How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-30-2002, 09:15 PM
billisa

Blue Headlights?

Has anyone tried/seen blue tinted headlights on the SVX? Do they look good or is it better to stay with white? Any particular brands that are good/bad -- I've seen both GE and Sylvania available...
Old 07-30-2002, 09:42 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
By Sylvania if you are referring to the "Cool Blue" ones, they are not really that much different from normal white ones.

I'll take a picture of mine which brand I can't seem to remember but I can find out later. They are a higher wattage, shine very white and do not have the blue coating/filter on the glass.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:25 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
You are refering to cool blue type headlight from Philips. They are good. The ones from philips use the same wattage and are a little brighter than the regular OEM headlights.

I can take a picture between the two cars if you want. I got the coolblue/crystal ion yellows on one car and stock on the other.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-31-2002, 01:01 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
I have real HIDs phillips 4100k if anyone wants them then we can work somthing out
phil
Old 07-31-2002, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
I have real HIDs phillips 4100k if anyone wants them then we can work somthing out
phil
Can you describe real? With auto balancer? With ballast? When people say HID, I get a little worry. But I am interested.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 07-31-2002, 01:54 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

I have a phillips 4100k high intensity discharge Kit that comes with bulbs and 9006 adapter harness...as in the real thing.....its the best kit on the market i guruntee. Ballest and DS2 bulbs...i have pictures of them as well
phil
Old 07-31-2002, 02:09 AM

Lights -- You tell me which one is which.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aut_0015.jpg (272.8 KB, 239 views)
Old 07-31-2002, 06:49 AM

I purchased a set of hi and low beam Xenon lights about a month ago on Ebay from sweeteffects.com for ~$25 including shipping. I have read some real negative stuff about the Xenon lights on this site but I have been more than satisfied with them so far. Maybe the newer generation are better, or maybe I have not had them long enough to burn out. Anyway, I just ordered a set of fog lights.
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
Xenons are just Xenon Gas + tinted glass instead of hallogen gas.

HIDs are a system which includes tubes/bulbs, ballasts and igniters. I hear the Phillips is good, I may get the mcChulloch HID conversion once I get my SVX.

-mike
Old 07-31-2002, 09:22 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<HIDs are a system which includes tubes/bulbs, ballasts and igniters. I hear the Phillips is good, I may get the mcChulloch HID conversion once I get my SVX.>>

Don't forget new projectors. The SVX projectors do not have a sharp enough high cut off to be safe for oncoming drivers.

I found a set of AUDI A6 HID projectors that are being installed now. when I post pictures of a projector designed for HID and a projector designed before HID, you will see why it isn't good to use a retrofit kit.

It may be bright for you, but that's only half the issue.

BTW: no HID retrofit kit is street legal. Even the Phillips kits say "For off road use only"

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-31-2002, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattski
I purchased a set of hi and low beam Xenon lights about a month ago on Ebay from sweeteffects.com for ~$25 including shipping. I have read some real negative stuff about the Xenon lights on this site but I have been more than satisfied with them so far. Maybe the newer generation are better, or maybe I have not had them long enough to burn out. Anyway, I just ordered a set of fog lights.
There is no 1st or second generation when it comes to the "fake" Xenon HID "like" lights. They are nothing more than higher wattage bulb with as high as 5% Xenon gas in the bulb with a blue filter. What is the result? You probably don't see it yet but in the rain or snow, the light does not travel as far as the stock or "real" HID. I can prove that since we compare them on the way to Reading III. They don't burn out. A local rice shop sell them and you can get a warranty on them for a year for about 15 bucks. Since the actual colour output is not real (remember the blue colour bulb acting as the blue filter) you end up wasting a lot of energy and only get as high as 30% of the actual energy as it was rated. Also, no respectable automotive light maker is not going to make a higher wattage bulbs since the power that comes to the bulb in the line heats up and can melt and start a fire by making higher wattage bulb.

So, unless you can go a true HID, I recommand the cool blue "whiter" lights from philips.

Lwin
Old 07-31-2002, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
BTW: no HID retrofit kit is street legal. Even the Phillips kits say "For off road use only"

Doug
Doh doug. You beat me to it

Lwin

ps. how are you? my phone has been dead for a couple of days and could not call ya.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:37 AM

Thanks guys for the education.
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:07 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

The Phillips kit has glare reduction from oncoming traffic, and its alot easier on the eyes then a Audi or bimmer coming at you, i garuntee that. They look incredibly good on the SVX, at night you look a hell of alot more like an exotic And the light output is INSANE. in rain and snow you can see EVERYTHING. Its so much of a crisper light, but i didnt have to tell you guys that. Ive been trying to hold on to them and get the tranny fixed at the same time, but im having fund problems....

And about the legality.....As best said by my friends father who is a trooper: "Ya they arent leagal in reality..... But since most cops have never seen a car like this before they assume it just came with HID's, what are they gonna check?"
Old 07-31-2002, 02:31 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<Ya they arent leagal in reality..... But since most cops have never seen a car like this before they assume it just came with HID's, what are they gonna check?">>

The issue is not about legality, its about saftey. I understand your feelings that they are working well for you. I just worry that someday you may cause an accident because of blinding someone coming towards you. Just because it didn't happen immediately, doesn't mean you are safe forever.

You get the right combination of going up a slight hill with gunning the engine and the fact that your lights will not auto-level...
POOF!!! A lifetime of debt since your insurance company refuses to pay anything because you illegaly modified your lights. Don't beleive me? Check your policy.

Spend a few hundred dollars with a retrofit or spend a thousand and be safe with the full conversion and have it inspected by your local DMV office to approve it.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker