SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-03-2008, 03:40 AM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Paint Guys notice!!!

Our local paint suppliers have been EATEN by a MONSTER!!!

I just spent 80 hours getting my Street Rod ready for the 4th of July run.
I worked till 1:30 AM every day for the last 6 days.
I pulled her into the spraybooth and shot the WORSE paint that I have ever used all over my baby It looked like glass when I went to bed,. when I went back to pull the tape, I was SHOCKED at how bad it had DULLED!!

Now, I used all of the same brand names, so it was NOT my Fault!!
I PAID the money!! I used all the CRAP that is being THRUST UPON me!
I wish that I would have went to 'Tractor Supply' company and bought the $20. per gallon stuff!

It would look better If I had sprayed it with "Rustolium' spray cans!!

The 'NEW' owners have replaced DuPont with a thing called OMNI! I will buy Omni in red and use it to KILL the WEEDS in my brick sidewalk!! I Will NOT shoot that $hit at another car!

I am so Pi$$ed right now!! I should be bolting my baby back together, but I will have to re-paint her tomorrow to get the 'SHINE' that I EXPECT from any product that I will use on a CUSTOMER's Car.

Another sleepless night!!

I did a search for the MONSTER that ATE my supplier, but all I got was the phone number that I already had. They had already gone home before I realized that I had WASTED 80 hours of my time!

I just got the answer machine at 'Headquarter'. I told them that I have been a steady customer for 35 years at the company that they just ate. I also told them that if they did not put DuPont or Western BACK on the shelves, that I would NOT be buying anything else from them.

I am LIVID!!! I will not sleep untill I KNOW what they are going to DO about the problem that they CAUSED!! Hell, It's 5:30 am on thursday. They open at 8 AM. I spent 6 days burning the candle at both ends to get this truck BEAUTIFUL. I took it completely apart, rubbed the 'love' into it, painted each part, stacked it back up into a truck, then came back to a MIS-CARRAGE!! They THINK that I owe them $200. for the meterials. I think that they owe ME $1,000 for the wasted labor!

I just Thank God that I didn't shoot this $hit at the SVX!!!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 07-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Locker Link Solution

Exclamation Re: Paint Guys notice!!!

they`ve been open 25 minutes... you`re not in jail are you?

thanks for the warning on OMNI!
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:01 PM
SVXless

Re: Paint Guys notice!!!

We use PPG on our Mustangs and have never had a problem. It was between that and DuPont. Thanks for the paint warning though!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix View Post
you`re not in jail are you?
Alright, who's gonna bail Jerry out?
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian View Post
Alright, who's gonna bail Jerry out?

Rep called.
They gave me a gallon of paint, thinner, an activator and a gallon of clean-up thinner.
I went back to the shop and re-sprayed the bed with a positive outcome.
We then pulled the truck back in and STARTED to re-spray the rest of it.
It started burning on the grill. I tried to shoot a 'mist' coat on one side of the hood. It burnt too.
I pulled it out of the booth and hid it behind the garage with a TARP. I will let it cure for a week or 2 and try again.

I will be calling the rep again on monday to see what can be done to get er done.

GGGRRRRRR!!!

Jerry
Old 07-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

I HATE omni products with a passion. Ask anyone who went to Reading to describe what my front end looked like. It's like sandpaper. The stuff doesn't cover worth crap and the clears dry up way to fast and don't produce a quality shine like I want. We use PPG Deltron paint at work and PPG Concept 2021 clear at work and it is by far the best paint and clears I have sprayed and the 2021 clear gives you good durability, sands easy months after it's sprayed, and shines like the car just came out of the factory. Just something for you to think about if you want to try new paint companies.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-05-2008, 09:51 PM

Classic SVX

I shot the **** on my svx. Painter friend said that it was the 'latest and greatest'. It looked bad after he painted it but he said that it just needed some curing. Two weeks later it looked worse.

When I took it back he looked it over and said 'That paint job looks like crap and I can't fix it.' Then he told me that he used a 'new clear coat'. He threw away what he had left over and told me that he was going to sand it down and reshoot the whole thing.

I should get it back next week. I hope that it looks better.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:47 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Jerry, well I know you are the expert in bodywork/paint jobs, but there is a technique that is used back home.

I dunno what went wrong with the job that was done, I dunno if you are talking about the paint or the lacquer, but there are some who "buff" the lacquer with sand paper to make it shine then get the car again inside the booth and perform a couple more turns on the lacquer.

After two months or so, they would buff it again with a 1500 grit paper and polish it.

BTW, I was browsing a while back for the "Best" paint compound for a car, I also asked around the paint experts that I know, some mentioned "Star Gazer" or something... it is German that is distinguished with very small particles unlike the others...

Any feedback?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

I use CR4. it's made from Germany and it's AWSOME.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
I HATE omni products with a passion. Ask anyone who went to Reading to describe what my front end looked like. It's like sandpaper. The stuff doesn't cover worth crap and the clears dry up way to fast and don't produce a quality shine like I want. We use PPG Deltron paint at work and PPG Concept 2021 clear at work and it is by far the best paint and clears I have sprayed and the 2021 clear gives you good durability, sands easy months after it's sprayed, and shines like the car just came out of the factory. Just something for you to think about if you want to try new paint companies.
I used to use those products untill the price pushed them out of my spectrum. I still use them on 'high end' jobs.
Since this was MY truck and this is the 'ONLY' product left on the lower price range around here, I TRIED to use it!

I WILL master this crap!! We don't use the OMNI clear. It has proven to be $-hit!!

When you tell someone with a $1,000 car that the paint job will cost $500. for materials and THEN I get to add on 'pay the bills', they will drive it looking like crap! They will not pay more than the car is worth for a paint job! I will have 40 hours minimum in a job, then I have to buy tape, sandpaper, thinners, etc. (And I don't work for FREE)
(but IF I can make the car look good for under $1,000. The might do it)

A friend told me a LONG time ago, " If you are going to starve to death, sit down and DO it! Don't do it while you are working".

In other words, get a FAIR price for a GOOD outcome, or don't WASTE your time!

Jerry
Old 07-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Jerry, well I know you are the expert in bodywork/paint jobs, but there is a technique that is used back home.

I dunno what went wrong with the job that was done, I dunno if you are talking about the paint or the lacquer, but there are some who "buff" the lacquer with sand paper to make it shine then get the car again inside the booth and perform a couple more turns on the lacquer.

After two months or so, they would buff it again with a 1500 grit paper and polish it.

BTW, I was browsing a while back for the "Best" paint compound for a car, I also asked around the paint experts that I know, some mentioned "Star Gazer" or something... it is German that is distinguished with very small particles unlike the others...

Any feedback?
I used laquer paint for 25 years. THEN the guv'ment said it was KILLING the Ozone layer and made it go away! We can't BUY it anymore!
I started using DuPont Centari with GREAT results. Now I can't buy THAT anymore!

We used to be able to buy 7 different brands of paint here. Now we have a choice of PPG or PPG's OMNI..

Jerry
Old 07-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop View Post
I shot the **** on my svx. Painter friend said that it was the 'latest and greatest'. It looked bad after he painted it but he said that it just needed some curing. Two weeks later it looked worse.

When I took it back he looked it over and said 'That paint job looks like crap and I can't fix it.' Then he told me that he used a 'new clear coat'. He threw away what he had left over and told me that he was going to sand it down and reshoot the whole thing.

I should get it back next week. I hope that it looks better.
I sure am GLAD that we didn't use it on Henry's car!

Jerry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: