Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-07-2001, 03:48 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Low maintance?

Look at the ad!
http://www.cars.com/carsapp/chitrib/...=used&quote=on

Features ABS BRAKES, AIR CONDITIONING, AM/FM/CASS/CD STEREO, CLOCK RADIO, CRUISE CONTROL, DRIVER AIRBAG, PASSENGER AIRBAG POWER LOCKS, POWER MIRRORS, POWER STEERING, POWER WINDOWS, LEATHER SEATS, SUNROOF, LOW MAINTNANCE GREAT GAS MILEGE!!!!!!!! LOOKS & DRIVES GREAT ASK ABOUT OUR DISCOUNTED 2 YEAR 24000 MILES SERVICE EXTENDED CARE WARRANTY COVERING DRIVE TRAIN & ALL SYSTEMS WITH PURCHASE AT LISTED PRICES. FOR ALL INFO CALL REMO 215 885 7880 TO HELP US SERVE YOU BEST CALL FOR AN APPOINTMENT TO SEE & TEST DRIVE OUR GREAT SELECTION.... CLOSED ON MONDAYS DURING SUMMER. SAT 9AM-3PM MANY THANKS!!!!! & HAVE A NORMAL DAY

-----------------

DId this guy said it right?
LOW MAINTNANCE GREAT GAS MILEGE!!!!!!!! ???

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 06-07-2001, 08:01 AM
lightning_8669

Well, the gas mileage is pretty good for what the car is. But anyone looking to buy the thing should check the details of the 2/24 warranty package. I've yet to go a month without something requiring repair on my '92.

And it isn't "Burgandy"! It's either Claret or Bordeaux. Let's see, a French wine color on and Italian designed body on a Japanese engineered/built platform.
Old 06-07-2001, 08:22 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669
I've yet to go a month without something requiring repair on my '92.

Youse guys are funny folks! You and Aredub are close to my age, don'tcha remember the days when you rarely got 100k miles out of a car? And if I'm remembering correctly you're buyin' used cars with *over* 100k and lamenting the fact that they require some repairing. And that's not even knowing how the cars were taken care of by the previous owners...who knows, they might have been leadfooted people that never bought into the preventive maintenance deal. I once asked my ex-wife to pop the hood on her cutlass...she didn't even know how to open the hood, let alone check anything.

Well, maybe I'm all alone here, but I think it's damn amazing that these cars with over 100k on the clock require as little work as they do! (I'm equally amazed at some of the experiences you guys have had with dealerships though.) There's a lady on the Yahoo site that took her car (a '96) to the dealership and they couldn't figure out the problem with select monitor and OBDII, If I were the service manager there, them techs would be lube guys.
Old 06-07-2001, 08:26 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Eddy, please don't take this the wrong way, but, I agree. Even with all my "devils" (conjured up by previous owners, by the way), I can't complain at over 155K.

As for the car in question . . . Leather . . . sunroof . . . CD Player? Doesn't that go beyond the "LS" designation, as stated.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-07-2001, 09:13 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Eddy died

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Eddy, please don't take this the wrong way, but, I agree.
Eddycat died this morning after having read the above quote. According to eyewitnesses he stood up, clutched his chest with his free hand, (velvet and water in the other, and a Doral in his mouth), shouted "I can't f*&*ing believe it!" and fell over dead. His widow, the lovely Wicki, is asking for all his friends to send donations to the drunken cancer ridden ex-mechanics hospice house. Unfortunately his *friend* eddy don't have any money, however there will be an estate sale of all the things that eddycat held dear...anyone want to bid on a slightly used green bathrobe?

The $4.15 that eddycat has accumulated over his lifetime should provide enough for a proper funeral...a gunnysack and a shovel.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:34 AM
lightning_8669

<<(I'm equally amazed at some of the experiences you guys have had with dealerships though.) >>

Next Monday I'm scheduled to take the car back in for the 4th since January for rear wheel bearings that continue to fail. Later next week I'll be in for about the 8th or 9th time for the transmission which has been replaced twice since I bought the car last summer that is *still* having problems. So far the only repair that a dealership has performed that has stayed repaired is the timing belt replaced in January of this year after the previous belt shred 40,000 miles prematurely.

These are not the car's fault to be sure, but these issues still don't do anything to make me the "happiest SVX owner" in this club.

Sorry for my attitude but I am a bit tired of taking time out of my busy day to have new parts put in to replace parts that were installed only 4-5 weeks ealier.

Thanks for letting me vent. But hey, the sun is shining outside here for the first time in 88 days so I'll cheer up.

P.S. Sorry to hear about eddy. I also hear it is pretty cold in Hell these days.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:52 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

I'd be interested to know if the year of the car matters. My '95 gets oil changed every 4-5k (or so) along with suggested maintenance (when I manage to get to it). I've had three warrantee fixes (a belt idler fell off, the passenger side visor thing, and the drivers door switches). I traded a '93 Galant for it because I couldn't keep the Mitsu out of the garage. The car just doesn't break. (No, I'm not knocking on wood.)

Also, my mechanic (of the Authorized Subaru variety) is tops. (Sorry, Aredubjay.)

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 06-07-2001, 09:57 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<RANT>DAMN!!! This is the 2nd time I had to write this. I posted and it said I had too many smileys and I had to edit it, but there was no edit button and the back button erased everything I typed!!!</RANT>

<<Thanks for letting me vent. But hey, the sun is shining outside here for the first time in 88 days so I'll cheer up.>>
I can't believe it! Its a miracle!

