Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 02-19-2009, 09:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy'sSVX
Painting Engine Parts

So this summer I'm planning on taking my ?engine cover? (huge silver gray thing under hood) off and painting it semi gloss black with engine enamel. I'm just curious, what is under there? Are there any gaskets that will need to be replaced? or anything else?

Sorry i dont know all that much about cars just like to make mine look nice

Thanks

I want to try and make it look something like this?

1994 Barcelona Red LS 97,xxx miles
Mods:
- JVC Indash head unit, polk 6.5's, 6X9's, 2" tweeters, and 8" JL audio subwoofer run off of MA Audio M589I amp. Fiberglass Front splitters molded in, Shifted back stock spoiler, & repainted minor faded parts (Mirrors, rear quarter garnishes),18" murano 5-spoke wheels w/cooper zeon 2xs tires, '97 grille
Old 02-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Painting Engine Parts

The semi gloss black looks good. Best of luck with it.

Be careful taking off the manifold. It's a minefield under there. All the gear for the EGR stuff is there. Plus loads of metal pipes, plus two knock sensors. I think there may be wiring for the central torque control valve as well, and some of the fine pipes are rubber and tend to perish with the heat. If you damage one of these it will lose vacuum and run poorly.

I would advise you to get a workshop manual and follow instructions carefully to remove it. It's not rocket science but there is potential for doing harm if you try taking things off in the wrong sequence.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-19-2009, 12:32 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy'sSVX View Post
So this summer I'm planning on taking my ?engine cover? (huge silver gray thing under hood) off and painting it semi gloss black with engine enamel. I'm just curious, what is under there? Are there any gaskets that will need to be replaced? or anything else?

Sorry i dont know all that much about cars just like to make mine look nice

Thanks

I want to try and make it look something like this?

Hey its my car.

The intake on that car was sanded to remove all of the texture, and then painted with a high gloss paint. This was done by one of the previous owners. He also had painted all of the plastic garnish pieces chameleon, then the next owner sprayed the black you see over top of them, as they were not to his taste (or mine). You will encounter vaccum lines that may need replacing (a good idea to do while you have the area open) I would also suggest changing the PCV valve and cleaning the inside of the intake, as oil will occasionally build up.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Here is a picture with the intake removed:

Click on thumbnail for larger picture in Album.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

when you do it, will you write a how to in laymen terms of what you find needs to be done to safely remove it?? unless there already is one... someone linky??
Old 02-19-2009, 03:52 PM

I could attempt a how to. hahah

So basically I have to...
1. Take all the bolts out (in the right order)
2. Be very careful taking it off. (?theres nothing connected to it at all?)
3. Paint it,
4. Put it back on very carefully being sure not to knock anything?

Correct?

Also does anyone know how hot the manifold gets? I got engine enamel and the can says it is resistant up to 500* Does the manifold get hotter than that?

svxistentialist: Where could i find a workshop manual? Would i be able to find any diagrams online?

Or could i go to a garage and they could find something in one of their programs?

Mods:
- JVC Indash head unit, polk 6.5's, 6X9's, 2" tweeters, and 8" JL audio subwoofer run off of MA Audio M589I amp. Fiberglass Front splitters molded in, Shifted back stock spoiler, & repainted minor faded parts (Mirrors, rear quarter garnishes),18" murano 5-spoke wheels w/cooper zeon 2xs tires, '97 grille

Last edited by Jeremy'sSVX; 02-19-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

There are several vacuum lines attached to it, and the EGR system. That's why you have to be a bit careful removing it.

I also haven't taken mine off, but I know the general idea.

-Remove air intake tube from back of throttle body
-Remove throttle body from intake manifold (this has it's own mess of vacuum and coolant lines. You may be able to simply remove it's bolts and pull it back a bit)
-Disconnect EGR tube from intake. It's a metal pipe going into the right rear corner of the intake, probably under a square-ish metal shield. This may not go that easily, it does have exhaust gases flowing through it after all.
-Remove bolts holding intake to fuel injector stacks
-Start looking for vacuum lines to unplug. Get out your digital camera and take some pictures as you go so you'll remember where they go. These things get very brittle with age and heat, and may crack with even a gentle pull. If they do you'll need to replace them or the car will run like junk, or not at all.
-Lift intake carefully, unplug stuff. Lift some more, unplug some more. Keep going till it's out.

