Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-24-2005, 11:18 AM

Changing Front CV Joints: question about oil seal inside x-fer case...

Guys,
I recently changed front CV Joints on both mine and my Dad's SVX. My car's been running good, however my Dad's SVX has started making noises during turns shortly after, so I took the CV Joints out of the car and brought them to be rebuilt once again (they had warranty).

Today I went to put them back together and I noticed that on the Transfer Case hole where you push the CV Joint there was a small spring hanging, so I realized that the Oil Seal inside the hole was bad.

I went ahead and managed to remove the oil seal, but only when I went to put the new one back in place I realized to my horror that the oil seal is supposed to be replaced from the inside. So now I find myself looking at this pretty picture wondering whether there's a way for me to remove that round toothed section without taking the transfer case down so I could install the new oil seal.

The side I photographed is the one with the original oil seal still intact. I couldn't take a decent picture on the side where I'm actually working on, but for the purpose of this thread it's the same thing.

I would immensely appreciate if you could give me advice on the quickest and most effective way to install the oil seal under that lip. Worst case scenario, I may have to tow it to a mechanic, but if I could resolve this on my own it would be great.

Thank you in advance!

Walter
1999 Ducati 748S (built 996 engine)

Last edited by Treppiede; 07-24-2005 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppiede
Guys,
I recently changed front CV Joints on both mine and my Dad's SVX. My car's been running good, however my Dad's SVX has started making noises during turns shortly after, so I took the CV Joints out of the car and brought them to be rebuilt once again (they had warranty).

Today I went to put them back together and I noticed that on the Transfer Case hole where you push the CV Joint there was a small spring hanging, so I realized that the Oil Seal inside the hole was bad.

I went ahead and managed to remove the oil seal, but only when I went to put the new one back in place I realized to my horror that the oil seal is supposed to be replaced from the inside. So now I find myself looking at this pretty picture wondering whether there's a way for me to remove that round toothed section without taking the transfer case down so I could install the new oil seal.

The side I photographed is the one with the original oil seal still intact. I couldn't take a decent picture on the side where I'm actually working on, but for the purpose of this thread it's the same thing.

I would immensely appreciate if you could give me advice on the quickest and most effective way to install the oil seal under that lip. Worst case scenario, I may have to tow it to a mechanic, but if I could resolve this on my own it would be great.

Thank you in advance!

Walter
I was hoping that somebody that has done it would reply first Walter. I have looked at the book, and the toothed piece is the differential side bearing carrier. It unscrews and contains the seal and tapered roller bearing.

I reckon that you could mark the position of the piece first, so that you can tighten it back up to the same position( it preloads the diff carrier bearings) unscrew the piece, the bearing outer will be in the piece, the inner race should stay on the diff. Remove the bearing outer to replace the seal, refit the outer race track, fit a new rubber O ring and screw the piece back in till the marks you made line up again.
All the best.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.