Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts Wanted > SVX Parts Wanted

Old 03-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Limecat is not amused.

Registered SVX
Need water pump, radiator

first off, is this ebayer ok http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...item4aa8b522f5

second, need a water pump

this a good deal? I also need belt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-97...item3cb547d587

Last edited by 3.3H6; 03-31-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Need water pump, radiator

I saw that radiator listing earlier tonight. It's an excellent price if it's an OEM rad. I'd send him an email to confirm. There are good Chinese copies available for around $100-130.00, I bought 2 of them and they have worked well for a couple of years.
Most people recommend a genuine Subaru water pump but the Ebay belt and pulley kits seem to be fine.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Limecat is not amused.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
I saw that radiator listing earlier tonight. It's an excellent price if it's an OEM rad. I'd send him an email to confirm. There are good Chinese copies available for around $100-130.00, I bought 2 of them and they have worked well for a couple of years.
Most people recommend a genuine Subaru water pump but the Ebay belt and pulley kits seem to be fine.
yeah, I need to do what I can to keep the costs down, I dont have to pay for labor since the school's doing the swap, but I'm starting to run low on money
Old 04-01-2011, 04:00 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.3H6 View Post
yeah, I need to do what I can to keep the costs down, I dont have to pay for labor since the school's doing the swap, but I'm starting to run low on money
My mentality was the same as yours... until my eBay timing belt/water pump broke within less than 30k miles of service change. I got lucky with the chore of replacing the timing belt/water pump/labor charges twice because I went cheap the first time. Only after do issues arise do you wish you would have went pure OEM, especially the water pump.

Some people will swear that it's the way to go (cheaper non oem) and have had no problems with it all... others will be quick to point out the ebay water pump sucks (it does, trust me)...

To answer your original question:

Is it a good deal? No.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:18 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post
My mentality was the same as yours... until my eBay timing belt/water pump broke within less than 30k miles of service change. I got lucky with the chore of replacing the timing belt/water pump/labor charges twice because I went cheap the first time. Only after do issues arise do you wish you would have went pure OEM, especially the water pump.

Some people will swear that it's the way to go (cheaper non oem) and have had no problems with it all... others will be quick to point out the ebay water pump sucks (it does, trust me)...

To answer your original question:

Is it a good deal? No.
Clint, was it the waterpump or an idler which failed?

My advice is to go OEM with the waterpump and gasket. I had good luck with ebay timing kits on at least 5 different SVXs.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I got one of the Chinese radiators and it crapped out on me after about a year. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Clint, was it the waterpump or an idler which failed?

My advice is to go OEM with the waterpump and gasket. I had good luck with ebay timing kits on at least 5 different SVXs.
Ultimately I think it was a combination of things causing the timing belt to break... not the idler's though as the new belt is just fine with the existing idlers. The water pump seemed terribly unbalanced (due to the casting) cheap shoddy job, which I can only imagine created some sort of pull/tug like jerking motion at high speeds... I had 2 pulley's seize on me (both belts broke) and the power steering pump fail (creating more stress I feel on the overall engine) but it finally crapped out a few months after having everything completely fixed.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Limecat is not amused.

Registered SVX

OK, updated parts list as of today
(if stuff is listed twice with different name, I'm going by two lists)

Timing Belt Tensioner (185.13 NAPA)

Idler pulley (72.15 PartsPlus)

Timing Belt (108.23 PartsPlus 80.81 NAPA)

Water Pump (new) (103.31 Napa 232.11 PartsPlus)

Water Pump (remfd) + core (69.27 Napa)

CV boots Left inner (24.62 NAPA)

Power Steering Return Hose (18.14 NAPA 13.38 Parts Plus)

So should I go for the radiator I linked earlier or not? I just need something to replace the old one with, which is ruined.

BTW one of the instructors working on the car wanted to know if the front CV shafts from a legacy will fit an SVX.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:28 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I think the Ebay radiators are worth a try. You might get a good one, and the only other options are OEM, used, and PWR.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Registered SVX

SVX axles only. Get the new "fwd" axles from autozone or Advance, can't remember which one, but they're $70 brand new. And no, no other axles will work.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I think the Ebay radiators are worth a try. You might get a good one, and the only other options are OEM, used, and PWR.
Not true...
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Limecat is not amused.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Not true...
...at this point I don't care if my radiator is made by subaru or a bunch of chinese children, I just need a radiator for around 100 bucks so I can get this damn thing running before the end of the semester.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 PM

Registered SVX

I have a Chinese made one. Bought it about 2 years ago. Still works fine...

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 04-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Limecat is not amused.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I have a Chinese made one. Bought it about 2 years ago. Still works fine...
right, then I'll get one.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:21 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Not true...
Which part?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: