IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-28-2010, 11:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff
Registered SVX
Re: SVX Rear Strut - Dated 9/12/08 - 2008 looks like an SVX Part Stock-Up Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
I just ordered a bunch of trim pieces and they are all new (with dates from 2006-2008). Subaruparts.com showed them as out or discontinued but the salesman threw an order out to Japan and they showed up 5 weeks later! They are wrapped in new packaging and do not appear to be old or repackaged.
Amen. My local dealership has no problems getting everything from new door cards to seat pieces - there's yet to be anything I've looked for that I can't find at the East warehouse, or that he can't order from Japan.

A friend of mine's got an old Camaro and is downright envious of how well Subaru stocks parts for an old car, much less one that had such a limited run.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

I am still trying to decide on Koni inserts or OE struts. Either way I have got to get them ordered ASAP. Gonna get strut mounts and some lowering springs as well. Jan is going to be a busy month for my SVX.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I've found it much easier to get parts for my SVX than my S6.
2001 Audi S8
Old 12-30-2010, 11:39 AM

Registered SVX

Hopefully someone will see that we have like 20 ball joints left in the country and stamp out some of them.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
All I can imagine is that Subaru inventories were getting low, an audit spit out a bunch of part numbers that needed replenishing and a slew of SVX parts were in the batch, that's all it takes.

Remember 2008 is a little over 10 years from the last production date, so parts are still made and still around.
Your logic defies itself, though - if they are past ten years, they are no longer obligated to parts production, and thus an audit for SVX exclusive parts should show straight zeroes.

Quote:
They are wrapped in new packaging and do not appear to be... repackaged.
A once-peeled orange can appear repackaged, but a strut?

P/DATE is terribly vague. It could stand for PICK date, or even PACK date - events that could happen years after manufacture!

Hey, I hope you're right from a fellow SVX owner's point of view. I hope you're wrong from an intelligent manufacturer point of view - making SVX parts for the shelf would be a mind-bendingly poor decision.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:12 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Your logic defies itself, though - if they are past ten years, they are no longer obligated to parts production, and thus an audit for SVX exclusive parts should show straight zeroes.

A once-peeled orange can appear repackaged, but a strut?

P/DATE is terribly vague. It could stand for PICK date, or even PACK date - events that could happen years after manufacture!

Hey, I hope you're right from a fellow SVX owner's point of view. I hope you're wrong from an intelligent manufacturer point of view - making SVX parts for the shelf would be a mind-bendingly poor decision.
You are speculating just as I am. But lets just look at what we have in our hands... parts that were made in 2008, just a tad over the "10 year mark." (which is a US federal requirement) I've heard that in Japan it is 15 years.
And why in the world would "P Date" mean anything other than "production date?" Anything else would be meaningless to inventory keeping practices, especially to parts that need to be rotated through.

Not sure why there is such a dim negative view of this, I've ordered some pretty obscure trim parts and they were available. They are rubber and show no signs of sitting around for 20 years.

Parts will be available for the SVX for a while.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

10 characters

Last edited by 1986nate; 12-31-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Not sure why there is such a dim negative view of this...
It's only a dim, negative view if you're taking this personally.

What's your impression? That I want this to be untrue? That I'm trying to get you agitated? That I find this impossible? That's a little short of reality.

Do realize that you are saying that "[These parts] were made in 2008" as fact and throwing in admissions of speculation to tread water?

Quote:
You are speculating just as I am. But lets just look at what we have in our hands... parts that were made in 2008...
I sure wouldn't take that wager, and I'd sure hate to see false information spread. Shipping and warehousing from Japanese warehouses, stateside warehouses, dealerships and jobbers are guaranteed - production is not.

I'm only pokin' at the bottom of your Jenga tower because it looks like it might oughta be condemned, see?

Believe and speculate as you will, but don't state a belief or speculation as a fact.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:43 AM

How much for the "2008" rear struts and front too??
Old 12-31-2010, 11:35 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
It's only a dim, negative view if you're taking this personally.

What's your impression? That I want this to be untrue? That I'm trying to get you agitated? That I find this impossible? That's a little short of reality.

Do realize that you are saying that "[These parts] were made in 2008" as fact and throwing in admissions of speculation to tread water?

I sure wouldn't take that wager, and I'd sure hate to see false information spread. Shipping and warehousing from Japanese warehouses, stateside warehouses, dealerships and jobbers are guaranteed - production is not.

Believe and speculate as you will, but don't state a belief or speculation as a fact.
I'm not taking it personally. The OP posted a strut with a date on it. And everyone started going down the road that "it can't be!" "Impossible!" Just kind negative and a little weird. All I'm saying is that there is a date on a sealed part from Subaru, period. I would think that it is a date of production, or a date that Subaru in Japan received these parts from their suppliers. In which case the part was made "around" that time.

Now, I started to look for this 10 year rule for parts supply and I can't seem to find it anywhere. I've only heard of this "law." I never bothered to try to track in down and for the life of me I can't find it. DOT, Fed. Reg. Code, Etc. can't find anything. Any help here is welcomed... maybe it is a myth.

Without taking into consideration this 10 year rule... what's to stop or even require Subaru to supply parts to their obsolete vehicles? They do it for whatever reason they do it. They do it for profit and customer service. We have NO idea what the repair market is for these cars in the US outside of our little forum and no idea even what the market is in Japan, and we have no idea what the internal decisions regarding customer service are. Subaru will do what it will do, and we can only guess.

All I can say is that I have a pile of sealed parts for my SVX and my STi with labels showing 2005 - 2008 dates... one again I would *think* that the parts were made around then... without going too much out on a limb!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

I simple phone call to a dealership would solve this whole issue
Old 12-31-2010, 11:52 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
I simple phone call to a dealership would solve this whole issue
A good suggestion but only if the dealership knows or has the interest in finding out the answer. I think a call to Subaruparts.com is worth a try. I'll reach out to them.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:59 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Brand loyalty is an extremely important factor in marketing and nowhere more so than the auto industry. If making a few new parts for a few thousand owners of an obscure Subaru model (SVX) means they buy another Subaru, then they've accomplished their goal. If these owners then tell all their friends and family how great Subaru is...
Old 12-31-2010, 06:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Have the dealership ask their district rep for the information. They'll know, or will know who to call. The dealership likely won't know any more than we do.
2001 Audi S8
Old 12-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

One thing that hasn't been brought up is the possibility that it isn't new but just repacked stuff. I've bought plenty of Honda motorcycle stuff that was NOS from the 70s but Honda had repacked it for my guess, inventory purposes or damage to the original packing. I still wouldn't buy an oem svx rear strut if it was the last one in the world. I'd rather go hard tailed.