How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Looks and smells great.

"Rattling" in the Corners

Okay, so I noticed this problem recently and I'm not sure what it could be. Whenever I take a right corner under power, I hear a strange rattling coming from the right front of the vehicle (I believe). It doesn't do it in left turns, and it doesn't do it in right turns when I'm not on the gas. Also, it's pretty quiet. If I have the radio or the heater on and the windows up, I don't even hear it.

Any ideas? I'm quite a n00b when it comes to car repair, so I didn't notice anything when I looked under the car (well, I mean, I noticed that there was a bunch of stuff under there but I have no idea what any of it is ). I have a Chilton's repair manual, some rudimentary tools, and not much money. Is this something I can troubleshoot without going to a mechanic?
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 03-01-2008, 10:41 PM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

check your sway bar bushings first. then your brake caliper guide pins. then CV axle. then strut top hat. then bearing. then ball joint. then control arm. i've had a bad one of all each of these and they all can make similar noises.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
id check the cv joints first, if the boots are torn it can do this. my drivers side is badly torn, i have a new one im waiting to put in if this snow lets up for a while, but for now i have to deal with a loud clicking when i turn either way, it used to be only when i turned right, now it constantly does it unless i coast around a corner while not giving it any gas. its quite annoying, but seems to go away when it snows or when i go through puddles haha. thats what i would check first off though, my car didnt do it when i first bought it but a while after it did, and the boot has been torn ever since ive had it. hopefully i can get out there soon and get it swapped out.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Looks and smells great.

Could that be it if it doesn't make any noise under hard cornering with no gas? I'm really hoping it's not something in the tranny/front diff, that's all. I'll check all my seals/boots/etc.; what should I look for?
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 03-03-2008, 06:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
just look for any tears in the boots (the one closest to the wheel and also the one closest to the tranny, although id guess its the one closest to the wheel). yes, it can do that under hard cornering with no gas, mine used to only do it while i cornered with the gas, now its so bad it does it around all corners. just make sure the boots are ok, if they are its something else, but id check the boots first as that seems like the most likely culprit in my experience, just climb underneath, and check out the boots on the side the noise is coming from. make sure you spin the wheel to check around the entire boot.