Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Re: Zero Pressure Waterless Coolant?

Here is Evans Technical's overnight response to my inquiry:
Quote:
Glenn:
We have not been involved with one of the SVX application, we have done a lot of WRX conversions. In general the WRX is just a coolant change in stock form with performance upgrades or racing usage we suggest an aftermarket improved radiator. Its my understanding the EG33 is a longer version of the EJ22. If the EG33 engine has a problem with hot spots using Evans HPC/NPG +C coolant will eliminate the problem but keep in mind that by doing so Evans is absorbing the excess heat from the location that water could not. This ability could translate into higher operating temperatures especially if the system is stressed already. This increase is the reason behind the better aftermarket radiator for the WRX, in your case a new OEM radiator might also be sufficient. The change in pressure cap requirement could help the top tank issue but due to the location of the cap you cannot decrease it below 13 psi.
I agree this is a conversion worth considering, and not a "penny turbo" grade gizmo. Looking forward to feedback report from anyone beating me to the punch.

Glenn

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 03-02-2012, 11:49 AM

Registered SVX

glenn,
would you put this in your cadillac?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
glenn,
would you put this in your cadillac?
Funny you should ask. I'm about to bring up the subject on the Caddy owner's forum I belong to and see if anyone is currently using it. To be truthful, (knocking on wood) I've had zero cooling issues with the Northstar V8 in Stormy over nearly 2 years of ownership. The damn thing has large cooling and lubrication capacity too. 13 qts coolant, 8 qts of M1, and 15 qts of ATF. There are factory reps on that board and I'm curious about their take on the subject.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
glenn,
would you put this in your Cadillac?
A better question might be: Glen, if everyone was using the waterless system, and someone came up with a new idea to just start using water and antifreeze, would you drain the waterless coolant out and put water and antifreeze in your Cadillac, so you could start draining the system and buying new antifreeze every year for the next 100K miles?
They say NPG+ is good for100K miles.

From the web... http://www.hrpworld.com/client_image...ader/683_4.pdf This link applies to several different types of engines but it is pretty well laid out for cars like the SVX.

"When using a coolant pump other than an Evans pump the weep hole must be plugged.
I would like a clarification on the water pump "weep" hole getting plugged for the NPG+, the one recommended for our changeover, and if plugging the weep hole would apply to the SVX.

From the web... again
"It is possible for air to be drawn in to the pump through the weep hole and passed the bearing shaft seal. A small pipe plug or silicone will do the job."

"To insure complete removal of old coolant, flush with Evans PREP fluid, or use the hot-purge procedure." But... Hot purge procedure can not be used on computer controlled vehicles. so... I suppose I am leaning toward the Evans PREP fluid.

We do not have a heat problem when our cars are functioning properly, but one thing to be careful about when changing over to NPG+ would be the "air pocket" that many have when putting in any new coolant after the system has been drained.

My method of disconnecting the top radiator hose at the radiator, putting coolant in the radiator, then pouring additional coolant directly into the large hose that was disconnected at the top of the radiator, has always worked like a dream for me to prevent that "air pocket". Naturally, after filling the system, we should run the car a bit and keep monitoring the coolant level.

This is going to be interesting!

SVXFILES will know the coolant capacity of our cars! Please share that information, SVXFILES!

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 03-02-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:55 PM

Registered SVX

i would be curious about the caddilac because they have known issues with the cooling system. i know i had an sts. that's why they hold so much coolant and have multiple fans and some can even shut down cylinders to pump air through to cool the engine. i would think it would be a better test than the svx. a high compression 300 horse v8 sandwiched on top of a transaxle with the exhaust running between them is about as hard to cool as you can get on a stock front engine vehicle. mine always ran hot when driving it hard (like you shouldn't really be driving a caddy but it was more than capable of doing) and i hated it. watching that needle get close to the hot while powering up the mountains over a hundred mph is unnerving. but gm says this is "normal". if something happens to go wrong then you immediately have head gasket issues which means lifting the body off to do the back one.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
i would be curious about the caddilac because they have known issues with the cooling system. i know i had an sts. that's why they hold so much coolant and have multiple fans and some can even shut down cylinders to pump air through to cool the engine. i would think it would be a better test than the svx. a high compression 300 horse v8 sandwiched on top of a transaxle with the exhaust running between them is about as hard to cool as you can get on a stock front engine vehicle. mine always ran hot when driving it hard (like you shouldn't really be driving a caddy but it was more than capable of doing) and i hated it. watching that needle get close to the hot while powering up the mountains over a hundred mph is unnerving. but gm says this is "normal". if something happens to go wrong then you immediately have head gasket issues which means lifting the body off to do the back one.
Buy American!!!

Keith
Old 03-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Keith, I've gone back to Evans regarding your "weep-hole" question, and will certainly pass on his response here.

"Snow", Thankfully the '05 and newer STS is a rear drive machine, with some or all of the previous HG issues corrected. Only real "problem" I've had is keeping the battery charged if she sits for more than a week. I use a "Tender" now to avoid running down the new battery. Funny though, many owners advise to "Drive it like you stole it!" to keep it running right. I've posted to the Caddy board and await responses from users (hopefully) and the factory guys as far as coolant conversion. Gotta tell you, the V8 STS is a Beast, with magneto-rheological adjustable Touring/Sport struts, 320HP, and Conti DWS tires to replace the ridiculously hard OEM Michelins. BUT, I still prefer my BlackBerry for traveling the back roads of rural California and the Sierra Nevada.

Glenn

Old 03-02-2012, 02:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Buy American!!!

Keith
i bought my caddy for 6k with 60k miles. cost 66k new. sometimes it's worth it.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
i bought my caddy for 6k with 60k miles. cost 66k new. sometimes it's worth it.
We did about the same thing. we did get our moneys worth that way, but the original owner sure didn't! Ours got a little over 100k total on the clock before it gave up the ghost. It was basically just worn out.

Went down and bought my first Subaru, a 90 legacy wagon, and it had 300,000+ on it when some ornamental 16 year old "girl" type did something really stupid that totally destroyed it with me in it!

Even with all those miles on it, I wouldn't have been afraid to walk out the door, start it up, and drive it across America.

Keith
Old 03-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Picked my STS up for just under $20K with 39K miles on it, and only reservation I've had was MPG, pulling about 21mpg at steady 72mph. It's a pleasure to travel long distances in, conversing in hushed tones, unless I've got the 15 speaker Bose DVD system cranked up. Great way to transport elderly (93) Pa-in-Law and my slightly less elderly Mother (80) around in, rather than the noisy, hard riding lowered Legacy wagon.
Keith, my second Subie was a 91 LS 5-spd wagon, and that car was bullet-proof, finally sold to a friend with 160K miles on it when I bought the 98 GT. She put another 40K on it b4 passing it on for same $$ she paid me.

Glenn

Old 03-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
Keith, I've gone back to Evans regarding your "weep-hole" question, and will certainly pass on his response here.
Glenn
Thanks! I am anxious to get this going!!

Take care,
Keith
Old 03-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Registered SVX

my sts got 36 on the highway 26 in town. the new ones must be heavier.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
my sts got 36 on the highway 26 in town. the new ones must be heavier.
Or maybe lower axle ratios, mine being a 3.23 "Performance" ratio, with posi and performance brakes as well. Much different machines. 36 mpg? Really? You yank both my legs!!

Glenn

Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 AM

Registered SVX

that's what it was getting. i drove from denver to vegas and only stopped once. check the cadillac forums that's on the high end of typical for a '96. it also helps that i had iridium plugs, new injectors (because they were cheap), new oxygen sensors, high flow air intake, performance exhaust, and changed the oil with m1 about every 500 miles.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

OK, I believe ya! Funny that in those days of more reasonable fuel prices a Caddy would pull such good numbers and roll forward nearly 10 years, with fuel up substantially, to find mpg so badly degraded. My car will do 0-60mph in about 5.5 seconds though!

Glenn