How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-24-2010, 08:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to newkid17 Send a message via Yahoo to newkid17
Engine rebuild

Well, I'm gonna get to tearing down my motor before to long, and I was wondering what kind of performance engine parts I can actually get for it? And where to get them?(cams, forged pistons and rods, crank, ect.) is it possible to shave the heads and bore it out? Like 20 overish. Can I get pistons if I bore it out?

Any advice for what to do? And how to do it? This will be my first engine rebuild!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:11 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Engine rebuild

You can find replacements for almost anything in the block. ECUtune.com has pistons, cams, and ECU's for sale, as well as other things. I highly recommend you look into it. Building these engines is not cheap, trust me, I would know. I am about 5k into my build and have yet to pay the machine shop (I get my stuff back from them and will pay them in a week ).

Are you trying to stay naturally aspirated or are you going forced induction?

EDIT : I believe you can get oversized pistons from Subaru. They are designated with an A, B, or C for standard bore, 20 over and 40 over. This information is located in the Factory Manual that you can find here on the forums. Or just Subaru SVX Factory Manual.

Shaving the heads will make your engine an interference setup. DO NOT DO THIS. If your timing belt snaps, you will likely lose multiple internal engine parts (valves, rods, pistons). Your valves will come in contact with the piston, beating the hell out of it, and it will barely be recognizable. It is important that you keep it "zero-interference". You can have the heads resurfaced, but make sure the bare minimum is removed when you have this done.

What kind of bankroll do you have for this build? If you don't have, or don't want to spend at least 4-5k, you will most likely not see the power increase you are looking for.

You could always do a reseal, get an upgraded ECU (ECUtune.com) and just rock the stock. Just my .02 cents though.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted

Last edited by Cam; 06-24-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

When I do my rebuild, I'm going all out and you should too.. put at least 8k into her. Get a super charger too.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 06-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Registered SVX

It all depends on what you like. 8k is a little overkill if you are not going forced induction, but could easily be spent. I forgot to mention Eagle. They make rods for an EJ22. Shares the same stroke, rod bearing size, and wristpin size. They work great, but the downside is you must buy 8, 2 sets of 4. They are sold in sets for a 4 cylinder.

For 8k why don't you buy toms car

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Cam, do you have a parts list with prices by any chance? See, I've got this extra engine sitting in the garage I'm considering building for FI over the next year or so. It would be a massive help if I had somewhere to start.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-24-2010, 10:36 PM

Registered SVX

What part numbers do you want/need? I have A LOT of stuff in my garage still in the packaging from subaru. I will help you out any way I can.

EDIT : PM me so this does not become a hijacked thread

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted

Last edited by Cam; 06-24-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:41 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
What part numbers do you want/need? I have A LOT of stuff in my garage still in the packaging from subaru. I will help you out any way I can.

EDIT : PM me so this does not become a hijacked thread
True, ok. Thanks
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

Icing, I'd consider selling my engine especially since you are close enough to drive it and dyno it and know what you are getting. I'd want 6k for the long block or 8k for the whole engine. It's 8.5 compression and ballanced out to 12k rpm with 244 intake cams 264 exhaust cams, ported heads, inconel ehaust valves, thermal barier coated combustion chambers valves and piston tops, ct1 coated high silicon aluminum bearings, blueprinted perfect clearances, eagle rods, arp 2000 head studs, etc etc etc. New everything including harnesses, coils, most sensors etc. It's as awesome as you can get for forced induction. I've got about 8k miles on it now and haven't installed the forced induction yet so maybe it should go to someone who is stoked and ready to feed it with some turbos.

details and pics here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40671