How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2002, 10:24 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: power light

Quote:
Originally posted by strange179
That's funny, whenever I put in the FWD fuse the light comes on immediately. No delay and it doesn't go off until I take out the fuse.
Jay
Yeah, the first time I had to put my FWD fuse in, it lit up immediately and didn't go off 'til I took it out . . . almost 10,000 miles later. (The Legacy of the Legacy tranny lives on)
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-12-2002, 09:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
About a week ago, I got a "test controller" from a generous and trusting member of the Network. Today, I finally got the weather/time to do a swap.

Preliminary tests are indicating that the problem may, indeed, be in the controller and not the duty solenoid.

I swapped the units (the "test unit" is "temporarily installed" with a velcro strap). I went for a test drive and, when backing out of the driveway, there was no "braking" like I had been experiencing. Of course, sometimes, after starting the car after sitting for a while, this symptom went away, only to reappear later. I drove down the road, pulled into a side road, and backed out again. Still no braking (would have usually recurred by now). Took her for a brisk drive around some twisties, pulled into another side road, backed out -- still no braking. Hmmmmm. Drove back home, into the driveway, backed out of the driveway -- still no braking. Pulled up and parked, shut off the engine and re-started it. No flashes of the power light. Probably, a couple of more days with the test unit should tell for sure.

Another thing I noticed with the test unit: my shifts were much smoother, almost indiscernable. The 2-3 shift came much quicker than I've usually experienced and the 1-2 shift was not abrupt (which, normally, it is).

Thanks Beav for the diagnostic and the suggestion to get a test control unit. Thank you (you know who you are) for the test unit. I'd tell you who, but, I don't want him to get inundated with requests .

Like I said, in a couple of days of testing, I should know for sure.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-13-2002, 12:09 AM
Boone

Randy,
Good to hear your plight may be pointed away from the heavy hardware. Be sure to work out that (transfer clutch) tail section. B.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:31 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
Randy,
Good to hear your plight may be pointed away from the heavy hardware. Be sure to work out that (transfer clutch) tail section. B.
I'm discovering better things all the time, Dave. Since I've had the car, I've had a "pulsation" when accelerating, first thing in the morning. I just chalked that up as the "tranny waking up from a sleep." Not so. The replacement TCU has eliminated the "wake up." Also, the smooth shifts and less "hold" on the 2-3, are most welcome. Seems like I've had some "gremlins" all along, in the TCU.

I've given the transfer clutch a chance to puke on me, to no avail, so far. Tried to spin out on wet pavement this morning, but, the SVX would have no part of it. Plenty of torque to the front wheels, but, plenty of grab from the RS-A's kept her from spinning. Perhaps I need to go for a long drive to find some snow.

Testing is still in progress. Usually, if the problem hadn't reared its head by now (it hasn't, no codes this morning after the 40 mile drive to work), it would manifest as I backed out of my parking spot to go to lunch. It's time for lunch now, so, we'll see what happens.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-20-2002, 11:17 PM

Registered SVX
Okay, I just got back from lunch. HA! Just kidding.

A couple of weeks now with the "test" unit, and as you've guessed by now, YES it was the controller. I'm still running the borrowed controller, awaiting its permanent replacement that was shipped today.

If the permanent replacement is anywhere near as good as the temporary one that I've been running, you'll see one happy camper. Not only has the car been running like, what I would suppose a "new" SVX to drive like, but gas mileage has improved. Whereas I was getting around 21 MPG for mixed city/highway driving, I've been getting 24. I'm anxious to see what she gets on pure highway. I've been getting an average of 26 MPG (not bad for an engine with nearly 180K miles) on the highway. Will I finally see the coveted 30MPG mark? We'll see.

Again, many thanks to the many players who saved me from a rental and having to deal with unknowing techs falling all over themselves for god knows how long, looking for the problem. They'd probably never have suspected the controller.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-22-2002, 10:00 AM

Thumbs up a very interesting thread

Glad to hear you seem to have the tranny solution in hand!

In one of your postings you mentioned the good traction you were getting with your "RS-A's"... I presume these are the Goodyears? Standard size 225-50VR16 or 205-55VR16? I've only had mine (new in September) back on for a couple of hundred miles since I removed my studded snows for the winter season. Had good luck with yours? These seem to be considerably quieter than the BFG Comp T/A VR-4's or the OEM Bridgestone's. A hundred bucks each mounted and balanced from good ol' Les Schwab! Let me know your experience, please.

Regards,
Norm
Old 05-22-2002, 12:30 PM

Registered SVX
Re: a very interesting thread

Quote:
Originally posted by STORMINORMAN
Glad to hear you seem to have the tranny solution in hand!

In one of your postings you mentioned the good traction you were getting with your "RS-A's"... I presume these are the Goodyears? Standard size 225-50VR16 or 205-55VR16? I've only had mine (new in September) back on for a couple of hundred miles since I removed my studded snows for the winter season. Had good luck with yours? These seem to be considerably quieter than the BFG Comp T/A VR-4's or the OEM Bridgestone's. A hundred bucks each mounted and balanced from good ol' Les Schwab! Let me know your experience, please.

