SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2008, 10:42 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Question Atom Smasher Thingee?

It seems were closer to understanding the big bang theory and some other origin stuff through this atom smasher thing. Opening up new dimensions unseen to humans and all. Thinking about it..I wonder if people should mess with stuff like that? Maybe the mayan calender is wrong and the world will end before 12-21-2012

Has anyone else heard about it? I tried to read it but I get lost in all those big words and theory stuff. Can anyone brake it down into dummy terms?

heres a link....http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26439957/?gt1=43001

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 09-13-2008, 12:02 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Re: Atom Smasher Thingee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
It seems were closer to understanding the big bang theory and some other origin stuff through this atom smasher thing. Opening up new dimensions unseen to humans and all. Thinking about it..I wonder if people should mess with stuff like that? Maybe the mayan calender is wrong and the world will end before 12-21-2012

Has anyone else heard about it? I tried to read it but I get lost in all those big words and theory stuff. Can anyone brake it down into dummy terms?

My physics professor is actually directly working on that project. Some of his work has been integrated into the machine.

Basically, we're trying to replicate the universe's conditions 1/trillionth of a second after the big bang. We're doing this by smashing proton beams into each other at really high speeds in order to replicate the universe at that moment. Right now they're just running some testing. The real power won't be turned up until the Spring of next year.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post

Yes, basically we are trying to apply what we think we might know about things to see if it really works. What we didn't consider is that after we get this thing to function properly, it's going to open the dimension to God's secret hide out and when we catch him with his pants down...he's going to be extremely pissed and will probably wipe us out. The collider won't destroy us, catching God on the can reading Playboy will. I'm sure he's just reading the magazine for it's facinating stories....
Old 09-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

The basic goal of the Hadron collider is exactly what your post title says - to smash apart atoms so physicists can 'see' all the parts of an atom, or sub-atomic particles. A sub-atomic particle is just a particle (piece of matter) that's smaller than an atom. An 'elementary particle' is another term used. Literally it means one of the particles that makes up an element.

Until a bit before the middle of last century, the only sub-atomic particles that were thought to exist were the proton, neutron and electron. Now physicists know that there are hundreds of even smaller particles that make up each proton, electron or neutron and then even smaller particles that make up those smaller particles. Think of it like a country, which is made up of states, which are made up of cities, which are made up of suburbs, which are made up of streets, which contain houses, etc.

Theoretical and particle physicists are the dudes that compare what we know about the particles that make up atoms (atomic structure) with how atoms actually behave and try and figure out what's missing.

Some of those smaller particles are only 'known' in theory - they haven't been confirmed in experiments because we've never been able to break an atom apart. Others are thought to only have existed for fractions of a second after The Big Bang so, like Manarius said, they could only be proven to exist by recreating the conditions that caused atoms to come together. (In a way we're doing the reverse of the Big Bang - we're tearing some atoms apart instead of putting them back together, but to do that we need the same conditions)

One of the 'Holy Grails' of physics is to explain why matter exists at all. How did something come out of what we understand as nothing? The current theory is that a particle called the Higgs bosun is what caused or causes particles to have mass. Its hoped that the collider will either prove or disprove its existence. If its proven, great, but even if disproven, it allows room for new theories to be developed. (It's often referred to as "the God particle" btw)

I'm a biologist, not a physicist, so that's about as best as I can explain it, and even though this post is half a mile long, it leaves a ton out for others to add. Sometimes simplifying science borders on making the explanation wrong. Here's a link a physicist friend sent me which shows how the collider works using interactive graphics and explains the sub-atomic better than I can here. http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/in...30/cernproject

As for whether we should mess with it, that's a toughie to answer. Pretty much all scientific enquiry has controversy attatched to it - the very nature of enquiry is trying to answer unknown questions. For me it boils down to humility and ethics - do we know enough to factor the risks? As a biologist I'm bothered by genetic engineering. Not in principle, but I do question whether we know enough to understand the long term ramifications and I do know that genetically engineered plants, can't be contained the way big agribusiness would like the public to believe. At the same time, all species came about as a result of what could be called genetic engineering - its just that nature did the engineering over billions of years.

As far as the collider goes, yeah I'm personally satisfied that physics is advanced enough to understand those risks. Doesn't mean they're right or that I'm right to believe them. Sure as hell hope they are, though.
===

And Noir.. ya made me laugh.

No plants = no life on earth - so go forth and plant green things!
Old 09-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the CERN effort. It will be extremely cool if they can actually measure the Higgs Boson so we can actually get our arms around the question why do things weigh what they weigh?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the CERN effort. It will be extremely cool if they can actually measure the Higgs Boson so we can actually get our arms around the question why do things weigh what they weigh?
-Bill

all these measurements being taken are in the metric system right???

Tom
Old 09-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

There's a lot of contraversey about this whole thing going on. Personally I'm rather excited to see what comes of it. It's truely groundbreaking, and what we learn from it could potentially be used to put us in hte next solar system, or galaxy even. The effects down the line will be immeasurable.

Think back, when things such as radiation, vacuum tubes, and integrated circuits were coming about, the folks toying with them were ridiculed, or even called blasphemous, for their work. Yet, where would we be today had they not continued on. Even further, Columbus to prove the earth wasn't flat. Sure, we'd have likely found out eventually, however who knows when it would have been? Every time there is something that has the potential to be a giant step, there is much hesitation. Either folks are genuinly scared, or trying to cover their asses, incase something goes wrong, so they can say "I told you so." Yet we push onwards. Today's worth without computers? Not nearly as powerful, efficient, or generally fun.

I say go for it, I can't wait to see what comes of it.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:25 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

In addition to what plantchick said, one thing that my professor mentioned was that the LHC is helping out with the use of grid computing. Because the LHC puts out so much data, Grid computing is necessary to store, transmit, and analyze all of that data. Grid computing has many many potential applications and the chance to revolutionize computing and the internet was we know it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_co...d_applications
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
all these measurements being taken are in the metric system right???

Tom
Funny, real funny...
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-15-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantchick View Post
The basic goal of the Hadron collider is exactly what your post title says - to smash apart atoms so physicists can 'see' all the parts of an atom, or sub-atomic particles. A sub-atomic particle is just a particle (piece of matter) that's smaller than an atom. An 'elementary particle' is another term used. Literally it means one of the particles that makes up an element.

Until a bit before the middle of last century, the only sub-atomic particles that were thought to exist were the proton, neutron and electron. Now physicists know that there are hundreds of even smaller particles that make up each proton, electron or neutron and then even smaller particles that make up those smaller particles. Think of it like a country, which is made up of states, which are made up of cities, which are made up of suburbs, which are made up of streets, which contain houses, etc.

Theoretical and particle physicists are the dudes that compare what we know about the particles that make up atoms (atomic structure) with how atoms actually behave and try and figure out what's missing.

Some of those smaller particles are only 'known' in theory - they haven't been confirmed in experiments because we've never been able to break an atom apart. Others are thought to only have existed for fractions of a second after The Big Bang so, like Manarius said, they could only be proven to exist by recreating the conditions that caused atoms to come together. (In a way we're doing the reverse of the Big Bang - we're tearing some atoms apart instead of putting them back together, but to do that we need the same conditions)

One of the 'Holy Grails' of physics is to explain why matter exists at all. How did something come out of what we understand as nothing? The current theory is that a particle called the Higgs bosun is what caused or causes particles to have mass. Its hoped that the collider will either prove or disprove its existence. If its proven, great, but even if disproven, it allows room for new theories to be developed. (It's often referred to as "the God particle" btw)

I'm a biologist, not a physicist, so that's about as best as I can explain it, and even though this post is half a mile long, it leaves a ton out for others to add. Sometimes simplifying science borders on making the explanation wrong. Here's a link a physicist friend sent me which shows how the collider works using interactive graphics and explains the sub-atomic better than I can here. http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/in...30/cernproject

As for whether we should mess with it, that's a toughie to answer. Pretty much all scientific enquiry has controversy attatched to it - the very nature of enquiry is trying to answer unknown questions. For me it boils down to humility and ethics - do we know enough to factor the risks? As a biologist I'm bothered by genetic engineering. Not in principle, but I do question whether we know enough to understand the long term ramifications and I do know that genetically engineered plants, can't be contained the way big agribusiness would like the public to believe. At the same time, all species came about as a result of what could be called genetic engineering - its just that nature did the engineering over billions of years.

As far as the collider goes, yeah I'm personally satisfied that physics is advanced enough to understand those risks. Doesn't mean they're right or that I'm right to believe them. Sure as hell hope they are, though.
===

And Noir.. ya made me laugh.
tooo....many......words.....to..........reed...... must....remain...ignant...
Old 09-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
tooo....many......words.....to..........reed...... must....remain...ignant...

cliffnotes:
the collider will open a portal to an alternate dimension, through which will pass an invasion force of donkey-men warriors bent on conquering our world.

ready your army of crack-monkeys, for the final battle will be at hand.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 PM
I kill more trannies then god

has any one else here played the original half-life. that about concludes my thoughts on the matter.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Not to nerdily rain in your already gloomy parade, but Black Mesa first acquired Xen artifacts through experimental portals, and it was one such artifact that when tampered with opened the resonance cascades.

If you think about it, really think about it, the LHC barely has enough power to smash atoms together, and those things are tiny. They don't have much energy by themselves. If it somehow did create mini black holes, they would be so small and insignificant as to decay in a span of time likely shorter than the collision itself.
I believe most of the power consumption goes towards powering those massive electromagnets.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
Not to nerdily rain in your already gloomy parade, but Black Mesa first acquired Xen artifacts through experimental portals, and it was one such artifact that when tampered with opened the resonance cascades.

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 09-16-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
cliffnotes:
the collider will open a portal to an alternate dimension, through which will pass an invasion force of donkey-men warriors bent on conquering our world.

ready your army of crack-monkeys, for the final battle will be at hand.
ahh....relief from the overheating of my noggin....you are the great savior of millions of head lice that dwells in the thick stalks of my hair. all hail landmule!!!