How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2007, 10:41 PM

oil temp high, car dies

car keeps dying on short trips while driving in bad traffic, car will just die and when i turn it back on, the at oil temp flashes at me.... i have full oil..i added some but it went above full... i just dont know why my oil temp keeps gettin real hot
Old 12-17-2007, 07:14 AM
Locker Link Solution

Oil temp light
or
Trans fluid temp light?

First I would guess that you may have a bad oil pump, but from memory I don't think we have an oil temp. There is an oil can that lights up when the oil is low and oil pressure drops below 10 I think. When this happens you starve the engine and certain components swell and seize up the engine... or "stall" sometimes permenantly. The trans could stall it out, not sure if I've ever heard that happen to an SVX, but I've seen some autos stall the car when they die

-EDITED- Forgot to elaborate on oil pressure
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 12-17-2007 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:59 PM

yeah the oil temp light, right under the car picture on the dash, mabye just an obd2 thing... but anyways... the problem is getting more serious and its shutting down even more... i really need soem help here... i dont know what this all meens...
Old 12-18-2007, 07:23 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
It says AT OIL TEMP right?
That's the TRANS temp light. Count the flashes, I'd bet there's 16 of them. It's telling you there's an electrical problem in the trans.

There's a writeup in the "How To" section at the top of the page. It tells you how to pull the tranny codes.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix View Post
Oil temp light
or
Trans fluid temp light?

First I would guess that you may have a bad oil pump, but from memory I don't think we have an oil temp. There is an oil can that lights up when the oil is low and oil pressure drops below 10 I think. When this happens you starve the engine and certain components swell and seize up the engine... or "stall" sometimes permenantly. The trans could stall it out, not sure if I've ever heard that happen to an SVX, but I've seen some autos stall the car when they die

-EDITED- Forgot to elaborate on oil pressure
I can attest to the trans stalling engine, it happens in my 68 mustang that needs a new transmission when I toss it into D. Check to make sure your not leaking oil first off. And if that light continues to come on, I wouldn't continue to drive it as the possibility of seizing and you will not like when that happens.
A lot of money = new engine basically.

Also, like stated above, check the oil pump. Also, Dying seems like a MAF problem but I am by no means a expert of the SVX lol.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 12-18-2007, 08:03 PM

lol, now that u ask, i am leaking a good amount of oil , i didnt count the blinking, but i know it wasnt 16 times, more like 4-6..
Old 12-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisen_15 View Post
lol, now that u ask, i am leaking a good amount of oil , i didnt count the blinking, but i know it wasnt 16 times, more like 4-6..
Well the reason that light came on is well, low oil I believe. If you can pinpoint the spot it is leaking from that might help. Check Oil pan too, from your joys of off-roading. First this is get some more oil in it before it gets so low it seizes.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 12-18-2007, 08:14 PM

remember, i have a 96 svx, and my power light does not come on, so i dont know how to check the codes of the at oil temp light.. i also have to much oil in right now, i will drain some.. im having problems with what i suspect to be my cam sensor.. im getting some bad heesitation, misfiring and what feels like the abs goes off and the car gets jerked around when im in 4th gear..
Old 12-18-2007, 08:16 PM

lol, my first time it happend, yes i was low on oil, i put some more in... then it happens again, so i put more oil in cuzz i have a leak, but today i looked at my level and its WAY above full... so its nothing to do with my oil level, my tranny fluid looks good, its full, and theres no metal particels in the fluid... but when my car died i tested the temps of the oil and the tranny, the tranny fluid seemed much hoter then my oil
Old 12-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
remember, i have a 96 svx, and my power light does not come on, so i dont know how to check the codes of the at oil temp light.. i also have to much oil in right now, i will drain some.. im having problems with what i suspect to be my cam sensor.. im getting some bad heesitation, misfiring and what feels like the abs goes off and the car gets jerked around when im in 4th gear..
None of this sounds good. Did you check for codes?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 PM

uhh, no i havent checked for codes, i have a new ecu since like 2 months ago, ive only recieved 2 CEL's on the new one, one for slow 02 sesnor-so i repleaced it, then i got a CEL for misfire cyl.2- so i replaced coil..... ran better for like 1 day then all my problems came back....

does anyone think all my problems are related?? or do i have a bad engine and tanny...
Old 12-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
uhh, no i havent checked for codes, i have a new ecu since like 2 months ago, ive only recieved 2 CEL's on the new one, one for slow 02 sesnor-so i repleaced it, then i got a CEL for misfire cyl.2- so i replaced coil..... ran better for like 1 day then all my problems came back....

does anyone think all my problems are related?? or do i have a bad engine and tanny...
Now don't go jumping to conclusions lol. Get the CEL code , that would be great. Have you checked the Vacuum hoses? I heard those can cause big problems.
-edit-
I just read back one of those post, you said your tranny is way hotter then your oil ? Did you check your trannies fluid levels? I was under the impression your oil light was coming on, but it seems you have you A/T TEMP light on? That would imply you are having tranny problems. Did I read right that you can not get TCU Codes? Like I said codes will help alot here.

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 12-18-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:16 PM

tranny fluid is good, i checked the tranny temp dip stick and it was on hot.. but it wasnt to hot to the touch... vacum hoses u say.... i dont know.... i can try... my egr vacum hose has the little plug out of it, its like a little one way valve... and my fpr has some big housing on it... i cleared codes along time ago unless they stay in memory, and plus i used an obd2 reader that says the exact problem...if you would all like i can make a video of the hesitation/problems, i think that would explain alot, but manirous has a video on youtube with hesitation just like mine
Old 12-18-2007, 10:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
Quote:

I think your problems might be related to your driving style.
The SVX is not a Honda or a Toyota or other related imports.
Its a touring car and should be driven like that. Keep the car for cruises/trips and get a Honda or whatever and beat the snot out of that.

Personaly, I think the SVX should have a age requirement.
You should be over 30 to own one.
(dons flame suit)
Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 PM

well i read about bad cam sensors, and i can say, im hitting fuel cut out at som points of hard accelration... my exhuast is loud and it sounds like im rapping out in like 4000rpm... sounds weird, anyone have a cam sensor for sale? is there anything i can do to the one i have right now and maby clean it up and fix it? do i have to take the valve cover and stuff off to get it off or will it just snuggly come out?