Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 01:02 PM
A flight-less flyer

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingkiwi
ECUTune Stage 1 for JDM spec cars..

Gidday ladies and gents

I'm interested in having a look at this stage 1 mod for our JDM spec cars down under, and wrote to the guys at ECUTune after a bit of info. This is what they said:

"Unfortunately we have no familiarity with the JDM software. The tuning is very likely different as it seems the US market car was detuned from the tuning of the prototypes in order to get better emissions scores. The person in Australia using stage one is getting a trouble code which seems to either be due to a difference in one of the sensors or he damaged his ECU while working on it. Since the tuning of your JDM model is most likely different I wouldnt advise trying to use Stage One. If you are interested in Stage Two then there is of course more reason to try; you should, however, be aware of the possibility there will be an incompatibility in the software."

I might have an extra SVX soon so I might be able to try it. Does anyone have any info/thoughts on this subject??

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 08-13-2004, 11:41 PM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
When Paulie installed the Stage One ROM into his ECU, and triggered a Check Engine light, my first thought was that the USDM and JDM ECUs are either physically different, or use different engine management software.

Now, it seems that this could indeed be the case.

I can understand why the USDM ECU was "detuned" to run a much leaner Air/Fuel ratio, as this would have a direct impact on the exhaust emission levels (Carbon Monoxide in particular).

From what I understand, US exhaust emission standards (California in particular) are amongst the most stringent in the world!

Paulie, (if you are around!), did you remove the Stage One ROM from your ECU to see if the Check Engine light switched off?

After reading this - I don't think that I will be modifying any part of my engine management system!

.......If it ain't broke........don't fix it!

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 08-15-2004, 01:25 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Quote:
Just having a think, shouldn't that be;

EG33 x 4EAT
. VTD AWD = SVX

Arthur.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 08-15-2004, 03:48 AM

Don't know how different the performance of the JDM is to the USDM based off the ECU, but would it (maybe) be worth it to buy an USDM ECU (off ebay or something) to install in your cars with the Stage 1 chip??? If it didn't do what you want (or hoped for)
you'd probably be able to sell the ECU and chip together or seperatly on ebay or here to a US owner.......Just a thought
Old 08-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Peach

octane

Hello gents and gals, could'nt help but wonder "since I live half a planet away" what octane do you get to burn down under? I've heard wild rumours that you can find high octane in europe and in the lands down under. heard that the gas is so good the cars run much better, any truth to this? Here in Washington state the best we can get is 92 octane, and that has 10% ethanol in it. Thanks for any reply.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:20 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Re: octane

Quote:
Originally posted by Peach
Here in Washington state the best we can get is 92 octane, and that has 10% ethanol in it. Thanks for any reply.
Wow - I didn't realise how lucky we are in Australia!

98 Octane Premium Unleaded fuel is widely available throughout Sydney, and from what I understand, none of our 98 octane fuels are blended with ethanol!

...............of course, we pay (on average) twice what you pay for fuel!

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

Old 08-20-2004, 11:41 AM
A flight-less flyer

in NZ..

We have 98 Premium unleaded and 91 ?? unleaded everywhere here (Actually I'm not sure about the 91, I've been overseas for a while). As far as I know there are no additives along the alcohol line - however when the 98 first came out it had (and still has) some nasty additives that like to eat rubber (especially from old british cars) but I believe this problem has been sorted out.

Regarding the stage one mod, I would assume that only the code in the ECU is different right? I mean we all have the same sensors and the engine is the same, so one would expect an easy swap from Japan code ----> US (modified) code??????

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 08-22-2004, 09:46 AM
MisanthropyV

Well my car is back on the road after buying a $1626 radiator from subaru (what a joke huh?).

Anyways...The stage 1 ECU rom from ECUtune...

Well, when the rom is installed, a check engine light comes on. This is to do with the atmospheric presure sensor (code 45). I have been meaning to remove the ROM and re-solder the resistor that was removed from the ECU back on, but I can't find my soldering iron. This will determine whether it's the ECU Rom sending the error signal or not. I'll do that soon though. As far as I can tell though, the check engine light is ONLY because the ECU rom is installed.

