How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-27-2001, 10:34 AM
Green1995SVX

Binding - Tires - OK?

I've been having a problem with binding in turns for a good 1-2 months now. The transmission shop cant figure out whats causing it. The took apart the transmission and replaced solanoid C as well as some sort of clutches that have to to with awd. This did not solve the problem. The car now sits at home because i wasnt sure if it was reliable enough in that condition to get me back to school (300 miles away.) I have been reading that tredwear differances between the front and rear could be causeing this problem. when this started, my front tires were VERY worn, and the back tires had about 60% tred on them. I rotated the rear tires to the front and front to back. This made the problem get somewhat better. When the car is in FWD mode, there is no problem whatsoever. It goes away completely.

Is it the tires? (sometimes the simplest explination is the best one eh?)

-Mike
Old 11-27-2001, 01:47 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Lookat my solution
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=1968

Mine went away after an external filter change and a new cooler. It makes little sense, but it worked. 3 weeks later and still zero binding.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 11-27-2001, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Doug,

Whose filter and cooler did you use? I have been looking at the stuff from Summit Racing (B&M) which seems to be popular here. Do you like/dislike what you purchased and installed? Would you recommend them to someone else?

Thanks
Todd
Old 11-27-2001, 02:37 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Subaru TSB #16-58-94, reads i part:

4. Transfer Clutch Driven Plates (Metal) and Seal Rings - Refer to Figure 4
Modified Clutch Driven Plates (P/N 31589AA041) were installed to reduce rear axle binding starting with transmission number 389607. Additionally, new style Oil Seals (P/N 31377AA131) have been installed on the transfer clutch output shaft. These updated seals are black in color with a "notched" design on their inner diameter and are cut diagonally on the ends. The purpose for the change was to reduce the chance of these seals rotating in their grooves and cutting into the rear extension housing.

If you experience a case of rear axle binding on turns, with a transmission that has the updated transfer clutch driven plates, it is recommended that you install another set of the updated driven plates. After installing these new driven plates, it will be necessary to drive the vehicle in several figure 8's to break them in. As always, the first thing to check when diagnosing an AWD binding complaint is tire size. All tires must be of the same size and brand name.

Also, major differences in the tire wear patterns between front and rear, can cause binding in tight turns.

Beav
Old 11-27-2001, 02:52 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<Whose filter and cooler did you use?>>
I used the stock Subaru campaign filter and the B&M 24,000lb cooler. The cooler is installed between the fans and the crank and seems to be stable. I also replaced the rubber hoses from the metal lines forward.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 11-27-2001, 06:08 PM
Green1995SVX

Well, im gonna bite the bullet. I'm having four new tires put on the car tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.

-Mike
Old 11-27-2001, 10:48 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Well, im gonna bite the bullet. I'm having four new tires put on the car tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.

-Mike

Good luck, Mike. On my way home tonight, my car began "steering funny." I said to myself, "If I didn' know better you'd think I have a . . ." Well, I did. A freakin' flat tire. Yes, that's one of my 200.00 tires (1/4 of 800.00). Must be a pretty good hole too. I aired it up about 30 miles from home (with my trusty air compressor that I keep in the trunk) and it has already lost half the air, since I've been home. It had better be repairable, or, I'll just stick a screw in it like Mummert and keep on going.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-28-2001, 04:48 PM
Green1995SVX

A little update...

I called my transmission shop (where i had an apointment today to have my situation addressed) and let them know that I was going to replace the tires before i brought it in. I explained the situation, and faxed them the infor that beav posted. He said that before i went out and spent the money on tires, to bring the car in so he could take apart the transmission one more time and replace everything he didnt replace before. Just to make sure its all good.
So im basically getting a complete rebuild (AGAIN!) at no charge. My shop, Hershey Brothers Transmissions in Lancaster, PA, has had EXCELENT customer service reguarding my transmission issues. John there has been very willing to work with me to solve any problems, even though my car is nearly 4,000 miles out of their warrenty now.
I am, however, excited about the prospect of getting my car back in working condition. I must admit the GrandCherokee i'm driving now doesnt give me the pleasure that the SVX does.
Old 11-28-2001, 04:50 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Good luck, Mike. On my way home tonight, my car began "steering funny." I said to myself, "If I didn' know better you'd think I have a . . ." Well, I did. A freakin' flat tire. Yes, that's one of my 200.00 tires (1/4 of 800.00). Must be a pretty good hole too. I aired it up about 30 miles from home (with my trusty air compressor that I keep in the trunk) and it has already lost half the air, since I've been home. It had better be repairable, or, I'll just stick a screw in it like Mummert and keep on going.
Yikes randy. a friend of mine was helping me wax my car over the summer and noticed a HUGE screw in my tire. I imeadiatly took it to a local tire shop and got it patched on the inside... It's all better and holding fine, but what an upsetting expierance! I almost cry when i know my little girl is hurting. Especially when she has a screw stuck in her foot! OUCH!
Old 11-29-2001, 12:07 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Well, I went out this morning, it was pouring rain, and I expected to have to get soaked while I ran my little air compressor to fill the tire to take it to the shop for repair. The tire was still up. It sat all day today and lost little, if any air. Could it be these strange temperature shifts that caused my flat tire . . . only on ONE tire. I am vexed. We'll see what the morning brings.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI