Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 04-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: FRESH START: Alternator Wiring Upgrade Configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
One more and I'm out of this one for good:

If you protect the car's circuitry from the alternator with a 140 or 150A fuse, fusible link, or breaker, if your alternator has a problem, I'm prone to believe that it won't be your only problem.

If you don't have hardware demanding more amps, don't jack the protection; it doesn't make any sense.
You're probably right, Rob. I have been running the 80 inline fuse for over a year now without incident. Since it seems my electrical demands have never exceed this, I may just leave it there.

I never let my battery run down and use the Battery Tender for periods of extended storage. I never use my car to jump-start another vehicle; I use a portable battery pack for that. So there is not too much to put excessive demands on the electrical system.

Plus I am confident that this new alternator is built to a much higher level of reliability than our stock ones. It was Harvey's concern that I protect the alternator charging path from the rest of the circuitry at the 150A level.

Saves me a lot of work before Reading.... better used for other things like...

like.... uh....

Oh, yeah...

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 12-03-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:31 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I used a 60A inline fuse for my alternator mod because it was all that was easily available. It's been fine so far.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I suggested the 150 amp fuse to cover all cases.

There are conditions that the alternator can exceed the normal output.

If the battery is very low in charge, when the engine starts, the charge rate to the battery could exceed 80 amps.

If someone (not John) had to jump start another car with a flat battery, the charge rate could exceed a 80 amp fuse.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by svxcess; 12-03-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

FINISHED: Alternator Wiring Upgrade Configuration

The whole thing is now finished and I am happy with it.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to adress their concerns. Especially I want to thank Trevor and Harvey for their tireless guidance. I had lots of options such as High-amp circuit brealers, MAXI fuses, etc that I needed to research and explore.

Thanks also to LetItSnow and SVXRide for some additional input and not letting me go too crazy with the protective circuits. With all that being said, here is the final configuration.

4 gauge power wire from the alternator to the battery with a 150A in-line MegaFuse as close to the battery terminal as possible. New 4 gauge ground cables to frame ground and engine

Alternator plug wires have been lengthened and rerouted underneath the intake manifold and reconnected as originally designed.

The two white wires that were originally attached to the alternator, that I shortened and attached directly to the battery, have been disconnected.

Once disconnected, I trimmed off the ring terminals, stripped the two wires and connected then together using solder and a crimped connector, followed by shrinkwrap. Safely tucked out of the way

Thanks to Harvey for looking "outside the box" and discovering that by simply removing those 2 white wires from the battery and connecting them together, the safeguards of the original circuitry have been restored. I also like that my alternator charging path is now independent of the other circuits.

If you haven't seen it, here is Harvey's solution:

Remove the two white wires from the alternator output post, shorten them back, join them together. Don"t connect them to anything as they are already connected to the battery through the fusible link.

The Alternator is connected through your new wire and fuse to the battery.

It would look like this:

The ignition wiring that was connected to the alternator, now is connected through the standard fusible link, to the battery. This isolates the alternator output from the rest of the system wiring, so in the event that the regulator loses control of the alternator voltage, it won't harm anything from the high voltage.

I was hesitant to start it up. I turned the key and it immediately came to life. No warning lights, fireworks, strange burning smells... nothing out of the ordinary. Cold startup voltage was 14.4V which goes down to about 13.8V when at operating temperature. I will post final photos very soon.

It is now very secure, clean and uncluttered, and as safe as the original circuitry.

Thanks again to everyone.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 12-03-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I'm electrically retarded. But this thread did convince me to remove my alternator wiring upgrade yesterday.
Maybe after a while I'll copy you, John. Sounds like you arrived at a good setup.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
I'm electrically retarded. But this thread did convince me to remove my alternator wiring upgrade yesterday.
Maybe after a while I'll copy you, John. Sounds like you arrived at a good setup.
There was nothing whatsoever with the original alternator wiring upgrade. All that was needed was an inline fuse in the 4 gauge alternator close to the battery. Adding wires was fine. You could have kept it without any problems.

The issues came when I was removing wires to make a different circuit, thereby bypassing a fusible link.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:25 PM

Registered SVX
Re: FINISHED: Alternator Wiring Upgrade Configuration

[QUOTE=svxcess;595531]The whole thing is now finished and I am happy with it.

4 gauge power wire from the alternator to the battery with a 70A AGU inline fuse close to the battery terminal. New 4 gauge ground cables to frame ground and engine. (OK)

Alternator plug wires have been lengthened and rerouted underneath the intake manifold and reconnected as originally designed. (OK)

The two white wires that were originally attached to the alternator, that I shortened and attached directly to the battery have been disconnected. (At the battery end???)

