Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Zero Pressure Waterless Coolant?

Hey guys, my eldest just sent me a link to a Bimmer forum, describing use of Evans Waterless Coolant, espousing it's use to decrease cooling problems/blown radiators, raise mileage 10%, and last indefinitely (albeit at a premium price!). I don't recall seeing this discussed on this forum, and a search found nothing. Here's the manufacturer's link.
http://www.evanscooling.com/
Anyone have any real world experience with this product, or try it in their SVX?

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 02-29-2012, 05:15 PM

Re: Zero Pressure Waterless Coolant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
Hey guys, my eldest just sent me a link to a Bimmer forum, describing use of Evans Waterless Coolant, espousing it's use to decrease cooling problems/blown radiators, raise mileage 10%, and last indefinitely (albeit at a premium price!). I don't recall seeing this discussed on this forum, and a search found nothing. Here's the manufacturer's link.
http://www.evanscooling.com/
Anyone have any real world experience with this product, or try it in their SVX?

Glenn
No real world experience from me, but some theoretical rebuttal. The whole premise of increased fuel economy appears to be because you can run hotter temparatures and reduce cooling fan usage. This requires A) a higher temperature thermostat (not likely available for the SVX), and B) a mechanical belt driven fan (not present on the SVX).

The idea of hotter temperatures seems suspect, given that engine (and transmission!) tolerances are for very specific coolant temperatures. Raising them could have very very bad side effects on bearing wear, cylinder wear, etc.

The site linked seems geared to heavy duty and/or trucking applications, where you would (I'm guessing) have more control over certain related functions. Specifically:
•Evans Waterless Coolants allow most engines to safely operate at a higher temperature. Engines can be safely tuned for more power or better fuel efficiency.
•When trapped heat is eliminated from the cooling system non-computer regulated engines can operate at higher temperature increasing engine efficiency.

Neither of those bullet points would you be able to apply to an SVX. Well, so long as it's an EG33 equipped SVX still...

It seems like it could have benefits in motorsports or heavy duty applications, where you have complete control of your tune, desired operating temperature, etc, but absolutely zero benefit for passenger car use...
Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I don't like the high viscosity. One might need a special "water" pump.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I don't like the high viscosity. One might need a special "water" pump.
On the website it says:

Conversion Process
How it works » Conversion Process
You can attain all of the benefits of the Evans Cooling System with ease. Quite simply, Evans Cooling Systems require no major mechanical changes, just a parts exchange. You may need the specialized NPG™ coolant pump, NPG™ radiator with a non - pressurized radiator cap as well as the new Evans NPG™ Coolant. With a few tools and our easy to follow, step - by - step, instructions, you can easily and safely convert your vehicle to the Evans NPG™ Cooling Systems in a couple of hours.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I wonder if DessertRunner might find this of interest. IIRC he was having cooling problems about a while ago.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 PM

Registered SVX

if someone is stupid enough to put that in a bimmer they deserve the consequences. it would be hard to implement in the svx let alone a car with multiple water pumps and an electric thermostat.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
My initial reaction was one of skepticism, but this stuff seems pretty interesting.

Quote:
Evans NPG Coolant and related components are designed with the ability to reduce hot spots while raising the coolant boiling point and decreasing the volume of vapor generated when compared to typical ethylene glycol / water (EGW) mixtures. Race car testing has shown that even if forced to operate at up to 300° F, detonation control and previously forbidden combustion pressures and temperatures are no longer the danger they were to thermal engine efficiency and durability.Within all cooling systems is the normal occurring phenomenon called Nucleate Boiling:

Nucleate boiling is the boiling that takes place when liquid coolant comes in direct contact with the hot metal of the engine block or cylinder heads which has reached or exceeded the boiling point of the coolant.

http://www.evanscooling.com/how-it-w...fferentiators/
Quote:
Is Evans advocating operating engines at substantially higher temperatures?
Not really. Operating temperatures are normally only slightly warmer than those of water-based coolant. When the engine is stressed and temperatures rise, the cooling system can accommodate that increase in temperature without cooling system failures.

