Old 10-17-2001, 02:00 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: no fear

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXCH
Hi everybody!

It doesn't must be only this molyslip. Most important is, that it's write, it dissapears from self and it doesn't damage plastic and glass. So a special breakcleaner would go too.

I just clean before I go on job the right front glass inside. But for take out the rest liquid easier, I took an old 10-ml-plastic-injection, put the same tube/pipecleaner on this. So I could take out faster the liquid (in hospital they take blood with this, I clean a car light . Only the little rest I try to take away with kitchenpaper.

Kusi
Mein Deutsch ist ein wenig rostiges aber Vielen Dank für alle Ihre Hilfe und Anweisungen im Säubern des Lichtes.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-17-2001, 08:51 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Randy - It's funny that you used the phrase "I kill me". This was the name of an obscure New Jersey pop/rock group from the late' 80s, now known as The Churchills, that have had some limited success on tour throughout the USA & now Europe. As an ex-DJ, I'm SURE you know this already. The group's founder & lead singer, Ron Haney, is the son of my best old friend from high school, & was named for his semi-uncle Ron Mummert. Just ramblin'! Scuzzy drive? Sounds like trip through the Everglades during hurricane season. See you for the windfest in West Virginny. Ron.
Ron, I'm vaguely familiar with The Churchills --- cool, I know someone who knows someone famous.

Now, when you mention "windfest" is that in reference to the weather, or to "hot air" that will certainly flow from our gatherings (and that would be "hot air" of the *talking* variety. I'll refrain from Mexican food on the drive up. Although, I can't promise I won't have Pinto Beans and Cornbread if I find a nice little country restaurant along the way. )
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-17-2001, 09:36 AM
SVXCH

@ seraphim

Your german is very good. I don't know very perfect write on english, but I try and the more I write, the better it goes! Much greetings.

@ everybody

An other solution to dry the Molyslip faster could be to use air pressure spray (or airkompressor), like for airbrush or clean electromotors.

Kusi
Old 10-17-2001, 09:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Frontlights glass cleaning

Quote:
Hi folks!

Finally again one question from a SVX-Driver from Switzerland . Following problem (attention "Swiss english"):

On the inside of the left frontlight-glass it has a light grey coat. It doesn't disturb much when I drive in the night, but it doesn't look good, special because the right one is clear.

I ask my Subaru dealer, if they can clean the glass from the inside. They say no chance, only possibility is to change the front light (what is very expencive). I think one way to try is to remove the bulps and try to clean the glass through this opening.

I want try to sprinkle inside special breakcleaner (MolySlip) who doesn't damage plastic (so the frontlight glass too not). Or have somebody a better idea?

Kusi
Are your headlight lenses plastic or glass? I seem to remember someone saying UK-spec lights are glass, but I may very well have made that up...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-17-2001, 09:51 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Ron, I'm vaguely familiar with The Churchills --- cool, I know someone who knows someone famous.

Now, when you mention "windfest" is that in reference to the weather, or to "hot air" that will certainly flow from our gatherings (and that would be "hot air" of the *talking* variety. I'll refrain from Mexican food on the drive up. Although, I can't promise I won't have Pinto Beans and Cornbread if I find a nice little country restaurant along the way. )
Mexican food West Verginny style? I didn't know 'possum could be used as an ingredient in a burrito, but you never know.
As long as you're speaking through the upper oriface rather than the lower one, I think we'll all survive.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Mexican food West Verginny style? I didn't know 'possum could be used as an ingredient in a burrito, but you never know.
As long as you're speaking through the upper oriface rather than the lower one, I think we'll all survive.
Ron.
Possum burritos are excellent! Just sprinkle it with a little cumin and garlic salt while you barbecue it and it makes fer some mighty fine viddles. 'Specially when served on the fancy eatin' table with custom pot passers.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-17-2001, 09:58 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
@ seraphim

Your german is very good. I don't know very perfect write on english, but I try and the more I write, the better it goes! Much greetings.

@ everybody

An other solution to dry the Molyslip faster could be to use air pressure spray (or airkompressor), like for airbrush or clean electromotors.

Kusi
Ich denke, daß Sie ziemlich gut mit Ihrem Englisch tun. Wir schätzen die Bemühung. Viele würden nicht stören. Danke für Sein ein Teil des Netzes.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-17-2001, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Head light lens plastic

Quote:

And this would be a *bad* thing? We've been trying to figure out how to get these suckers apart for years. If it doesn't clean them and ands up taking them apart so they can be cleaned, edges sanded and re-glued/sealed --- all the better I say. Let us know how you come out (just in case mine ever get bad).
I worked for a supplier of the material used in automotive headlamps. This material is called polycarbonate (known generically as Lexan). This material is very impact resistant but can be attacked by a variety of solvents and cleaners. Your fears about chemical attacks are very well founded. What usually causes the cloudiness is one of two things:

1) The combination UV resistant/scratch resistant coating failing and getting cloudy.
2) The base polycarbonate being attacked by UV light and breaking down getting cloudy.