Now, on to the subject whether it's worth $300AU. There are pro's and con's to having the ECU rom. The pro's are a marginal increase in power. You will notice a little more response in the low end revs, but that's about it. Also remember that I installed a dual exhaust system slightly after installing the ROM, before the ECU had completely re-learnt the new Codes, so I'm not entirely sure on how much improvement the ECU rom gives.

Yes, it is worth $300AU if you have $300 to spend, but my suggestion is to make modifications elseware if you are after more power, and haven't done so already. Remember, you have to put up with that annoying 'check engine' light the whole time...

Any questions about the ROM or anything, you can email me at MisanthropyV@yahoo.com

P.S. I hope we're all doing good. Sorry for neglecting the forum for a month or so...

Last edited by MisanthropyV; 08-22-2004 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:41 AM
A flight-less flyer

Would be nice to see if you could get that check engine light to go away........Do you think anything went wrong when you put it in??

Also I'm interested in the details of your dual exhaust (and how much more vrroomm you get!!!!)

Cheers
Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 08-27-2004, 01:25 AM
A flight-less flyer

bumpity bump........

Just Crusin'
Old 08-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by Rotorflyr
Don't know how different the performance of the JDM is to the USDM based off the ECU, but would it (maybe) be worth it to buy an USDM ECU (off ebay or something) to install in your cars with the Stage 1 chip??? If it didn't do what you want (or hoped for)
you'd probably be able to sell the ECU and chip together or seperatly on ebay or here to a US owner.......Just a thought
Good thinking there,

That could be one of the benefits of being in a world wide organization like this. I don't see why more members don't trade parts overseas. Putting in a US ECU like you are suggesting would most likely work if there is in fact an incompatability. Just driving around with a check engine light on isn't an option since it means the data it's getting from the sensor is not within the limits of what the software expects. Unless the atmospheric pressure in Australia is just severely different than anywhere in the US (which i doubt since we have from 0' elevation to thousands) then the sensor used in the aussie ecu is calibrated differently or his ecu is damaged. I told Misanthropy how to read the trouble codes and have been trying to work out with him what's going on but I've been waiting a long time now for MisanthropyV to put the resistor back in so we can determine if the software is in fact causing the #45 trouble code or if his ecu is damaged. That's the only way to figure out what's going on without someone sending me an aussie ecu to test. Anyone want to lend him their soldering iron? (For those wondering I did offer to accept for return his Stage I; he doesn't seem to want to give it up though).

It seems likely the Ausie cars aren't tuned so lean to begin with so how much improvement can be gained with Stage I for an Aussie car is debateable. Now Stage II is a completely different story since it brings you up to around 400 crank horsepower. I've been wanting the glass headlights which SVX's have in Germany and apparantly some Aussie SVX's have too so let me throw this out there. I'll trade a US SVX ecu with Stage II installed and the matching jets for a set of glass headlights.

In case anyone who might consider this isn't familiar with Stage II go to our website at http://www.ecutune.com/svx-stage2.htm

Installation instructions, a faq, hp and afr plots, etc are all posted there so you will have a very good idea what you are getting into and can expect to get out of it.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:16 AM
A flight-less flyer

yes michael, I'm inclined to agree there. Would be nice to get MisanthropyV to see if he can completely reverse the switch though. I will have to see what the price of USM ECU's are (or get a spare ECU to send to you guys??)

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 08-31-2004, 04:27 AM
A flight-less flyer

The ECU monitor that you blokes are working on would be an interesting experiment along these lines too - monitoring the AFR to see what is happening between you and us. I'll be buying one of those when available!

Look, I'm in Italy at present but when I get back home I'll see if I can get a JDM ECU to send to you.

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 10-02-2004, 08:13 AM
A flight-less flyer

What about the guys in Europe..

Have any of you tried the ECU stage 1??
MisanthropyV, any more luck mate??

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 10-21-2004, 08:00 PM
MisanthropyV

ahhhhh. Awake from my slumber.

Sorry guys, I have been without the net for quite some time now, and have alot of catching up to do.

Well, I removed the ECU rom and the check engine light did go away, so i guess it's what longasname said; the ROM is sending an invalid signal to the ECU.

Longassname, sorry for the long time no hear. unavoidable I'm afraid...
Any suggestions on what to do?

P.S. no damage to the ECU. The car's back to not accelerating as fast...

Paulie (Time for a cruise???)