Once disconnected, I trimmed off the ring terminals, stripped the two wires and connected then together using solder and a crimped connector, followed by shrinkwrap. Safely tucked out of the way.(At the battery end???)

The instructions:-
"Remove the two white wires from the alternator output post, shorten them back, join them together. Don"t connect them to anything as they are already connected to the battery through the fusible link. (This has not been confirmed.)

The Ignition wiring that was connected to the alternator, now is connected through the standard fusible link, to the battery."

N.B. The ignition an all distribution circuits were always connected to, and protected by the fuse link, from what we can ascertain. The logical conclusion is that the light white wire was originally connected to the SBF holder terminal 2 and the main alternator terminal. Leaving the two wires in place and connecting the ALTERNATOR ends together would retain this circuit. But a long loop may be included.

Connecting them together only, at the opposite (battery/fusible link) end, may not complete the SBF circuit, unless there is an existing separate loop wire to the SBF.

Without definite confirmation regarding the original connection of the two white wires, at the ends, not connected to the alternator charging terminal, nothing is certain, as the wiring diagram is apparently not accurate.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 04-05-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:05 AM

Registered SVX

Alll this for 2 wires that are together! This is great seeing how it developed and how you found a good conclusion.
Ebony black 92 Ls-l Alive - 25XXXX - Quick change, Powermod , Alternator Mod , audiobahn 1300 watt ach ,exile 800 watt peak, jackhammer 12" 300 watt rms, polkaudio 6 1/2 compoment. kenwood dvd\nav . radar detector.small car lens and grill

Last edited by svxcess; 12-03-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Re: FINISHED: Alternator Wiring Upgrade Configuration

[QUOTE=Trevor;595589]
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
The whole thing is now finished and I am happy with it.

4 gauge power wire from the alternator to the battery with a 70A AGU inline fuse close to the battery terminal. New 4 gauge ground cables to frame ground and engine. (OK)

Alternator plug wires have been lengthened and rerouted underneath the intake manifold and reconnected as originally designed. (OK)

The two white wires that were originally attached to the alternator, that I shortened and attached directly to the battery have been disconnected from the battery.

Once I disconnected those wires from the battery, I removed the ring terminals, stripped the two wires and spliced them together using solder and a crimped connector, followed by shrinkwrap. Safely tucked out of the way.

The instructions:-

"Remove the two white wires from the alternator output post, shorten them back, join them together. Don't connect them to anything as they are already connected to the battery through the fusible link. (This has not been confirmed.)

The Ignition wiring that was connected to the alternator, now is connected through the standard fusible link, to the battery."

N.B. The ignition an all distribution circuits were always connected to, and protected by the fuse link, from what we can ascertain. The logical conclusion is that the light white wire was originally connected to the SBF holder terminal 2 and the main alternator terminal. Leaving the two wires in place and connecting the ALTERNATOR ends together would retain this circuit. But a long loop may be included.

Connecting them together only, at the opposite (battery/fusible link) end, may not complete the SBF circuit, unless there is an existing separate loop wire to the SBF.

Without definite confirmation regarding the original connection of the two white wires, at the ends, not connected to the alternator charging terminal, nothing is certain, as the wiring diagram is apparently not accurate.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Leaving the two wires in place and connecting the ALTERNATOR ends together would retain this circuit. But a long loop may be included.
Trevor,

Is this what I should have done?

Peresently I have only a single 4 gauge alternator charging wire, with an inline fuse at the battery end, attached to the alternator post. This is fine.

The two white wires, that were removed from the alternator, have been shortened and are presently spliced together and protected with shrink wrap. Thet are not attached to anything but each other.

Should I take those two white wires that are now spliced to each other, and splice a larger, single, 8 gauge wire to them. Run that single wire back to the alternator post and connect it there?

Last edited by svxcess; 04-06-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Trevor,

Is this what I should have done?

Peresently I have only a single 4 gauge alternator charging wire, with an inline fuse at the battery end, attached to the alternator post. This is fine.

The two white wires, that were removed from the alternator, have been shortened and are presently spliced together and protected with shrink wrap. Thet are not attached to anything but each other.

Should I take those two white wires that are now spliced to each other, and splice a larger, single, 8 gauge wire to them. Run that single wire back to the alternator post and connect it there?

John,

The two white wires should be reconnected as they were when the car was built, if you wish to adhere to the drawing posted. I do not know where they were connected. I do not know which ends, fusible link/battery end or alternator end, you have now joined together. (The two white wires, apparently are now completely out of circuit.) In any event I do not agree with the arrangement as has been illustrated, for good reason.

