Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Solve my problem & win nothing

While cruising along at any speed, any throttle position, any gear, my car has random, violent hesitations as if something is locking up for a split second. This usually happens after the car is warmed up. I don't think it's a tranny issue, it's been doing this since I first bought it (before the 5mt). It doesn't feel like a misfire like plugs or anything.. more like hitting a deer or something.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:24 PM

My guess would be the MAF. But I'm only guessing.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
I'd second the MAF... but it might also be a tranny temp thing. Hook up a gauge and see for sure.

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to UPnorth362
Im guessing maby a fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, IC Igniter, crank or cam position sensor, or temp sensor. There could also be some corrosion in one of the main engine harnesses. Just a shot in the dark, without being able to see the problem.
IT'S 5:00 SOMEWHERE!!!

92 Liquid Silver SVX LS-L
Old 05-19-2007, 11:55 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
I've replaced the maf sensor twice, and I have a 5mt. Could it be the differential binding up? The front diff on my auto shattered, maybe something is causing them to do so? What can I check?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:28 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
I've replaced the maf sensor twice, and I have a 5mt. Could it be the differential binding up? The front diff on my auto shattered, maybe something is causing them to do so? What can I check?
Please, please, please, provide more exact information. It is impossible to cover the complete spectrum of possibilities.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
If your front diff shattered and the problem your explaining is really that violent of an action, I'd take off the axles and check them to be sure they aren't locking up or grabbing. Are you sure the front wheel bearings are also good?
When this happens, Does it sound like the engine cuts out or just bogs down under the strain of what is happening??
Old 05-20-2007, 02:01 AM
I brought some ham.

It doesn't sound engine related at all. Would wheel bearings do this? I'm starting to hear a noise up front like a small whining that gets louder with speed, but it's been jerking like this even before the sound. Wheel bearings?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:46 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I'd say it's the diff. Please be careful if you are going to continue to drive it. Drain the fluid and see if you find any teeth or a massive amount of shavings. That whining you describe is the beginning of the end. What condition/size are your tires.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-20-2007, 07:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
A wheel bearing generally makes a loud whiring noise at higher speeds, 45mph+. (this is one noise I know very well) I have had them make grumbling noises and had front ones go bad to the point that they make the steering wheel violently go back and forth.

I know the MAF does cause a lot of issues, I am not sure if it causes the issues you are having, but If you are around columbus, you can try the MAF off of my car to see if it is the MAF that is bad before buying a new one.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Ren-Ma Osu

Ricochet, was there something you want to say with regards to the naming of this thread that you want to say to me directly?
Used to have: 1994 Pearlie, 40,945 miles, PWR Radiator, Motorsports Aluminum Crank Pulley, Raceconcepts Stainless Brake Lines, Axxis Ceramic Brake Pads, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Dimpled/Slotted Rotors, BBS STi 17 Silver Wheels, Toyo Proxe4 225/45/17 tires, New Dekka Battery, Unauthordox Racing Oil Cap -- adds 3.14 hp, OEM Coin Holder FFTDS aka Force Field Theft Deterent System. Magnetic oil drain plug, Purolator larger oil filter. Now she's in good caring hands at Earls place.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Hater

ooooh ooooh .... i want to win nothing!

try replacing your cross-drilled brake lines.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-20-2007, 10:43 AM
I brought some ham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSVX94
Ricochet, was there something you want to say with regards to the naming of this thread that you want to say to me directly?

Just a joke man.. since I'm poor now. Nothing against you at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
try replacing your cross-drilled brake lines.
que?
Old 05-20-2007, 03:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
When you have a hesitation like that without a CEL, it's almost always fuel or spark related.

Have you replaced the fuel filter or plugs recently? Checked gap on the plugs?

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 05-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Brian... your car is doing the exact same thing Dan's is... Diagnosis has led only to the ignition switch... I had gotten one for him but he already has one... Do u want me to ship it to u?

Tom