IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2008, 04:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to RMaltzen
Electrical Problem?

1994 Subaru SVX LSi

Some Background:

Starting about 2 months ago, I was having a massive electrical problem with my SVX. I would start the car in the morning to let it run while I showered (winter time in MN and all). When I would come out to the car, the ABS and Airbag lights would be on, ever so dimly. As soon as I gave the car a little gas, they would shut off and the dash would brighten up to normal illumination. Later on, during driving, I would start to see the lights come on again when I would brake. Not only would the 2 lights come on, but the spedometer and tach would both drop to 0. The radio and clock would also shut off and the steering would get stiff. It was as if when I braked, I lost all power to my instruments and accessories, but the engine continued to run and I could drive as normal. When I got home, I noticed some corrosion on the battery terminals. I cleaned the terminals and cable connections with a wire brush, reconnected them, and the problem went away.

2 months later, it appears my gremlin is beginning to return. I just cleaned the connections again today to see if a quick fix would solve it, but no such luck. I am not having quite the level of seriousness as I was before, but I did notice that today, when I got into the car, the ABS and Airbag lights were on, very dimly. Also, for the last week, my radio will occasionally shut off and immediately power back on when I hit my brakes.

I have a new battery and new alternator in the vehicle as of about a month ago.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated in solving this issue hopefully before it gets any worse.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2008, 05:35 PM

Sort of sounds like...

a bad electrical connection I would check all the connections I could find.
Hitting the brakes may jolt some connection?
May need new connectors on the battery cables ends. Ch both the battery and the other ends as well. A lose connection or maybe Corrosion where they fasten together? A bad connection in the power supply could reduce voltage. Also fuse link connectors for good clean connections.
Good luck,
Keith
Old 04-02-2008, 12:58 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMaltzen View Post
1994 Subaru SVX LSi

Some Background:

Starting about 2 months ago, I was having a massive electrical problem with my SVX. I would start the car in the morning to let it run while I showered, winter time in MN and all. When I would come out to the car, the ABS and Airbag lights would be on, ever so dimly. (Were the lights on with ignition on, or only after start up?)

As soon as I gave the car a little gas, they would shut off and the dash would brighten up to normal illumination. (Dash illumination? Were these lights on and not fully illuminated at start up?)

Later on, during driving, I would start to see the lights come on again when I would brake. Not only would the 2 lights come on, (presume ABS & airbag)
but the spedometer and tach would both drop to 0. The radio and clock would also shut off and the steering would get stiff. (Do you have speed sensitive power steering?)

It was as if when I braked, I lost all power to my instruments and accessories, but the engine continued to run and I could drive as normal. (Did this happen every time you braked and with the foot brake?)

When I got home, I noticed some corrosion on the battery terminals. I cleaned the terminals and cable connections with a wire brush, reconnected them, and the problem went away. (Was the new battery in place at this time?
(Are you sure that cleaning the battery terminals was the only alteration you made and nothing else could have fixed the problem, i.e. could you have done something else, even without intention????)

2 months later, it appears my gremlin is beginning to return. I just cleaned the connections again today to see if a quick fix would solve it, but no such luck. I am not having quite the level of seriousness as I was before, but I did notice that today, when I got into the car, ( Turned on the ignition? Only after the engine was running?) the ABS and Airbag lights were on, very dimly.

Also, for the last week, my radio will occasionally shut off and immediately power back on when I hit my brakes. (Was this a new problem, not previously occurring?)

I have a new battery and new alternator in the vehicle as of about a month ago. (When were each of these fitted relative to the existance of the faults reported?)

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated in solving this issue hopefully before it gets any worse.

Thanks
Please advise regarding the questions inserted as above.

At any time, or in a special situation, have you noticed the driving lights dimming, or being below par?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-07-2008, 01:40 AM

I have the exact same problem

Hello

I have the exact same problem! This is a major issue. I like the car but as a daily driver I just can not deal with this. I have don the connector check, swaped the altenator new batteries ( yes plural I am no longer buying optimas as the life expentancy is close to zero ) also I spoke with a guy who was selling his svx for the same reason. HELP HELP HELP. Surely this is not an isolated thing. If some one has sucessfully diagnosed this please for the love of god share. If not I am just going to have to take this thing out back and shoot it just to get it out of my misery.

Thank you for your time
Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by aetrox View Post
Hello

I have the exact same problem! This is a major issue. I like the car but as a daily driver I just can not deal with this. I have don the connector check, swaped the altenator new batteries ( yes plural I am no longer buying optimas as the life expentancy is close to zero ) also I spoke with a guy who was selling his svx for the same reason. HELP HELP HELP. Surely this is not an isolated thing. If some one has sucessfully diagnosed this please for the love of god share. If not I am just going to have to take this thing out back and shoot it just to get it out of my misery.

Thank you for your time
Please refer to earlier post No. #3 and provide as full and exact information as you are able. A problem of this kind is difficult to analyse and every possible clue must be on hand.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-07-2008, 06:26 AM

First off check all of your ground wires or just replace what you feel is bad,second check that little ground wire behind your throttlebody connected to the firewall,mine was shot.I replace it with a heavier guage wire an added another ground.A great way to tell if your wiring needs to be replaced is to just start your car and check a tail light connector,headlight connector or a few random connector,if you don't get battery voltage or your are losing 1/2 volt somewhere replace your wires pos and neg wires.I have 2 gauge for pos,4 gauge grounds,good luck remember with have old cars but now we have technology to make them better.