I have made it clear that the connection to the SBF, MAY be involved and you may now have this disconnected, due to the white wires being out of circuit. I do not know for certain, as the manual diagram is up the booha, dodgy, crook and bugger all good. Refer Bill’s confirming post #34. This thread is starting to brass me off.

I have twice advised the correct way to properly improve the existing system, refer my post #22. For the third time this data is repeated, with some additions so as to make the text even more clear, but with no technical alteration:-

I now detail my recommendation for the BEST POSSIBLE arrangement, as a final offering, (Big joke that turned out to be.) within a thread which has become a frustrating waste of time:-

Fit a heavier main charging circuit conductor as a replacement for the existing white wires from the main alternator terminal as now exist, incorporating a suitable inline fuse close to a direct connection to the battery. A connection, battery to fuse box, must remain intact.

Ensure that a separate voltage sensing conductor (only a fairly light gauge is required) is installed from alternator plug/socket connection 2, direct to the battery or direct battery circuit which does not include the fusible link. This circuit should be fused close to the battery end, at 10 amps, i.e. over rated as a safety measure. Provided this voltage sensing circuit remains intact, there will be no run away of the alternator.

It will be best if the battery end connection of the sensing conductor, is made at the fuse box and to the incorporated distribution bus bar connection point. There should be an existing white wire connected to this point, which can be used, so that physically accessing the fuse box is not required. This arrangement will achieve a tidy, workmanlike, electrically efficient job, without multiple connections to the battery terminal.

N.B. This new sensing circuit can not be broken, as a result of, for whatever reason, the blowing or opening of the fusible link, i.e. corrosion, mechanical disconnection, electrical blow out, or whatever.

A separate conductor is required between the protected end of the fusible link, i.e. via fuse box terminal 1 bridged to terminal 2 and SBF holder terminal 2. The facility for these connections will surely exist, possibly within the fuse box, but will require to be checked. I have no idea where the SBF (Sub Fuse Box??) is located and wired, so regret I can not advise in exact detail.

Unfortunately I have not been in a position to outline in physical detail all the required alterations, because I have not had exact information covering the factory installation, particularly regarding the termination of the original white wires at the battery/fusible link end, in spite of several requests.

You must take the time to read and understand all that I have posted, in order to do a proper job, regardless of the frustration and time this may involve.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
A separate conductor is required between the protected end of the fusible link, i.e. via fuse box terminal 1 bridged to terminal 2 and SBF holder terminal 2. The facility for these connections will surely exist, possibly within the fuse box, but will require to be checked. I have no idea where the SBF (Sub Fuse Box??) is located and wired, so regret I can not advise in exact detail.
SBF stands for Slow-Blow Fuse

These act as fusible links for the main groups of circuits and as such cover more circuits than just engine management.

These fuses have a time-lag characteristic to withstand heavy surges, yet they will blow quickly on high overloads or short circuits. These are designed for circuits having high inductive or capacity surges, or heavy starting currents.

The SBF's are located in the fuse box under the hood. There a 7 of them, ranging from 30A to 45A.

See the alternator wiring siagram from the FSM. Look in the lower left corner.

Last edited by svxcess; 04-07-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:26 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
SBF stands for Slow-Blow Fuse

These act as fusible links for the main groups of circuits and as such cover more circuits than just engine management.

These fuses have a time-lag characteristic to withstand heavy surges, yet they will blow quickly on high overloads or short circuits. These are designed for circuits having high inductive or capacity surges, or heavy starting currents.

The SBF's are located in the fuse box under the hood. There a 7 of them, ranging from 30A to 45A.

See the alternator wiring siagram from the FSM. Look in the lower left corner.

Thanks for the info.

I am fully aware of all types of fuse links and there characteristics, my company having distributed a line of HRC fuses.

If that is what the draughtsman is illustrating, it makes me even more sure that his drawing is crap, as he shows it as an individual component, linked to an external common conductor. :confused. The single line to the alternator, which in fact illustrates more than one conductor, has caused much head ache. His is not a wiring diagram, and it is most certainly not a schematic.

Unfortunately common in the automotive world and which makes us industrial electrical engineers --- . It is one hell of a mess. One such mess would have had me in court.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:09 AM

Awesome posts every one. I learned a lot from reading this.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Ok, so as much as I've kinda been drowned with my lack of wiring knowledge, I've taken a few good things from this thread. Although, an atempt at "try(ing) that at home" will not happen. lol it is far too complicated for my minimal knowledge.

I am however, interested in getting a newer nicer wiring harness for in between my battery and alternator and all the areas mentioned in this thread. So my question is, can all the smart electrical engineers and the like on the forum to to some sort of consensus and produce an alternator wiring harness upgrade for a cost to those of us with decaying 1992 wiring who don't have degrees in electrical engineering or 30 years worth of experience?