Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-09-2007, 01:47 PM

Question Stuck in Park Going nowhere today

Hey! I have a 1994 SVX that does not want to go for a drive today. Starts great as always but will not permit me to come out of park. Brake depressed, putton on shift lever creates a relay click but will not move out of park. This was sudden car has been working great up until this day. Oh I also noticed that the ABS light stays on when the car is idling.
Any ideas?
Mike
Old 12-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Have you tried the shift lock override button? Not sure about 94's, but on my 92 it's on the top left corner of the shift console. Press it and you should be able to get into gear. My car frequently doesn't allow me to come out of park without using it.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
The shift lock was changed on later years, its still there but you have to pop the little oval piece of plastic out and unscrew the philips screw thats down there. I'm not entirely sure if you should try that just yet though.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 12-09-2007, 02:24 PM

I have the plasic cover type. I was able to overide the park lock following the owners manual procedure. But I would like to remove the screwdriver type shift operation now curently being used. Is it posible the ABS system failure would cause the shift lever lock?
Mike
Old 12-09-2007, 03:38 PM

Hey! I found something. I was looking for the ECU module (under the dash, drivers side). I inspected the ABS fuse, OK replaced fuse box cover. Pushed on some cables that are harnessed with connectors at the ECU. I started the SVX the ABS light was went out and I was able to shif out of park. One other note, when the unit was not fuctioning (ABS lit and unable to shift out of park) the security lock un-lock did not operate the horn. Now the horn functions with the key fob lock un-lock.
My concerns as to an intermittent electrical connection remain.
I'll keep at it next weekend and let all know if I find anything interesting.
Mike
Old 12-09-2007, 05:48 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
when your abs light is on is there an electric motor noise coming from under the hood?
Old 12-09-2007, 06:50 PM

Brian,
There is no electric motor noise coming from under the hood. No chattering ABS relay. The problem is related to an intermittent electrical connection at the ECU under the dash.
Mike
Old 12-09-2007, 08:04 PM

When mine didn't want to come out of park, it was loose wires at the box. The brake lights weren't working, and the mechanic said that was why it wouldn't go out of park...its like a safety lock when your brake lights are out .
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)

"You win some, you lose some, you wreak some." Dale Earnhardt
Old 12-13-2009, 02:58 PM

Re: Stuck in Park Going nowhere today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hey! I found something. I was looking for the ECU module (under the dash, drivers side). I inspected the ABS fuse, OK replaced fuse box cover. Pushed on some cables that are harnessed with connectors at the ECU. I started the SVX the ABS light was went out and I was able to shif out of park. One other note, when the unit was not fuctioning (ABS lit and unable to shift out of park) the security lock un-lock did not operate the horn. Now the horn functions with the key fob lock un-lock.
My concerns as to an intermittent electrical connection remain.
I'll keep at it next weekend and let all know if I find anything interesting.
Mike
I found the problem and now need parts to fix it.
My SVX would not shift out of part this week. I took a look at it today. I noted that when the car will not shift out of park the ABS light is on the horn will not beep when key fob is used to lock or unlock and the heater fan does not operate.
With the car running I selected heater fan high mode of operation (fan not running). Carefully I started moving wires under the dash when I noticed a spark at one of the terminals. The fan immediately started to run the ABS light remained on until the car was shut off and then turned back on. The car now shifts out of park and all other mentioned functioned are again operational.
There is a white 6-position rectangular connector just under the fuse panel at the driver side kick panel. The black with red stripe wire is the one that sparked. I pulled the plug and noted the terminal is burnt and melted. I want to replace this 6-position connector assembly.
Does anyone have a clue as to where I can get it or should I after market a repair?
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX Burnt Connector pic 1.jpg (928.9 KB, 236 views)
Old 12-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Registered Loser

Re: Stuck in Park Going nowhere today

Before you go and start replacing wires, you should find out why that happened in the first place (for example, there must have been a short somewhere for that to occur). You should find out where the short was and still possibly is.

If you go ahead and replace this wire without looking into why it burnt. It may just burn again and keep happening, that could burn lengths or wire and even short circuit... for example your fan or your shifter or abs unit.

Jordan.