Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2002, 02:16 AM
double0bondo

doing 5spd, more questions???

ok, ive tried searching, but what seems to be the "best" for ease of install, for the tranny mount and crossmember, i have the mount from the 94 legacy, but have the 92 svx crossmember, seems like quite a bit of work, are there better proven options, thanks for any help guys
Old 08-17-2002, 08:40 PM

my recommendation would be too not convert your car. I finally finished my 5sp project and don't enjoy the car anywhere near as much as I did when it was an automatic. But what I did for my trans crossmember was--bend a piece of flat stock metal 3.5" by 3/8" and then took two pieces of right angle steel which I ran from the origina crossmember bolt holes to where the new crossmember was located. Very similar to Huch 369s only I used a piece of steel instead of a subaru crossmember.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:21 AM
awdrocket92

what do you regret. let us in on it. What not to enjoy. do you have any problems now that its manual?
Old 08-18-2002, 11:42 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
yeah, let us know!

I thought that all the hard work was all worth it in the end?

To quote Huck:
Quote:
All the hard work seems worth it on that first drive.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:56 AM
Boone

Hmm... I know that if the SVX WAS offered with a 5 speed, I would have still chosen the auto and the LSi package. But then MY boy racer days are long over.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by awdrocket92
what do you regret. let us in on it. What not to enjoy. do you have any problems now that its manual?
the clutch pedal is a little harder to push than I'd like since it has the ACT clutch, The trans is (to me) way too low geared--I rarely use first and start out in second commuting often at speeds >70mph and turning around 3400 rpm. Lastly, I used an STI trans mount which was a big mistake, there is too much vibration in the passenger area (hopefully will be taken away when I switch back to the factory mount). All in all, I think I just no longer view the SVX as the exotic import I once did. After driving the 99 4runner limited for a while, the SVX just doesn't seem to be much of an eye catcher.
Chris