<<Next Monday I'm scheduled to take the car back in for the 4th since January for rear wheel bearings that continue to fail. Later next week I'll be in for about the 8th or 9th time for the transmission which has been replaced twice since I bought the car last summer that is *still* having problems. So far the only repair that a dealership has performed that has stayed repaired is the timing belt replaced in January of this year after the previous belt shred 40,000 miles prematurely.>>
I know how you feel. While I was going through my eleven consecutive tranny rebuilds, I often thought of dumping her. Every month I'd write out the payment for a car I hadn't seen all month. Every rebuild took six weeks to get the parts and another two weeks to actually rebuild it (in 1995-96 I believe before the Subaru remanufactured exchange). Then I'd drive it for a day or two, then have it rev to a smokey death along the road and I would call for a flatbed. Then another 2 months without her.

It took many years to regain confidence in her, but eventually everything was fixed and the dealership went out of business (coincidence?) and now I wouldn't sell her for anything.

Cheer up and enjoy the sunny day. Good times are ahead, I promise.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-07-2001, 10:08 AM
lightning_8669

Like I said, not really the car's fault. It is just embarrassing when all the people in my family start giving me crap about its love affair with the shop. They remember my last Subaru, the one that ran 250,000 miles and never went in for service or saw a flatbed.

I am just very dissapointed by not being able to get competent repairs done by the manufacturer's trained technicians. DON'T anyone blow up on me now, I'm sure not *all* of them are inept.
Old 06-07-2001, 12:24 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669

I am just very dissapointed by not being able to get competent repairs done by the manufacturer's trained technicians. DON'T anyone blow up on me now, I'm sure not *all* of them are inept.
All the ept mechanics get burned out, retire, or quit just because of not getting adequate pay. I don't dispute what you guys say in the least, you're dealing with upstart techs that have never worked on the cars before. They are most likely getting paid crappy wages for hard work and damn little appreciation for what they do, and they don't have to deal with the customer, the writer does, so why should they care? It's a cryin' shame I tells ya, but you folks are like the beta testers microsoft uses...the people that buy the products they put out there.

Worked with a tech once that took an hour to find a blown fuse. He insisted he get paid the hour...I would have been so embarrassed I would have written off the repair, fuse and all. (He was *hallmark*, had a story for every occasion, a legend in his own mind, back stabbed every other tech in the shop constantly...I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure he F'd up an engine job that I left on my bench one night.)
Old 06-07-2001, 12:28 PM
lightning_8669

a legend in his own mind

I know the type. You can find them in many professions at almost any level. However, they usually find themselves in a management postition some day seriously screwing things up. Hey, wait a minute, *I* used to be in management!

Never mind.
Old 06-07-2001, 04:13 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Oh my god, I killed Kenny . . . I mean, eddy.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-07-2001, 08:11 PM
picklesbitch

lightning

You may have already done so, but it would be a good idea to check the trouble codes yourself. While the dealer did a good job replacing my trans, a month or so later, I noticed shifting problems. I took it back, they agreed that the shift seemed harsh, but was "within specs". A short time later, I learned the secret to the flashing power light, and checked myself. I found that the resistor by the battery(solenoid A I think) code was present. The service rep, and maybe the mechanics who worked on my car were not aware of the trouble codes, or didn't bother to check. A little info on your part could help you deal with them. If you've already done this, then never mind, and Good luck!
Mike
Old 06-08-2001, 05:57 AM
lightning_8669

Pickles

Thanks for the info. However, my troubles are of a different sort. I had the trans replaced under warranty last November or so. When they did the install they opted to not replace the clogged filter. So, about 60 days later it began having problems. After about a dozen phone calls we arranged to have the trans *and* filter re-replaced. Well, about 3-4 weeks after that install the rear seal and pan gasket on the *new* trans are both leaking, leaving puddles in my driveway.

The other problem I have been having is back in January of this year I had both rear bearings replaced. After about 6 weeks the right one failed (also during the initial work they stripped 4 of the 5 lugs on my right rear wheel) and had to be replaced. About 5 weeks later the left one failed. Now *both* have gone bad.

My frustration isn't in how much money it is costing me but that I can't seem to get it to *stay* fixed. I should say it isn't costing me money out of pocket, but all the logistical screwing around to keep taking the car to the shop is keeping me from seeing clients. And what I charge clients is way more than a dealer's shop rate. So yeah, it is costing me money.

Sorry for the long post but thanks again for the code info, it may come in handy some day.
Old 06-08-2001, 08:26 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile

At last check, SuperRu was hovering just below 140k. Other than 3 wheel bearings and a tie rod, I've had no problems since I got her at about 72k.( I did replace the headlights with ones from Ron Costa, and a rear wiper motor only to discover the problem wasn't in the motor.) Yes Eddy, we old timers DO remember when over 100k was quite a deal, however.....my late Dad had a '61 Caddy that he put over 250k on before he sold it, and it never had to have any major repairs during his ownership. That was back when a Caddy was a CADDY!

(what am I doing? I'm taking like Eddy's still with us! I guess it just takes awhile to sink in.....now you've gone went and done it Aredub! No more cracks about Suby mechanics, or people telling him they know better....and speaking personally, I'm really gonna miss that avatar...
Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"