How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-23-2007, 11:35 PM

Registered SVX
Patrick,

The resistor or the associated circuit, is in no shape or form involved in a control function in respect of the transmission. In no way is it "responsible for softening shifts by reducing line pressure in the event of a shift," as you suggest.

Please go to my locker and check out the data on Transmission Solenoids:-

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Trevor/43638.htm

You state that a number of problems you experienced, i.e. binding and flare issues, were caused by a “resistor failure.” In what way did the resistor fail or become faulty? Cease to pass current due to being open circuit? Short circuit internally, so as to have zero or reduced resistance? Short circuit to ground?

I contend that in your case the new resistor had no specific affect, and that replacing the TPS, and or adjusting the brake band was the key to your fix. be sure that it is absolutely vital when diagnosing faults, to make only a single adjustment at a time, before observing results. Otherwise all is in doubt.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Trevor-
Manarious asked where Solenoid A is located on the transmission because he already looked at the documentation you have on it and still could not find it. Just a heads up.

And if the resistor "is in no shape or form involved in a control function in respect of the transmission," then why does removing the resistor cause the transmission to shift hard and lose the ability to perform engine braking? Seems to me it must control something in the transmission since without the resistor things bind up and become uncomfortable. Replacing the resistor with a properly functioning one solves these problems.

Honest!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:23 AM

Registered SVX
Nomake,

Solenoid "A" is located within the transmission and comprises part of the valve body assembly. Writing up replacement procedures is a bit beyond my keyboard skills.

Please have a look at the documentation. The resistor is not designed to have a control function as such, but the parallel voltage supplied via the resistor does as a side issue, affect the control of line pressure via solenoid “A”.

If the resistor circuit is broken the line pressure is increased, resulting in harder shifts to be sure. But in effect such a mod. is not a means of control, being in affect a constant modification in respect of the original design parameters. Something not envisaged by the designers, and most certainly not desirable.

By the same token, if a faulty resistor causes an open circuit with the same result, replacing same will return things to normal.

Honestly! Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 10-24-2007 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:23 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
By the same token, if a faulty resistor causes an open circuit with the same result, replacing same will return things to normal.
I am wondering if this is actually the case. Unfortunately, it's supposed to rain all day and that'll kind of put a hamper on my plans (no garage...).
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-24-2007, 11:15 AM
Graphic Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Patrick,

The resistor or the associated circuit, is in no shape or form involved in a control function in respect of the transmission. In no way is it "responsible for softening shifts by reducing line pressure in the event of a shift," as you suggest.

Please go to my locker and check out the data on Transmission Solenoids:-

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Trevor/43638.htm

You state that a number of problems you experienced, i.e. binding and flare issues, were caused by a “resistor failure.” In what way did the resistor fail or become faulty? Cease to pass current due to being open circuit? Short circuit internally, so as to have zero or reduced resistance? Short circuit to ground?

I contend that in your case the new resistor had no specific affect, and that replacing the TPS, and or adjusting the brake band was the key to your fix. be sure that it is absolutely vital when diagnosing faults, to make only a single adjustment at a time, before observing results. Otherwise all is in doubt.
Hi Trevor,
Thanks for setting me straight,

In my case, a brake band adjustment was performed with no effect, then the TPS was set to .5v (from 2.3v), also with no effect, I then swapped the TPS with a new one - no effect. Then replaced the resistor behind the battery. My transmission feels new (it should, it is new)

As I was not scientific in my diagnosis (I did not, for example, revert to the old brake band setting, or go back to my old TPS) I cannot be certain that these other components did not have some small contribution to my problem. However, there was no noticeable impact on my transmissions behavior after each of these steps were completed. And a profound one when I replaced the resistor.

Could you point me to an informative article on the function of the resistor on transmission behaviour? How does it affect shifting abruptness (or lack there of) It is a common modification to remove this resistor to induce firmer shifts, and I can attest that it does just that in a very noticeable way.

Thanks,
Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by nextse7en; 10-24-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextse7en View Post
Hi Trevor,

Could you point me to an informative article on the function of the resistor on transmission behaviour? How does it affect shifting abruptness (or lack there of) It is a common modification to remove this resistor to induce firmer shifts, and I can attest that it does just that in a very noticeable way.

Thanks,
Patrick
Back track in this thread to my post No. 16, click and my explanation should explain all that is involved.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:22 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Removing the resistor will create hard (sometimes jarring) shifts which I can't imagine are good for the transmission and you will lose engine braking in 3rd. Altogether a bad idea.

I thought this would be perfect for an autotranny and the slow shifts just the opposite. I understand we are still in the problem solving mode but honestly, I think if he can make his car shift quicker, it may reduce slippage in between gear shifts. Slippage = heat = Not good for an autotranny (especially a failing one).
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 02-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Driving in Style

Re: Shifting issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextse7en View Post
Hi Trevor,
Thanks for setting me straight,

In my case, a brake band adjustment was performed with no effect, then the TPS was set to .5v (from 2.3v), also with no effect, I then swapped the TPS with a new one - no effect. Then replaced the resistor behind the battery. My transmission feels new (it should, it is new)

As I was not scientific in my diagnosis (I did not, for example, revert to the old brake band setting, or go back to my old TPS) I cannot be certain that these other components did not have some small contribution to my problem. However, there was no noticeable impact on my transmissions behavior after each of these steps were completed. And a profound one when I replaced the resistor.

Thanks,
Patrick
Anyone know what this magical resistor behind the battery looks like?!!? any pictures of it floating around here?

1992 SVX Purple and Black 5 speed swap

SOLD
*1993 SVX Silver and Black
*1994 SVX L Barcelona Red FWD
Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd2649 View Post
Anyone know what this magical resistor behind the battery looks like?!!? any pictures of it floating around here?
If you shine a flashlight on the driver's side of the battery, it'll be pretty obvious.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Driving in Style

on it!,

Edit------------

OK, Is it the 4" long T shaped thing held to the car with 2 bolts and connected to a two wire connector? And why on earth would something effecting the transmission be there :/

So, if I unplug it and my engine flaring between shifts goes away... then I should replace it? I have a donor car with one intact, maybe it works! (update: my "spare" reads 0ohms, so yeah, that aint gonna help me. Hopefully I find the same issue with the one on my daily driver and that is what's causing all my issues)

SOLD

Last edited by sd2649; 02-23-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:06 AM
Driving in Style

I was wondering, has anyone tried using a resistor with a higher ohm rating? like 50ohms or so (stock is around 12-13ohms so I read on the interwebz). I was thinking it MIGHT firm up shifting a bit all the way around????

SOLD

Last edited by sd2649; 02-23-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Driving in Style

I pulled the resistor on my daily driver this morning and it read 0ohms as well. While I had it off, I drove around and sure enough, it shifted super firm on every shift. I will be running by radio shack today to see what I can dig up. Wish me luck!

SOLD
Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Driving in Style

ok, so i started by placing a 50ohm 10watt resistor in there and going for a drive. long story short, i blew a transmission line, yeah, it was pretty hard shifting, lol! after a short walk home and a quick drive in my wifes car to autozone, i slowly drove the svx home. i then put another 50ohm 10 watt resistor in parallel (so, around 25ohms and 20watts) and went off again. i have been driving it this way for about a week now and LOVE it! not too firm or soft. while i was at it, i went ahead and put a power mode switch in too and pretty much leave it on. using cruise control shuts off power mode, so i dont even fiddle with the switch

SOLD