How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-13-2004, 12:21 PM
tancred

Son Of A....svx!

so i got codes for both o2 sensors being bad, so is that enough to cause my car to smoke, because now from 3 to D i get a stream of greyish smoke when im at like 90mph its hard to tell if its out my exhaust or trans? and everytime power mode activates it goes to 4.5 bogs shifts to next gear....under wot its having issues every 1 outta 5 times i hit it...i can mash it and still do full throttle pulls, but like at 30mph if i hit it, iit will bog...

Ideas??

Starting to see that "For Sale" sign getting closer to the car, if its going to keep being a F'er....I wanted to spend money on mods, not on maintence every month, jesus...
Old 05-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Does your power light flash on startup?

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: Son Of A....svx!

Hey, that's no way to speak about 'Elina' Dustin. Have a mechanic look at your O2 sensors and make sure they were installed properly on your upgraded exhaust...

When the O2 sensors go bad, itwill cause the ECU to put it in safe mod which will dial back your timing and cause you to lose hp as the engine is running richer.

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by tancred
Starting to see that "For Sale" sign getting closer to the car, if its going to keep being a F'er....

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-13-2004, 12:49 PM
tancred

Yup power light does work on startup...

And the standard flash with the shift kit, i checked the vac line to the shift kit, thinking maybe subaru didnt reconnect it, it seems ok, i am going to adjust it a bit and see if perhaps they messed with it....

Im really at a loss on whats going on....It may be in safe mode, limp home, whatever, so i am going to get some o2 sensors and see what i can do, the only thing i can think of is when the ehaust was put on the o2's got burned because it sounds different then a few days ago, it sounds like it did when it first came from the exhaust shop, feels quicker too.....lol....
Old 05-13-2004, 01:13 PM

it won't last forever

Smoke @ 90 MPH, bogging in POWER mode, issues at WOT...

Could be you've just hammered it to death.

dcb
Old 05-13-2004, 02:11 PM
tancred

Nah, see it only smoked like that one time i cant get it to do it again, i just looked up in my rear view and i was like, oh look smoke, slowed down and it got thicker, then i shifted from D to 3 and back and forth a few times, lighter smoke now it wont do it, and I looked under my hood, and i found out subaru put in the motor too far to the uh, passenger side then where it was because my cold air is barely hanging out, so i had to remove the washer resavoir and it still is just barely fitting, im thinking im pulling in un metered air under wot causing the power mode bogging, i can get my car to do it almost on command now, i readjusted the cold air and its still doing it, i also noticed my fuel filter line is a week or so from bursting.....Im going to go ahead and order the o2 sensors and put those in, Im going to the junkyard now to go get a TCU and ECU....

Im really quite stumped on this one..
Old 05-13-2004, 02:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Nah, see it only smoked like that one time i cant get it to do it again, i just looked up in my rear view and i was like, oh look smoke, slowed down and it got thicker, then i shifted from D to 3 and back and forth a few times, lighter smoke now it wont do it...

...Im really quite stumped on this one..
You don't say...

I don't understand why you thought that, if your car was smoking, moving the gear selector would change a thing. The only hole through which the transmission could smoke is the little breather tubes, and if they smoked enough to see it at 90mph...

...90, huh?...

...then you'd have much bigger problems.

You mentioned the engine being 'reinstalled.' Forgive me - I don't know the full story with your car - did you have major work done recently? Because fluids can leak out and get on the exhaust...no big deal there.

Anyway, if your car is storing codes for both of the O2 sensors, then the first step you need to take is replacing those. Solve the problems you know about before moving on to the confounding ones.

Other than that, I'm with dcarrb...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-13-2004, 02:32 PM
tancred

we'll see what happens, if anything i can accept the fact the tranny is a piece and probbably is gonna die....but id have a hard time believing my motor is toast, as it just was pulled and redone almost entirely.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:40 PM
tancred

Pulled 2 new codes just now, cam position, and MAF i think are what they were...
Old 05-13-2004, 02:51 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Pulled 2 new codes just now, cam position, and MAF i think are what they were...
Wait...are the codes consistent? Are you erasing the computer's memory every time? If so, do the same failures pop up after driving it for a day or two?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-13-2004, 02:55 PM
tancred

Wiped the o2 codes out, and picked up CAM position sensor and MAF, i believe if i read it correctly which i did it 5 times to check so im pretty damn sure...

Suckage, 200 for cam sensor, 76 for labor.

Subaru is like, thats not a common repair on a SVX...lol, yeah, bad car no oil for you!
Old 05-13-2004, 03:40 PM

Registered SVX
But if the codes for the O2 sensors didn't come back, then maybe if if you wipe the memory again, you'll get entirely different codes.

And how long did you wait after clearing the memory before you checked again?

And did you check, after clearign the memory last time, that no codes came up, just to be sure?

I'm just really suspicious of your random, inconsistent codes.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-13-2004, 03:43 PM
tancred

i checked o2's, cleared them, drove around no light, late last night got the o2s again cleared em last night, drove 196 miles today, no light, smoked...pulled codes, never saw a engine light, pulled codes 4 fun, got cam, cleared them, started svx, checked codes, cam....
Old 05-13-2004, 03:50 PM
tancred

the reason i believe its cam sensor, and leaking cam seals.... is exhaust note has changed its very loud...
Old 05-13-2004, 04:04 PM

Registered SVX
Well, hey, check the connector. If that's not it then replace the sensor. It's not a common failure, but it's not unheard of, either...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE