Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Ah, you could be right there Craig

There was a post here once asking how to stick a stamp on an email.

The other point I didn't mention was the auto only gearbox. Amazingly there are 16 yo owners of the SVX in the US, very happy with their cars.

Over here a 16 yo would first off not be able to afford insurance or running costs for the SVX, but more tellingly, they would not be seen DEAD behind the wheel of an automatic car.

It's all about street cred, you see, and it would offend their notions of themselves as sporty drivers.

Different strokes for different folks.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Phil & Belha

A lot of teenager drivers lack the experience to realise that the relative "unsportiness" of the automatic gearbox is somewhat made up for by having FOUR TIMES the horsepower of their Vauxhall Nova with the nasty plastic bodykit.

John's right about it being quiet though. We seem to have lost a few UK members along the way. Even some of the old guard are being seduced by Skylines and 350Z's. Still, it means more SVXes to share out between the those of us who remain. I hear some guy in Ireland has been buying them up and owns 2% of the UK cars now.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 03-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
A lot of teenager drivers lack the experience to realise that the relative "unsportiness" of the automatic gearbox is somewhat made up for by having FOUR TIMES the horsepower of their Vauxhall Nova with the nasty plastic bodykit.

John's right about it being quiet though. We seem to have lost a few UK members along the way. Even some of the old guard are being seduced by Skylines and 350Z's. Still, it means more SVXes to share out between the those of us who remain. I hear some guy in Ireland has been buying them up and owns 2% of the UK cars now.
Yes. I heard that too. Dreadful.

It might mean there is some truth to all those Irish jokes, some of them are stupid all right.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-26-2008, 07:02 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
John, if I was to take a guess I would say that the reason there is less posting is because we are all smarter and more clued in over this side of the Pond!

We all know all there is to know about the SVX and how to fix it. We even are fairly smart in getting parts or getting service.

I'm joking as you know, but there is a serious side to it. Over in the States, new owners seem to have an average age of around 10, and ask for everything and anything. So lots of posts.

Over here, only mature owners can afford, or maybe only mature owners want, an SVX. These owners are savvy about cars anyway, and possibly they just put the cars into the main dealer for a service, rather than try to fault find or service anything themselves.

That's my theory on the low post count over here. Every so often we get a new member who will post, but many are shy I feel.

Joe
But not smart enough to get a pair o' new discs?.............and it's more like 'accross the puddle, not the pond'..............only joking!

I get a great response from people over the SVX, turns heads and makes for good conversation....young and old, to me the SVX is not very photogenic and only comes alive when you see it in the flesh.....it's not got the look of a nova/saxo on glossy paper.....a right set of 18'' s on one makes all the difference budding Nova dude. Saying all that, up here in bonny Scotland we're still waiting for gas and electicity and such a modern machine like the SVX is a rare site

John

the older I get, the faster I was
Old 03-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueji View Post
Saying all that, up here in bonny Scotland we're still waiting for gas and electicity and such a modern machine like the SVX is a rare site

John
So, what are you saying here John? That you posted this response on a steam driven internet and email machine?

Tell us more.....

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-26-2008, 04:55 PM

Registered SVX
I think at this rate it could soon be a steam driven SVX.......we all might take the michael out of our friends in the good ol USA, but they get all the fun

must go.....running out of steam

john

Old 04-01-2008, 03:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
Hi Joe, how do you know I have just placed mine at dealer's for regular service?:-)
As for brakes, I have ordered rear discs from EBC and waiting for an year for them!:-(
Petr
Old 04-01-2008, 04:29 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Hi Joe, how do you know I have just placed mine at dealer's for regular service?:-)
As for brakes, I have ordered rear discs from EBC and waiting for an year for them!:-(
Petr
Hello Petr

Good to hear from you, how are you?

You are a patient man. I would not wait that long. You should do like John did. Buy disks from either of the suppliers listed on page 1, and fit EBC Greenstuff pads. That's what I am about to do, along with fitting steel braided hoses from Canada.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 04-07-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:20 AM

Registered SVX
Whilst we're on the subject, the afore mention by Joe is still working fine for a cheap upgrade, not exactly Tarox or brembo but does give some improvment, braided hose especially......but heres the thing, my front discs had warped, as expected, and I was going to get them skimmed thinking that would do the trick...the company who were going to do the job suggested I swap the discs over (left to right and vise versa) so they were turning in the other direction. The company, noted for doing work for Cosworth, Lotus and AM to mention a few, were not happy to relieve me of £90.00 to do the job and were not into 'cheap fixes'.....this idea was given to them from a reliable source in the motor trade and said to try it first, if not buy new.....and b***er me, it works!!

John

Old 04-07-2008, 10:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
Hi Joe, after a battle everybody is general:-). I did not know that this will take a year, they have confirmed my order, I have sent money but they sold discs to somebody else. So my money are out there:-)
So far I am fine, I will see what my Subaru guys will find this time after inspection. The most expensive parts I could be surprised with are diff and half axies (I do not remeber the name for things going from diff to wheel:-)).
I still have AC not working on very hot days - just blowing hot air even if everything was double checked and fluid is there and I can hear some bad noise comming from rear left (not bearing) which occures at 2600 RPM. So still lot of gremlins there to play with. Hopefully my spare care can save me a lot of money as a source of parts, it definitely pays off to have one.
Petr