Regards,
Norm
Norm,
I've been moderatlely pleased with the RS-A's. I only say that because mine cost me 200 each, mounted and balanced. They are aces in the rain. Haven't gotten to try them in snow. They are a bit too noisy on concrete for my tastes, but, all in all, I'd say they're a very good tire. The price you got them for makes them an even better tire. Prior to this, I had Bridgestone RE-910's. I was very happy with them in all respects except for the fact that they were only T-Rated. My next purchase will definitely be Yoko AVS Db's, though. I've just heard too many good things about them.

The RS-A's were the only tire the shop had that would fit (Except for Michelin Pilots with the nasty "plain-jane" tread pattern), and I had to have tires right away, so, I opted for them. The only reason they had them in stock is because they have a contract with the city, and the RS-A's are what they put on the City Police Cruisers.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-22-2002, 01:24 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

RJ Takes a longgggggg lunch

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Okay, I just got back from lunch. HA! Just kidding.

A couple of weeks now with the "test" unit, and as you've guessed by now, YES it was the controller. I'm still running the borrowed controller, awaiting its permanent replacement that was shipped today.

So how much does a TCU cost? Did you buy a new one?

I had not looked at this post in weeks because it was getting so far off topic and I thoughtit just kept going that way It actually has become very on topic again.

Randy, I think it is great you found the problem but this raises a question. I am not sure I want the answer. Can a defective TCU destroy the tansmission? Is it possible for the defective TCU to try and engage two solenoids at the same time and in so doing burn-up a set of clutches? Your description of tranny behavoir shows a lot of different errors.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:56 PM

Registered SVX
Re: RJ Takes a longgggggg lunch

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

So how much does a TCU cost? Did you buy a new one?

I had not looked at this post in weeks because it was getting so far off topic and I thoughtit just kept going that way It actually has become very on topic again.

Randy, I think it is great you found the problem but this raises a question. I am not sure I want the answer. Can a defective TCU destroy the tansmission? Is it possible for the defective TCU to try and engage two solenoids at the same time and in so doing burn-up a set of clutches? Your description of tranny behavoir shows a lot of different errors.
I would think, logically (but, who am I trying to kid), that if the TCU decided to go "wiggy" it could cause some damage. Given that my diagnostics did show errors in both the B and C solenoids, that could be *a bad thing.* However, after my first reading and clearing of the signals, the B solenoid error never showed up again. Perhaps it had been stored earlier. My main concern was the whole FWD light thing. Was it, or was it not engaging FWD? It seemed to have, at the outset, but, why should it let go? I suppose that would be a function of the TCU. However, if your transfer clutch was in distress, and you put in the FWD fuse until you could have th problem remedied, and the TCU didn't hold on to the FWD command, I should think that would not be a good thing either. Just thinking out loud.

At any rate, problem solved . . . I hope.

I have to wonder if the TCU had been zapped when they previous owner put the Legacy tranny in . . . or, if the Tranny shop caused a problem when they rebuilt the Legacy tranny and had to install SVX solenoids (rewiring them to accommodate the Legacy tranny), or, if something happened when they replaced the Legacy tranny with the SVX Tranny --- the mind reels. Like I said, my car has never driven this well since I've had it, so, I'm guessing there were some TCU issues when I first bought the car, and, that some of the issues that the tranny shop couldn't locate (probably the TPS for that matter) were a result of the glitches in the TCU.

At any rate, I'm declaring my tranny problems OVER at this point and look forward to many MORE happy years of driving.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-22-2002, 03:56 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Generally if the line pressure goes high you'll feel it in the seat of your pants (harsh shift.) It has a fail-safe low pressure, I believe.

If the lock-up circuit goes wild the worst that will happen is the car will stall at stops (like forgetting to push the clutch in on a stick.)

The transfer solenoid can create problems for the transfer clutch, however, but as you've seen you should be able to feel it.

As in most cases, the longer you let something go unattended the more it's going to cost to repair. "Youse can pay me now or youse can pay me later."
Old 05-22-2002, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Just checked in on this thread

for the first time. Glad to hear that things are working out for you Aredub! Lord knows you've had your share of transmission problems. I've had mine as well (fifth trans currently in place and functioning within normal operating parameters at this time). I'm not sure if the next step will be a manual trans or a Molotov cocktail! I guess it depends on what the mileage is when the next one goes.

Todd
Old 05-22-2002, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
"Youse can pay me now or youse can pay me later."
But youse doesn't have to call me Randy!!!
Old 05-22-2002, 10:45 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Re: Re: RJ Takes a longgggggg lunch

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

At any rate, I'm declaring my tranny problems OVER at this point and look forward to many MORE happy years of driving.

Alas, Randy; with THAT statement you MUST know you've proclaimed the ultimate SVX jinx upon your pearl steed. I shall light a candle for you in the morning.

Ron (ordering an exorcism in advance) i

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:18 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: RJ Takes a longgggggg lunch

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Alas, Randy; with THAT statement you MUST know you've proclaimed the ultimate SVX jinx upon your pearl steed. I shall light a candle for you in the morning.

Ron (ordering an exorcism in advance) i
I refuse to allow the "demons" to harass me any longer. They have been put on notice. If they bother me again, their arse is . . . grarse? Tempis Fugit, when your having a good time.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-23-2002, 12:15 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Boy, you sure know how to tempt fate, don'tcha?