Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 01-04-2010, 05:17 PM

SVX LED Taillights

Hi,

I've been asked by a fellow member on this site to take a look at some SVX taillights and see if I could make some full LED taillights using the original taillight housings and lenses.

Just for some background info, my name is Chris, and I make full, custom fitting LED taillight kits for the Acura NSX. The Acura NSX has taillights very similar in shape to the Subaru SVX. Here are some pics on my work:

I can make LED modules for the parking lights, the brake lights, the turn signals, and the reverse lights. All LED modules I make use the best LED available and are fully current and voltage regulated for long life on the vehicle.

I have already gone ahead and taken apart 4 of the 5 parts of the SVX taillight. Here is what I can work with:

This thread is to find out how many people would be interested in a DIY LED taillight kit. This kit would involve some work on your part, to take apart the taillights, using my instructions, and mounting and securing custom LED modules I can make for the Subaru SVX. It might seem intimidating to take apart your own taillights, but as many of you know, the SVX taillights are already starting to separate, and I bet many of you have noticed condensation build in your taillights. With that being said, from my experiences from taking apart many different taillights, the Subaru SVX taillights are some of the easiest to take apart.

Let me know if you guys would be interested in something like this.

A current list of those who are interested:

1. MacGyver
2. Wikedjuggalo
3. **Ewie**
4. STeeL25T
5. SVXMAN2001
6. Sov13t
7. Johnybeas
8. ensteele

Thank You

Last edited by ensteele; 01-14-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: SVX LED Taillights

I might be interested but I'd have to see a finished product. I don't want it to look to ricey or anything. Great Idea love to see what you come up with.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 PM

Completely undstandable. My plan on any customer retrofit it too look as if it came as a factory option.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Aussie in enemy territory

Registered SVX

Definately interested... would also LOVE to know how you took the tail light apart without breaking it.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by apkarian100 View Post
Completely undstandable. My plan on any customer retrofit it too look as if it came as a factory option.
just curious but what kind of prices do you charge the acura kit? just to have some kind of idea the price range we'd be looking at?

Also providing a link to previous work might help encourage people to become interested. No offense but you new here and they have had issues with people scamming. Not claiming you are but it could only help to provide links.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 01-04-2010, 05:48 PM

The Acura NSX kit complete uses around 745 LEDs, and I charge $700 shipped to the NSX customers. The price is reflective entirely on supply costs and the amount of work I have to do to make them. I do not drastically mark up the NSX community, it is all reflective on those principles.

Based on taking apart the SVX taillights, and guesstimating the amount of LEDs I have used on the NSX vs. the amount I will use on the SVX, I assume a price range for a full LED taillight conversion kit to be around $500. This is just a rough estimate for now.

Here is a link to my DIY LED kit for the Acura NSX:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125941

Also, I want to add that I live within an hour of Seraphinwolf, so I can test out the final product on his SVX.

Last edited by apkarian100; 01-04-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I've been waiting for this thread for months now. I'm in for sure

Edit for a couple questions: How long do you think before you'll have a finished SVX set to show off? And also, are you planning to keep the clear pixelated plastic part inside the lights or remove them? We had a member take them out of the stock tail lights and I for one thought they looked a lot better.

Last edited by STeeL25T; 01-04-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:01 PM

I can make the prototype fairly quickly, the only problem I might run into is the early stages of production might be slow. I have some NSX LED taillight customers left, but when I don't have anymore, I don't want to end making LED taillight kits. The early stages might make me go back and forth making a NSX kit, then making an SVX, etc.

I do agree that taking the inner clear reflector pieces out will make the taillights look better. I can provide progress pics and show you all what it will look like before I seal everything up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
I've been waiting for this thread for months now. I'm in for sure

Edit for a couple questions: How long do you think before you'll have a finished SVX set to show off? And also, are you planning to keep the clear pixelated plastic part inside the lights or remove them? We had a member take them out of the stock tail lights and I for one thought they looked a lot better.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Looking forward to the progress on these - and being my lights are the prototype I guess I'm locked in for sure!

I've been interested in doing LED tails for years and years, but didn't know how to make it look right like it belongs on the car. Finally years later came across your work on the NSX forums and knew this was the right solution. So glad Seraphinwolf got you to be interested in doing some for the SVX!

Just got back from reading the whole new self-install NSX LED kit thread you linked to. Lots of happy customers among the NSX community. In general, most NSX owners are pretty picky, and also not into "rice". So if they are happy....

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 01-05-2010, 03:40 PM

I'm very eager to get started on progress on the SVX LED taillights, and hopefully encourage more to be interested in something like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Looking forward to the progress on these - and being my lights are the prototype I guess I'm locked in for sure!

I've been interested in doing LED tails for years and years, but didn't know how to make it look right like it belongs on the car. Finally years later came across your work on the NSX forums and knew this was the right solution. So glad Seraphinwolf got you to be interested in doing some for the SVX!

Just got back from reading the whole new self-install NSX LED kit thread you linked to. Lots of happy customers among the NSX community. In general, most NSX owners are pretty picky, and also not into "rice". So if they are happy....
Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I think you'll get a good bit of interest, seems like its a slow day on the forum today.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

I am definitely interested.

Would you consider front headlamps and the waterfall grill as well?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:12 PM

What are your ideas for the headlights? Like LED front turn signals? What about the grill too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
I am definitely interested.

Would you consider front headlamps and the waterfall grill as well?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

I am interested.

For headlights what about some Audi style LED outline or something...

-Sov
Old 01-05-2010, 07:32 PM

Where are you thinking of placing the LED outline? What would look best?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post

For headlights what about some Audi style LED outline or something...

-Sov