As far as separating the lens from the housing, these two components may be glued (haven't looked at my headlight housings), but they are usually welded using vibration (low frequency, hugh amplitude) or ultrasonic (high frequency, low amplitude) energy. The two halves are loaded into a nest and the welding head advances, energy is applied to the mating surfaces and the two halves are melted together. You can separate the halves, but you typically will destroy one or both of the pieces.
Old 10-17-2001, 11:12 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

Quote:

Possum burritos are excellent! Just sprinkle it with a little cumin and garlic salt while you barbecue it and it makes fer some mighty fine viddles. 'Specially when served on the fancy eatin' table with custom pot passers.
I hear there's a new chain of fast food joints about to open in West Virginny, called Taco Belch.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-17-2001, 01:33 PM
SVXCH

@ Mr. Pockets

My frontlights are also plastic or as "wawazat??" says polycarbonat (lexan). This is the same material like the lexanbodies of the rc-modelcars. With the same spray I clean also from time to time my modelcarbodies outside from dusty etc. Till now, it doesn't damage never something.

--------

@ aredubjay

Donnerwetter, dann können wir ja in Zukunft in Deutsch schreiben (in the future we can write on German hehehe)

--------

I don't can give warranty, that my method works on every cases of fog inside on the glass. On my lights it was coatet, but not extreme strong. If it's maybe stronger grey, it won't go away 100%, but it will be better.

Maybe it has for buy a special spray or cleaner for lexan. But it has also go away from self, because I don't see a big chance to clean the glas through this little bulp-hole with something like a big pipcleaner etc. But if we think all about this, someone will maybe have the ultimate solution.

In every case, I find this SVX Network really very cool and good for talk with other SVX-drivers. And in the same way, I can learn better write English

Kusi

Last edited by SVXCH; 10-17-2001 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:51 PM
smoke_svx

Post cleaning headlights

easy fix everyone.

Most 92s (like mine) are way beyond any kind of cleaners or waxes.

at the body shop...we use...good old Sandpaper..

1500 grit and wet sand it good and smooth. Then follow it with 3M rubbing compound and rub it clean and bright.

all clean, just sand off all that road goo.

I do it to Lexus', Benz's, etc. makes the lights stay bright and clear.

hope this helps.. Its soo easy to do that I carry the stuff with me in my car so I can do other SVX's that I see. It's and easy fix and great way to introduce yourself to another SVX owner.

any questions or details on wet sanding just pm me or post up.

thx
Old 10-17-2001, 11:11 PM

Registered SVX
Re: cleaning headlights

Quote:
Originally posted by smoke_svx
easy fix everyone.

Most 92s (like mine) are way beyond any kind of cleaners or waxes.

at the body shop...we use...good old Sandpaper..

1500 grit and wet sand it good and smooth. Then follow it with 3M rubbing compound and rub it clean and bright.

all clean, just sand off all that road goo.

I do it to Lexus', Benz's, etc. makes the lights stay bright and clear.

hope this helps.. Its soo easy to do that I carry the stuff with me in my car so I can do other SVX's that I see. It's and easy fix and great way to introduce yourself to another SVX owner.

any questions or details on wet sanding just pm me or post up.

thx
Smoke -- he was talking about cleaning the INSIDE of the headlights.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-17-2001, 11:41 PM
smoke_svx

Angry headlights

why would anyones headlights be dirty inside? they must be joking. I just bought a set of headlights today from a junkyard.

they were out of a 92 SVX thats been there since 93

the SVX was totaled do to the FIRE burning up every part of the car.

and of course the headlights were nasty poo gross... and of course my fix worked and now they look brand spanky new.

if your inside of your headlights are dirty, then you put sand and dirt in them when you changed your bulbs. :P

I see you've been busy Aredubjay... been awhile since I've seen you on yahho, and yes.. its still the yellow color that you hate

SVX
Old 10-18-2001, 05:52 AM
SVXCH

Yeah, when I change the bulbs I always put sand and dirt inside that it's hold better

Ok, serious. I saw here in Switzerland many cars with this problem, it's not only a SVX problem. BMW 3 Series, Audi A4 (first model), VW Golf 3 and many other.

This shows only, that it's have a wide range of qualitiy from the car parts. One car have this problem not, same model from an other driver has a bad light in the car who become grey inside after short or longer time.

I saw here also 92er SVX with no fog-problems inside the lights, but a 1997er who have this fog inside. So, it's like russian roulette

Kusi

Last edited by SVXCH; 10-18-2001 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-18-2001, 10:19 AM

Registered SVX
Re: headlights

Quote:
Originally posted by smoke_svx
I see you've been busy Aredubjay... been awhile since I've seen you on yahho, and yes.. its still the yellow color that you hate
Yeah, I've been a little busy here. I started leading a rally to finally abandon the Yahoo site for a better home, back around January of last year. I was hoping that we could all come together (Yahoo - I-club) and anybody else, and we could avoid the dependency on Yahoo with its "here today gone tomorrow here today" message 40 bug. It disappointed me when it didn't happen. I think we've made a "Nice place to live" here. I dropped out of the Yahoo club (actually had to TEAR myself away) back in April. I've posted almost exclusively here (except to say goodbye to Preston on Yahoo and a recent Australian club obsession ) Anyway, glad to see you here. Even if your car is . . . well, you know.
Subaru Ambassador