Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-28-2007, 11:37 PM

Converting to an AWD 5speed

I have an 1994 SVX thats front wheel drive. I recently came across a transmission from a 2002 WRX. Its a five speed and the guy wants 400 bucks for it. There are some issues with 4th gear. It goes into 4th but grinds.

is this a good transmission to use? I can fix the transmission myself... just new to SVX and converting it to a 5speed.

oh.. and Im converting it to AWD...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
tomsvx has done somthing similar to this but with a 6speed. he would be the persome to ask.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 11-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I have an 1994 SVX thats front wheel drive. I recently came across a transmission from a 2002 WRX. Its a five speed and the guy wants 400 bucks for it. There are some issues with 4th gear. It goes into 4th but grinds.

is this a good transmission to use? I can fix the transmission myself... just new to SVX and converting it to a 5speed.

oh.. and Im converting it to AWD...
I seem to remember Tom (TOMSSVX) saying to stay away from the '02 WRX 5 spds. You might want to PM him to confirm.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-29-2007, 12:24 PM

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

I read as much as I could on Tom's write-ups and it looked like the 2002 WRX tranny was a good choice because it fit almost perfectly.
I recently got a '92 with trans or diff issues so I've been researching for the same tranny. Tough to find or spendy.
Here's my question. Does anyone have a master list of compatible transmissions for the SVX? I know Subaru makes their own trannys and I would think Legacy H-6's would be an obvious choice but as far as physical dimensions (not to mention price and outfitting) what works?
5 speed here I come!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
ALL Subaru 5-Speeds from 90-up are basically the same tranny as far as diminsions go (not the Loyal or XT, as those are old school)
So any EJ series 5-speed will bolt right up to the EG33

None of the Legacy's with a H-6 in them came with a manual tranny (in the states anyway)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 11-29-2007, 12:41 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Stay away from the '02 trannies. I forget the specifics but something about some gear teeth being too thin and breaking prematurely
Old 11-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
here are my thoughts on the 02's... Since you are getting a wrx trans I can only assume you are planning to abuse the car every once an a while.... SO, the thin 02 gears tend to break under a lot of pressure. The late 03 and up have wider 1st and second gear (the gear itself not the ratio) which are capable of lasting under more abuse

Tom
Old 11-29-2007, 03:19 PM

It be gone.. the guy sold it.... so no worries now... I am going to do this conversion anyway... so whats the best route to go? Which 5speed works best? most plentiful? cost effective? should i stay with the SVX AWD rear diff or use a different one? This is currently front wheel drive.. after reading I see the rear suspension is a bolt in... SVX to SVX... just wanted to get all my ducks in a row before spending money as a DIY project.

I have welders and tools... so I can fab anything... just need proper direction.
thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 05:30 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
I have the 02 WRX tranny...but I'm older and have NEVER dropped the clutch

I don't view the SVX as a fast car... just the most comfortable, fun, unique, and coolest Subaru EVER!!!

I would agree that the 02 WRX tranny is probably not the best choice of tranny for abuse. My 4th grinds a little when shifting in @ 5000 rpm, so I try not to do that.

Also, I know lots who would argue the other way. Guess it depends on who you talk to. Change the gear lube regularly and you'll be fine either way

As far as the upgrade goes, Read Hucks 5 speed install and you're home free. Lot's of good advice from folks here too. Once it's done, you will love it!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:08 PM

Thanks all....

I just want to better what is already there. Not going to be drag racing it but I do love touring thru the rockies and taking turns.

Right now I am stuck between doing the manual conversion or the high mod automatic like longassname is doing. I am starting to lean more towards the automatic after reading longassname's write up.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37433