:00 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I am not changing my stereo. I like my stock one fine.
But I thought that maybe Crutchfield or Tweeter would have it and they don't.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:25 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Smile

Here are some follow-ups (sorry for the delay):

The Connector Hacking project-
The harness for certain models of Hyundai looks very similar to what the SVX needs, but has fewer pins. I bought two of these and cut them into three pieces that together fit the SVX. It took many hours of cutting, filing, and sanding. They were like a 3-D jigsaw puzzle. Trust me, it ain't worth the effort!

Harness Manufacturers selling the proper connector for the SVX-
They just aren't interested. It's not going to happen.

But all of that is moot- During my research, I found the correct connector for the SVX (no hacking required!). I've purchased a batch of those and the color-coded wires, and am offering them for sale. Please see my post here, in the For Sale forum, for more info.

_______
David C.
1996 Laguna Blue SVX L

Last edited by SVXdc; 10-20-2002 at 07:39 AM.