How does Evans Waterless Heavy Duty Coolant save fuel?
In spark ignition engines Evans Waterless Heavy Duty Coolant saves fuel by better control of metal temperatures and the avoidance of hot spots. The consequent reduction of knock permits more efficient spark settings on engines having electronic controls with knock sensing inputs. In heavy duty engines having on-off fan clutches, the “on” temperature can be increased to 230° F, keeping the fan off a large percentage of the time and reducing a significant source of parasitic drag.

Evans Waterless Heavy Duty Coolant contains a blend of glycols, including ethylene glycol, which is toxic. How toxic is Evans Waterless Heavy Duty Coolant?
Evans Waterless Heavy Duty Coolant contains a substance that inhibits the metabolism of ethylene glycol, preventing its toxic metabolites from forming. In tests on rats according to EPA regulations, no rats died eating Evans Waterless Heavy Duty Coolant, even in quantities that completely filled the stomachs of the rats, indicating a very low oral toxicity.

http://www.evanscooling.com/how-it-w...ked-questions/
Judging from what I have read all you may need to "convert" the SVX is a smaller pulley for the water pump. Then again, I'm still not an expert.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 02-29-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:48 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Interesting responses, and thank you! Here is the link to the Bimmer forum I mentioned, for some additional insight into the experience from some car owners. Note, this thread begins in 2010.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...=zero+pressure

To abbreviate 9 long pages, take a look at posts:
30 (OP)
87 (new user)
118 (another convert)
165 and 166 as well as several newer updates from OP. Of note is that these are mainly 540 owners and they have nearly 3 gallons of coolant capacity. OP is a firm believer after more than 2 years use, and I see no mention of parts conversions done, such as higher flow water pumps, etc as mentioned above. I think this might be a worthwhile product to look further into via written exchange with the manufacturer as to possible SVX application. Still awaiting any further comment by actual users.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!

Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 AM

Aftermarket Gadget and Gizmo Rule of Thumb: If it worked as advertised, automakers would be all over it.

dcb
Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
Judging from what I have read all you may need to "convert" the SVX is a smaller pulley for the water pump. Then again, I'm still not an expert.
that would also involve using a different belt which would open up a whole ball of wax. best option would probably be to take the impeller off the existing pump and use an external electric water pump.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Aftermarket Gadget and Gizmo Rule of Thumb: If it worked as advertised, automakers would be all over it.

dcb
Not necessarily...
I can see several reasons why in this case this wouldn't be true. Their extra cost would be a negative for one. Anything that costs them $100 more and they make 1,000,000 cars... Also I think that the general public might not be ready for this yet... probably an understatement... if the reception from the members here is any indication and it probably is a pretty good indication. "As the world turns", some will come around!

Any change, after obama selling America on "change", has really made everyone in America gun shy, and the thought of adding additional "change" is extremely frightening.

The most difficult problem I can see would be to get ALL of the existing coolant out of the system. SVXFILES, oab_au, and possible another guy will know the best way to do this.

The coolant fans or the thermostat will not be a consideration. The point of less time for the fan to operate is simply a way to gain a little better gas mileage. As far as the thermostat in the water pump is concerned, the SVX engine is designed to run at a certain temperature and any change would probably not be beneficial. RPM of water pump is also a non-issue.

Since there are apparently no downsides to this except a little work to get the existing coolant removed, and possible the original cost of the new coolant, I am seriously considering doing this to one of our SVX's. If it works as expected, all three will get the same. If it doesn't, I will simply change back. Since no modifications are required, that wouldn't be any big deal either.

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 03-01-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Please share anything you decide Keith. I'm considering emailing their Rep to inquire about trying it in mine.

Glenn

Old 03-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I may give it a shot after rebuilding my engine this summer. Can't hurt.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
I may give it a shot after rebuilding my engine this summer. Can't hurt.
True... we can switch back easy!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
Please share anything you decide Keith. I'm considering emailing their Rep to inquire about trying it in mine.

Glenn
Will do! I Need a little warmer weather to get started on it but I am "doing it"

also, there is quite a price spread, from different sources, on the same products, so watch for that!

Factor shipping in as always, for a total. In Washington state we watch for state sales tax of 10% as well. With Amazon you can get stuck with the sales tax and the same item at eBay might not be required by law to charge you the tax... Interesting?

I got some pretty good information from this link. You can just cull out the part that doesn't apply and save it!

http://www.hrpworld.com/client_image...ader/683_4.pdf

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 03-01-2012 at 10:01 PM.