Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-13-2004, 10:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bizarre Send a message via Yahoo to Bizarre Send a message via Skype™ to Bizarre
Water Pump, Pulley, Crank & Cam seals

Hey team,

Since I am not mechanically astute enough to do it myself I am having a Subaru dealership (oh boy) in Delaware do the following for me:

replace water pump
replace pulley (one is bad)
replace cam and crank seals (should be done at 90K even though I am at 80K)

Dealership quotes:
water pump at $129
pulley at $179 (ouch)
cam & crank seals $32
labor $85 per hour x 5.5 = $450
Total = $790

Let me know your opinions on whether or not I am paying too much.

Biz

"In times of peace, a gentleman keeps his sword at his side." Sun Tzu c 300 b.c.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:17 AM

I dont know about the SVX but for a 1 gen legacy i can get a water pump for $40, and a idler pullie for $40 or less and the cam and crank seals are a couple of bucks each.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:31 AM

That quote is some $350 more than I paid to have the same work done, parts and labor, with the timing belt replaced instead of a pulley. That said, my mechanic is is proprietor of a small garage in a rural, north Georgia town. Even if there were a Subaru dealership nearby, I'd prefer to do business with a small, locally-owned shop any day.

I don't recall all the specifics, but do remember the cost of the (reman) water pump: $42.

If your timing belt is original, I'd suggest having it replaced when the other work is done.

dcb
Old 07-13-2004, 11:53 AM
red95svx

These prices are on par with OE parts. Labor seems about right too.

Why "should" your crank and cam seals be replaced at 90k? If they aren't leaking, you don't need to replace them!

SVXsubaru1, we aren't talking about a first gen Legacy. Tons of those were built and parts are easy to come by. We're also not talking about aftermarket or reman parts. And the pulley he mentions may be a crank pulley, not an idler.

Dave
Old 07-13-2004, 12:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bizarre Send a message via Yahoo to Bizarre Send a message via Skype™ to Bizarre
Thanks Red.

I had read about the crank and cam seals in another post.
Some guy said swapping out at 90K was recommeded.
Maybe it's not.

It is only $32 and since they are already inside the timing belt housing messing around I figured what the hey.

Adrian

"In times of peace, a gentleman keeps his sword at his side." Sun Tzu c 300 b.c.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:27 PM
red95svx

A lot of people have different views on maintenance. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have the seals replaced since he's in there already.......but I wouldn't go around changing seals just based on mileage.

Dave
Old 07-13-2004, 12:33 PM

Let me back up and say that I don't mean to disparage Subaru dealerships nor advise against the use of Suby parts. Usually it's a matter of simple economics. And, when I hand-over a buck, I'd rather it be to a guy who will fold it with an appreciative nod and stuff it into his pocket.

dcb
Old 07-13-2004, 01:32 PM
deruvian

I'm not sure what the average cost for all this should be at a dealership (I did the work myself), but I can tell you that $129 for a water pump is quite steep. Take a look at water pumps on subaruparts.com. I think I got mine for around $80 - $90. New.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx

SVXsubaru1, we aren't talking about a first gen Legacy. Tons of those were built and parts are easy to come by. We're also not talking about aftermarket or reman parts. And the pulley he mentions may be a crank pulley, not an idler.

Dave
I just said that becasue the parts are pretty similar, those were prices for new, and the companies i use are sube supliers. Even if it was aftermarket Dealership sube parts are rip offs. You can get a part for as good or better quality for usally less than half the price.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 07-13-2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:54 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by svxsubaru1

I just said that becasue the parts are pretty similar, those were prices for new, and the companies i use are sube supliers. Even if it was aftermarket Dealership sube parts are rip offs. You can get a part for as good or better quality for usally less than half the price.

1) The Legacy and SVX parts are similar, but not the same.

2) Chances are the companies you use are not Subaru suppliers.

3) I worked for aftermarket companies for years and although SOME of our stuff wasn't bad, the vast majority of it was far inferior to genuine parts (be it Chevy, Ford, or Subaru). In my experience, most of our customers shopped at our store for a "cheap #ss" fix for their car so they can sell it. Our "Lifetime Warranty" mufflers were good for about a year. Our "Lifetime Warranty" brake pads were good for about 8 months. Our domestic reman alternators were so poorly built that they were almost guaranteed to leave you stranded somewhere. Sure, you could get free replacements....but you still had to replace the part yourself, or pay someone else to do it. Do you want to pay someone every 8 months to replace your $20 pads? I don't. I 'd rather pay more for a good set of pads and not worry about them for the next couple of years.

