Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-26-2003, 03:23 PM
Lasher

fresh codes, from today...

starter switch or circuit
air flow meter or circuit (still, of course)
EGR solenoid or circuit
and finally, throttle sensor

I experienced that 'dying after the highway' mentioned above today, as well.

ALSO, it just seemed to be running poorly today; little power, weak responsiveness, coasting...

and this... <shudder> Was on the highway, and hit the gas pretty hard (hard enough to go into power mod), and instead of the nice, usual umph, my precious stuttered.... sort of a pulsing acceleration.. vroom/coast/vroom/coast/vroom/coast... maybe about half a second of vroom, then it nothing for another half a second, then again, etc...

thissux...

~Nick
Old 03-26-2003, 05:38 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Lasher,

At least you get a MAF fault code (code 23). I struggled with my problems without a single code.

For the $50-75 for a used one, it's not a bad trial and error. If it doesn't work out, you could always resell it...

If the MAF is at fault, you're probably suffering at least a 10% decrease in mileage as well...

Good luck.

VK
Old 03-26-2003, 08:26 PM
Gabriel

hey Lasher,

your symptoms as you just described them today, are EXACTLY what i have been experiencing....

Gabe
Old 03-26-2003, 08:33 PM
Lasher

Ok, so there are at least three of us with (most likely) the same problem, currently. We should really keep in touch on this. The knowledge of those experienced enough to offer advice here is an incredible resource, but, of course, will not fix our cars...

that being said..

My next step is to attempt to track down the MAF... No single auto parts store on the planet seems to stock, or even know where to find this item.. and that means dealer... and that means $$$$$
I would love to find a used somewhere, perhaps from a parts-car, or a junkyard, but I am having incredible difficulty finding such a car. Methinks I'll begin a new thread on the subject.

thisstillsux...

~Nick
Old 03-26-2003, 10:05 PM
The Road Less Traveled

http://www.car-part.com

Don't y'all fight over the same part now...

Good luck.

VK
Old 03-26-2003, 10:09 PM
MINEZ BETTER

Quote:
Originally posted by Lasher
Ok, so there are at least three of us with (most likely) the same problem, currently. We should really keep in touch on this. The knowledge of those experienced enough to offer advice here is an incredible resource, but, of course, will not fix our cars...

that being said..

My next step is to attempt to track down the MAF... No single auto parts store on the planet seems to stock, or even know where to find this item.. and that means dealer... and that means $$$$$
I would love to find a used somewhere, perhaps from a parts-car, or a junkyard, but I am having incredible difficulty finding such a car. Methinks I'll begin a new thread on the subject.

thisstillsux...

~Nick
exsplan what exsactly happens to your car, how it reacts, if you need a air flow meter, i have one or can get new much cheaper that the dealer whats. its o.e.
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 03-27-2003, 08:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Hey guys,

I just started to read this thread with high interest since I have a '92 that **used** to have this problem. Sounds like you guys are on the right track to a cure but I thought I add my experience here for what it's worth. My memory is a little sketchy since this hasn't happened for some time. At the time my alternator was bad & the mysterious stalling would take place on occasion. Perhaps this is a coincidence but this problem hasn't resurfaced since the new alternator went in.

If someone on this list happen to have an extra MAF to lend out, perhaps it can be mailed around to other problem owners to aid in the process of elimination of this pesky problem.

Just my .02 cents.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 03-27-2003, 04:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Possibly even the battery as well. I have a battery that will work fine for a couple days then barely starts the car at all. It's rated at 875CCA but when tested only reported 350CCA. It was throwing about 6 engine codes as well.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:04 PM
Boone

Hmm.. Clean/tighten the connections at the alternator.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:23 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

My similar cut off problems were solved when I replaced the MAF sensor. I got mine from subaruparts.com. It was about $100 cheaper than the dealer.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:01 PM
Lasher

jsvxstyle- my symptoms are best described in Gabriel's post.
I'm not sure if it is the MAF I need, though, judging by the responses we've had, I believe it is.. especially since I got that code from the ignition diagnostic.

anybody/everybody that has had this problem in the past-- Would the MAF cause my transmission to shift poorly?? (IHOPEIHOPEIHOPE) Shifting in low gears, my svx has been revving/coasting. I'm very concerned.

If, in fact, the MAF is bad, I would love to get my hands on one in any way possible.. though I am broke as a joke. I rather liked Alia's idea to mail one around for testing purposes. If anybody would be willing to lend one for this purpose, I'm sure we would all greatly appreciate it; I know I would. Perhaps we could come up with a fair reimbursement for this.

If, in fact, the MAF is not my only problem, and the transmission is actually going bad... I'll be forced to shoot the car and buy a nice schwinn or something. I would love to part it out for everybody, but I doubt I could afford not to sell it. Anybody know somewhere I can get some parts/service financed? Or on some sort of payment plan? HAH!

Best case scenario: MAF is bad, I can replace it inexpensively, I can get to fixing the exterior before somebody sees my precious and posts a picture of what horrid shape it is in.

~Nick: using his day off to avoid driving his SVX...

Old 03-28-2003, 07:32 PM
Gabriel

hey, i saw someone mention the alternator- i was kinda concerned about mine anyway, quite apart from the cutting out problem.

If the car is idling with the lights on at night, and i rev it, sometimes they get brighter. Might this suggest the alternator is involved in the cutting out? Perhaps the ignition isnt getting a constant power/current feed during driving.

I don't think there is a battery problem, I just had a new Diehard Gold put in.

Gabe
Old 03-28-2003, 08:34 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Gabe,

Take a voltmeter and measure the voltage at the cigarette socket at idle and at, say, 2500RPM, and report back here. That won't rule in or out the alternator, but would give you an idea whether there's a problem with the electrical system or not. But I would doubt the electrical system causing your cutting out issue; if it did you'd loose all power (including the lights on the dash, and radio, etc.) instead of the engine just starting to stall out.

Lasher,

Could you describe your shifting problem in more detail?

BTW, there's another thread where another member says a 95 Impreza MAF is a good substitute for our MAF's.

VK
Old 03-29-2003, 12:30 AM
Lasher

Well, the shifting problem doesn't seem too serious.. I hope.
When shifting up from 1st to 2nd, and especially from 2nd to 3rd, she seems to hesitate... the rpms go up, obviously in response to the gas which is being applied; but the car coasts, as though I had slipped it into to neutral for a second or two.

I read tonight, on a web-site belonging to one of our members.. (who's was that; sorry to forget) that there is an adjusment on a particular bolt which can be made, which might remedy this, so I plan on trying that soon.

I apologize for being so vague, but I only skimmed over the web site once, and that was a few hours ago.

I might add that I drove my precious down the street earlier, to grab some food, and she didn't seem to be shifting improperly... I'm hoping that the trouble is solely related to the air flow meter (which I intend to grab off an Impreza soon, if I can't find a true SVX MAF at a decent price).

Old 03-29-2003, 01:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
It's called the brake band and that screw isn't easy to get to from what I've read. Mine does the same thing, especially in slow sweeping turns, like coming down an offramp and turning on to a side street without stopping.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Lasher
Well, the shifting problem doesn't seem too serious.. I hope.
When shifting up from 1st to 2nd, and especially from 2nd to 3rd, she seems to hesitate... the rpms go up, obviously in response to the gas which is being applied; but the car coasts, as though I had slipped it into to neutral for a second or two.

I read tonight, on a web-site belonging to one of our members.. (who's was that; sorry to forget) that there is an adjusment on a particular bolt which can be made, which might remedy this, so I plan on trying that soon.