How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2002, 12:35 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
?? Help! Back tires bald on the inside !!!

I've had this happen on the front tires before.... Toe out ... but toe out on the back tires... did I miss something..(obviously I did!) only have 6000 on what I thought were pretty good tires. Kumho Z rated. From Big O (now that might be big owwwwww)

Any advice? TIA
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 04-12-2002, 01:03 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: ?? Help! Back tires bald on the inside !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi

Any advice? TIA
Uh... what were you looking for?

Do your alignment, make sure they put them in correctly and go get yourself another set of tires. Sorry

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-12-2002, 01:14 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Unhappy What's with the tude?

I obviously knew that it might be an alignment problem. What I was looking for was something out of the ordinary. Like a bushing or a rear diff problem that might have been creeping in on a 92 once in a while.... Ya know everyone can't be all-knowing now can they. What are you doing up so late.... problems with the new (to you)car?
Old 04-12-2002, 09:20 AM
Green1995SVX

This happened to my old, cheap, cooper tires. Front and rear. Randy attributed it to my driving style, but I think it had to do with the allignment, and softness of the rubber compound in the tires.

-Mike
Old 04-12-2002, 10:11 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I had brand new Bridgestone RE 910's on my car when I bought it. Within the first 20K miles, they had all four gone bald on the inside shoulders. It wasn't really detectible until I took it in for a rotation and the tire folks told me they were about to go. Had to get four new tires and a 4-wheel alignment. So far, no problems with my new RS-A's.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-12-2002, 10:14 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: What's with the tude?

Quote:
I obviously knew that it might be an alignment problem. What I was looking for was something out of the ordinary. Like a bushing or a rear diff problem that might have been creeping in on a 92 once in a while.... Ya know everyone can't be all-knowing now can they. What are you doing up so late.... problems with the new (to you)car?
Mitch

Sorry about the previous reply. Chances are your alignment is way out. Differential will not cause this kind of baldness pattern. Differential will screw up your tranny. On the other hand, you might want to make sure that all the tires have the same wear so that it will not further harm your drivetrain.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-12-2002, 06:00 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

do check out the rear bushings. On my RWD car I had the inside of the rear tires wearing really bad and the cause was torn rear bushings.

Matt
Old 04-12-2002, 10:37 PM

I just bought a 96 and noticed they had potenzas on the rear and pilots on the front. Further investigation revealed a badly worn pillow ball bushing on the rear lateral link. I think I was just so happy to find a 96 LSi that i didnt even notice the tires. These cars are also so low to the ground you cant really look under them without lifting. Oh well. My theory is that they damaged the bushing which then damaged the tires. That particular wheel has a nasty scrape. Just came in from the garage after replacing both pillow ball bushings. Tires and alignment will follow. Lift your rear tires off the ground and give them a good shake.If there is no play, alignment would be suspect. Good luck, BillC
Old 04-12-2002, 11:35 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Wink Thank you all! I knew I could count on you!

The thread is showing and I've gone to driving the old 87 until I can get the new tires...and alignment. I'll check the bushings myself while THEY have it up on the rack, as the place I live now will not allow any work on cars in the parking lot or car ports....... I think if I'm going to keep this car, I'll have to move.

Matt! good to hear from you again ... It's been a while ... how's the ski rack holding up????

Seraph, no problem, I was up late last night and maybe a little cranky about both the tires and the girlfriend. "YOU SPEND TOO MUCH TIME THINKING ABOUT CARS!!!! "Don't worry about the tires, Worry about me!"

I wanted to say that if she gave me a ride like the SVX I'd spend a lot more time with her.......... But I wanted to live....
Old 04-15-2002, 09:13 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Hey Mitch,

My ski rack is now a bike rack. Thanks for asking. Let me know if it turns out to be the bushings. I bought my tires from America's Tires in Santa Clara a few months ago. I called about 10 different places and they had the best price for what I wanted. You might want to include them on your list. Tire Rack is another good option, but then you have to factor in the mounting costs on top of what you pay for the tires.

At least your girlfriend is listening when you are talking about tires. My girlfriend's eyes just glaze over and all goes quiet. Not that I'm complaining.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 04-15-2002, 11:24 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Y'all actually talk to your women? Hmmm....I may have to try that someday...

Cop to DWI suspect: "Your eyes are red and squinty, have you been drinking?
Driver: "Your eyes look glazed, have you been eating doughnuts?"
Old 04-16-2002, 05:39 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Angry &*^%*&^&*(&^%%$$#@!@!!!!!!!

Found out why the tires went bald so fast! Some o$%#%$#%$^ of a #@#%#@##%$$^%$^ bent the rear link assembly ... probably by towing with two hooks... both are bent back in the same place. More later when I cool down!
Old 04-16-2002, 07:51 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I'm assuming the car had a previous owner. They may have done some not-so-normal driving and got stuck someplace requiring a tow truck to get them out. I'm sure they would latch on to anything metal without thought.

A previous owner/garage pushed mine with another vehicle. I know this because of the two indents in my rear bumper.....from the license plate screws. I have since repainted that bumper.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:17 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: &*^%*&^&*(&^%%$$#@!@!!!!!!!

Quote:
Found out why the tires went bald so fast! Some o$%#%$#%$^ of a #@#%#@##%$$^%$^ bent the rear link assembly ... probably by towing with two hooks... both are bent back in the same place. More later when I cool down!
That's not unusual, I've got a left rear rear lateral link waiting in my box to be installed on a 626 Saturday. Wreckers are the main cause. It doesn't have to be from being stuck in mud, etc.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:02 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Exclamation it just came to me!

When I got the car the FWD fuse was in. I should have checked for damage at that point. They must have towed the car from the back with the fuse in to "protect" something...... (idiots!!! )Now between the radiator, the ac, the suspension, and the tires. I'm into my 5000 dollar car 2200 dollars more. I love my car!