Like I said, some of our stuff wasn't bad. We did sell name-brand wheel bearings and belts, and our foreign reman alternators were very good. But that was about it.

Cheap parts are not always the best way to save money in the long run.....esp. when you consider towing bills from dead alternators or repeat installation fees for fast-wearing cheap brakes.

Just my two cents from my years in the parts business. Feel free to disagree I must end my rant now so I can watch "Finding Nemo". I hear it's funny.

Dave

Genuine Subaru Reman Parts (axles, starters, alternators, calipers) I have had to do a warranty claim on in the past three years: 0
Old 07-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Parts Hook-Up

Parts

Usually crank and cam seals are done with a timing belt replacement. With the water pump you should also do a new thermostat and gasket since it is right up against it. Here are some discounted parts prices for you.

Water Pump - $86.62
Water Pump Gasket - $2.04
Thermostat - $9.80
Thermo Gasket - $2.66
Cam Seals - $6.42/ea
Crank Seal - $5.74

If you let me know what pulley you need I could give you the price for that also.

Perhaps if you told the dealership you are getting the work at that you can get the hook-up on parts they may try to cut a deal with you. You can always buy the parts yourself and bring them in.

Jackie
Wilkins Subaru
410-689-8061
subparts@wilkinsautomotive.com
Old 07-14-2004, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx

2) Chances are the companies you use are not Subaru suppliers.

3) I worked for aftermarket companies for years and although SOME of our stuff wasn't bad, the vast majority of it was far inferior to genuine parts (be it Chevy, Ford, or Subaru). In my experience, most of our customers shopped at our store for a "cheap #ss" fix for their car so they can sell it. Our "Lifetime Warranty" mufflers were good for about a year. Our "Lifetime Warranty" brake pads were good for about 8 months. Our domestic reman alternators were so poorly built that they were almost guaranteed to leave you stranded somewhere. Sure, you could get free replacements....but you still had to replace the part yourself, or pay someone else to do it. Do you want to pay someone every 8 months to replace your $20 pads? I don't. I 'd rather pay more for a good set of pads and not worry about them for the next couple of years.

Like I said, some of our stuff wasn't bad. We did sell name-brand wheel bearings and belts, and our foreign reman alternators were very good. But that was about it.

Cheap parts are not always the best way to save money in the long run.....esp. when you consider towing bills from dead alternators or repeat installation fees for fast-wearing cheap brakes.

Just my two cents from my years in the parts business. Feel free to disagree I must end my rant now so I can watch "Finding Nemo". I hear it's funny.

Dave

Genuine Subaru Reman Parts (axles, starters, alternators, calipers) I have had to do a warranty claim on in the past three years: 0
I know alot of aftermarket stuff is not made with high quality as a priority, but the parts guy i buy from has been using certain suppliers for longer than i have been born in some circumstances. He only buys the best quality parts, if he gets complaints he stops using the supplier, or parts company. Alot of his bussness is run on his reputation he doesent own a giant Napa like network of stores that buys parts at the lowest price, he really dosent make a huge amount of money money from his parts either, alot more is made from his machine shop which does a great job.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:04 PM

Man am I tired of being right.

Man am I tired of being right. I knew these guys would screw up my car. Deliberately or accidently.

Got the SVX back today after replacing h2o pump, crank/cam seals, and a pulley.

Now I get a very light rythmic ba-bump ba-bump low frequency sound coming from the engine. At idle or at idle in neutral I can feel it lightly thru the shifter.

Popped the hood and the alternator is whining like crazy. ALT is two weeks old (very new). I'm thinking belts are too tight. But would that cause a low bass drum section to join the SVX symphony under my hood?

Good thing was a friend works there and I got a free loaner, while they take another crack at it.

Anyone else have this light two beat rhythm coming from their SVX?

Adrian

Old 07-14-2004, 10:14 PM

check

check the power steering mount, maybe they forgot to tighten it up. didt you go to Matt Slap to have the service done? in new castel?
Old 07-15-2004, 07:09 AM
red95svx

Finding Nemo was funny!

I have a new water pump for $72 if anyone is interested. New gaskets, seals and thermo available cheap too.

Dave