SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-19-2010, 08:01 PM

Re: One problem with buying an older used car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Where are these donuts you speak of?
My guess would be the "gasket" that seals the exhaust system where 2 pieces of the exhaust system are connected

Keith
Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Stop up my way, and I'll check your power, suspension, brakes and exhaust top to bottom. You're going to have to wait until October 3, though.

That's our next local autocross.
OK, I'm guessing the subliminal part is the date but I'm not getting it. What's the significance of October 3rd?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:20 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
you say you haven't floored it really so just curious have you had your power mode light up on your dash yet? If not then that should surely be the pick up that you may be looking for from the car since it isn't an always on condition unless you do the mod.
As for the other issues definitely suspension for the noises and possibly even struts and strut mounts. For my exhaust the donut gasket was dead back where the center pipe connects to the muffler even the clamp for it was broken, it wasn't loud or horrible sounding like when my legacy had a leak, but it wasn't quiet and smooth either.
No, I haven't seen the power light come on yet. Maybe when the trauma from the temp gauge experience wears off I will push it a little. But, really, I bought this car more because it is a Subaru than because it is a sports car. I just liked the Subarus from this era.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
OK, I'm guessing the subliminal part is the date but I'm not getting it. What's the significance of October 3rd?
The subliminal part is the white text hidden in my post. You can see it when you quote me.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
My teal has always made this odd squonky noise when traversing certain pavement irregularities at low speed. But bumps, clunks, and thunks certainly aren't the norm.

I envy your low-mileage sunbelt car. You should be in good shape, provided it hasn't been abused.

dcb
The more I drive it the more I think it is closer to a squonky noise like you call it. I don't hear it on the highway. I only hear it on bumpy back roads. I hear similar stuff on our Tribeca. The noise was really loud when that car had issues with its sway bar bushings. It went from squonky to almost like a popping thunk.

Actually, the car is pretty comfy. I need to clean and condition the leather. I want it to stay looking and feeling good.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
If you have a 96, pick yourself up a cheap OBD 2 code reader by Actron (you can get one on Amazon)

I'd suggest jacking the 4 corners of the car individually, and checking for play.
Check your tie rods/ends, ball joints, and check for hydraulic fluid on the strut body. From what it sounds like, you at the very least could probably use a set of sway bar bushings, but I'd keep an eye out for other worn suspension components.

Check now for bearing issues to avoid fiery incidents! (Waiting for Freeman or SVXfiles to comment on that)
Any idea if an EOBDII or Enhanced OBDII scanner will read transmission temperature on this car? Might be a nice way to monitor or test tranny temps.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
The subliminal part is the white text hidden in my post. You can see it when you quote me.
... or simply left click the mouse and slide the curser across any blank spaces in the original message and if there is a message that was introduced in white font it will then show up!

Keith
Old 08-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
... or simply left click the mouse and slide the curser across any blank spaces in the original message and if there is a message that was introduced in white font it will then show up!

Keith
BOOYAHHH!

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:35 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Has anyone ever used the code reader system from www.obd-2.com? It says it can read the transmission temperature.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
If you have a 96, pick yourself up a cheap OBD 2 code reader by Actron (you can get one on Amazon)

I'd suggest jacking the 4 corners of the car individually, and checking for play.
Check your tie rods/ends, ball joints, and check for hydraulic fluid on the strut body. From what it sounds like, you at the very least could probably use a set of sway bar bushings, but I'd keep an eye out for other worn suspension components.

Check now for bearing issues to avoid fiery incidents! (Waiting for Freeman or SVXfiles to comment on that)
I ended up getting a slightly higher end code reader from Equus:

http://www.equus.com/Product/Detail/...6-9633D987F5C2

The customer service folks said that it will read the tranny temperature. When I get it I will let everyone know if it does.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:40 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Has anyone ever used the code reader system from www.obd-2.com? It says it can read the transmission temperature.
I have the software and cable from www.obd-2.com, it can read transmission temps, as long as the temp is sent to the ecu.

Quote:
I ended up getting a slightly higher end code reader from Equus:

http://www.equus.com/Product/Detail/...6-9633D987F5C2

The customer service folks said that it will read the tranny temperature. When I get it I will let everyone know if it does.
Again it will depend on if the temp is monitored.
I use mine for my other cars, my 92 being obd-1 it does not work. I have a 96 civic, a 2000 grand am gt, and I use it on my dads 97 gmc pickup. my 96 has a manual so no trans temp there my GA it does tell the temp and also on the gmc.