While it's out, replace your PCV valve. It will be about 300,000 times easier than with the intake in. You might also think about swapping the rear knock sensor with a new one. When you re-install you will need new gaskets for the manifold and throttle body.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-19-2009, 06:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

that pic w/o the intake on is so scary. its like something out of an 80s sifi flick. oh no! look! the suchinsuchy wakamoley capacitor bangy boom regulator was smashed in the explosion!!! ahhH!!

ok sorry.....was that just me?
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
There are several vacuum lines attached to it, and the EGR system. That's why you have to be a bit careful removing it.

I also haven't taken mine off, but I know the general idea.

-Remove air intake tube from back of throttle body
-Remove throttle body from intake manifold (this has it's own mess of vacuum and coolant lines. You may be able to simply remove it's bolts and pull it back a bit)
-Disconnect EGR tube from intake. It's a metal pipe going into the right rear corner of the intake, probably under a square-ish metal shield. This may not go that easily, it does have exhaust gases flowing through it after all.
-Remove bolts holding intake to fuel injector stacks
-Start looking for vacuum lines to unplug. Get out your digital camera and take some pictures as you go so you'll remember where they go. These things get very brittle with age and heat, and may crack with even a gentle pull. If they do you'll need to replace them or the car will run like junk, or not at all.
-Lift intake carefully, unplug stuff. Lift some more, unplug some more. Keep going till it's out.

While it's out, replace your PCV valve. It will be about 300,000 times easier than with the intake in. You might also think about swapping the rear knock sensor with a new one. When you re-install you will need new gaskets for the manifold and throttle body.
...Shiiiit... I know if i do that i'll screw something up, and its my daily driver...

I thought it was just a cover or something...I wonder if it would be easier to just tape everything off and cover it and paint it?

Mods:
Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Well there's a fairly simple alternative. Leave the intake in the car, clean it off really well, carefully mask whatever you don't want to paint, and spray away.

And no, it's not a cover. That big honkin 26-ish pound hunk of aluminum is a pretty important part of your engine.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-19-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Well there's a fairly simple alternative. Leave the intake in the car, clean it off really well, carefully mask whatever you don't want to paint, and spray away.

And no, it's not a cover. That big honkin 26-ish pound hunk of aluminum is a pretty important part of your engine.
Thats what i was thinking about doing, i think ill just get some plastic cover the majority of the engine and tape around the close stuff and paint it right in there..

Mods:
Old 02-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX

it's only a few bolts I think it's easiest to unbolt the manifold and the fuel stacks together ( undo the lower set of bolts)
There are alot of hoses and lines and whatnot, but it isnt exactly rocket science. If a hose cracks it needed to be replaced anyway. there are a few plastic hose fittings that you want to be VERY decicate with, so just be carefull. if you lift it and feel a snag, don't force it off.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-20-2009, 05:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Also, the painting part of it will require some sanding to remove the grime to allow the paint to adhere...assuming you don't already know that...
Old 02-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Jeremy

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I think you will make a proper banjax of the job trying to paint it in situ. Not a good way to go.

Granted there are a lot of pipes and stuff to be careful with, but in the end you have complete control to clean the unit and do a paint job you will be proud of, with no overspray to the surrounding areas.

Click on thumbnail above, then click on PhotoPost image for larger view of the paint on my modified manifold. It has been powdercoated and baked on the unit. It leaves a professional finish.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-20-2009, 05:59 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Plus I should have added, when you have identified and replaced heat hardened rubber pipes and such, you will have peace of mind that your engine will stay running properly because it is no longer susceptible to vacuum leaks.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl