Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 04-13-2006, 09:30 PM

Registered SVX
Intro and questions

Hi guys,

I've just signed up today...I don't have an SVX yet, but am seriuosly thinking about one.

However...there's a catch, because I want to see if I can get one going as a rally car...I reckon there's some potential with 300hp, AWD, and Subaru swapability (read WRX parts). And did I mention unique?

However...weight is obviously the major factor.

So, before I pop this over on the main forum (where I confess, not many of the US are up to Aussie ingenuity) to ask these questions...I'll fire them up here:
  1. Weight - what could I get it down to if I remove almost everything? ABS, complete interior, AC system, stereo's blah blah...only need a dash, roll cage and race seats? I see on the US bits they talk about 2500lbs...I'm thinking 1300kg
  2. Suspension - there's some confusion about whether WRX bits fit...seems not, but has anybody tried?
  3. Brakes - assume that WRX brakes can be fitted with ease? I'm thinking of normal 4 piston and 2 piston STi setup
  4. 6-speed - DCCD would be mandatory, I read a few posts about conversions - some say new shafts, otehrs say only a tailshaft. Are the shafts on the standard SVX interchangeable with WRX/Liberty?
  5. Engine mods - has anybody seen any cams done for them? I wouldn't be allowed to change the manifolds, so can only up the compression, hi-flow the heads, new cams and an exhaust...

Thanks,
Matt
Old 04-14-2006, 12:53 AM

Registered SVX
OK...so I posted a little prematurely (my wife hates that).

Cams are available, but consensus is that 8mm lift is max due to interference problems. However, 37mm in a 96mm bore tells me you might be able to squeeze some bigger ones in there?

Also...DCCD is not mandatory...6 speed will be, but I'd be happy with the default 35/65 torque split.

Re the suspension and brakes thing...I'm wondering if anybody has considered swapping a complete WRX hub and strut combination...gives you the WRX brakes, whilst also allowing WRX suspension to be used. Problems that I can sense are that the sway bar mounts are different and would need fabbing.

M
Old 04-14-2006, 06:29 AM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
Hi and welcome

Im perdy sure wrx struts and springs are differnt in dimentions to the svx,

- Know one in aus (as far as i know), has cams done, or flowed the heads nor has done a 6 spd convertion, there are three 5 speeds that i know of'

-check http://www.pms.net.au/ (see if you can get any info from these guys regarding the eg33)

- There is a rally svx in the states

- The eg33 is 230 hp, 169 kw

Good luck with your project keep us all posted on your progress

cheers,
Jake

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 04-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Mr Soob

To be brutally honest, you'd be pushing it to convert an SVX to a rally car, and yes - weight is the problem. But I'm not going to try to discourage it! You'll also find a lot of weight is in the glass as well - those windows aren't light. Replacing those with something lighter (Lexan, I guess) will help. Fibreglass bonnet, maybe some guard work, and stripping out the interior will save a lot, but you've still got a body that was designed for comfort sitting up on bricks and you can't really do anything to that. The hardest thing would be getting an accurate estimate of the dry weight once you start stripping. As JJ pointed out, there is the race car they made in the states (which is still coming along as a project), and they'd be your best bet to see what exactly can be removed/done.

I'd say you'll still have a kick-butt rally car, but those little light four-bangers are likely to edge you out on an annoyingly regular basis. Best of luck though, and keep us posted on your developments.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 04-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Ben and I have a 92 that is fairly well gutted weighing in at about 2700. We still have an auto box, so you could deduct about 100 if you use a 5 speed, but I've been told that the 6 speed weighs about the same as an auto.

We still have all the non-moveable glass in place, with plans to replace it with Lexan/plexi in the future.

We have maintained SVX front struts with Koni inserts and H&R springs from an Impreza. The main obstical with finding alternates for the front is that the sway bar attaches to the front tube. If you can weld a mounting point to another strut or develop an alternate sway bar set up, you'd be golden. In the rear we did some modifications to allow the fitment of Impreza stuts in place with H&R springs and the SVX top mounts.

SVXfiles has developed a big brake kit that I got to try out the other day. Very impressive, contact him about that. I'll be looking into it for the racer soon...

Frame wise, we haven't started trimming anything structural yet. We are waiting for the installation on the cage. We also hope to get one of the fiberglass racing hoods as soon as finances allow. With the hood, and replacement of the glass, we should be close to 2500.

There is a link to the racer in my signature.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:16 PM

Registered SVX
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses...I'll obviously have to change my profile to have emails set when replies are posted...

Power output of 300hp under our rules seems achieveable (more depending on how big my wallet is)...that automatically puts me in front of the other 4 bangers in my class (WRX's and Mitsubishi Evo's). They are hitting about 250 (because of restrictors in place to prevent more than 300bhp) but still weigh in about 1300kg's or more...based on Hocrests very encouraging post, their SVX is 2700lbs (1220kg) to which you'd have to add a cage back in (about 50kg)...so that's in the ball park??? As far as I can tell.

Suspension...I need to get underneath and measure some arms. If they are the same length and WRX stuff, then I can't see why the whole WRX corner can't be slotted in...then adapt the sway bar to suit.

Still early stages...

Somebody posted the weights of the glass...said it wasn't too bad (heavy but not too bad).

Thanks guys...I'll keep you posted.

Matt
Old 04-15-2006, 01:47 AM

I would suggest that you will find the SVX will take the punishment of rally far better then the WRX I have driven mine in the dessert of Australia were it hasn't seen tar for over 6,000k, I have totaled tires and rims on rocks at speed, have hit Roo's at 140kph and the car has taken the lot and asked for more. The biggest challange I have to deal with is the ground clearance which I think has been solved for me by Mychalio in the USA he is sending me special struts that have harder springs higher ground clearance plus proper rally set up. You could talk to him as he could help you with the suspeneion. I may be wrong but I think the SVX has a longer wheel base and you will find it more stable then a WRX which might mean you can't throw it around like you can a WRX but it is harder to get into trouble. If I was you I wouldn't be in to much of a rush to change the suspension to a WRX I think you will find the SVX is tougher. One thing you will have to change is the rear wheel bearing because then won't stand the strain as they are.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:35 AM

Registered SVX
Tony...cheers for the response. In rallying, I'd be going for a 50mm strut diameter...regardless of which car it's made for, this stuff is streets ahead of whatever anybody makes. It's expensive though...about $5kAUD or more for a full set. The reason I'm keen for WRX swapability is due to the WRX stuff being for sale all the time...common as dogs balls...to make special SVX stuff would be around $8K AUD plus...(maybe $12k)

M
Old 04-15-2006, 06:43 PM

I have sent you a email with some of the detail on it Mychalio and some of the other would be able to tell you exactly what parts are interchangiable with the WRX. Did you check the wheel base to see if they are the same, with bune buggies I think they like the longer wheel base to help the buggy stay straight as the closes the two get to each other the more likly the vehicle is to spin.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: