Old 01-18-2004, 11:02 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
It works both ways.

Did I mention it works both ways?
Old 01-19-2004, 12:11 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Ahh...but was that a Jeep Cherokee or Chrysler Cherokee? Big different cause the AMC jeeps were solid as stone.

My Cherokee was a 1998, 2 door, 2.5ltr 4 cylinder, RWD, 5 speed... I think that Chrysler owned Jeep about that time... Think...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-19-2004, 12:27 AM
Hater

Re: It works both ways.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
I knew there was hope for you all along. My job is done here
i'm glad you feel good, but i still say that GM stuff is still crap, just a bit less crappy than Ford or Chrysler.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-19-2004, 12:37 AM

Hehehehe

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Gig

I have a question for Shadow248 (or anyone who wants to answer it, actually). Keep in mind that I'm not supporting either side of this because I don't know anything about cars. I just have this question and you guys seem like you probably know the answer.

I have a friend who has a 1996 Firebird (which I think is a Chevrolet because that's the dealership where he bought it). He bought the car new and has always been really, really into it (guy thing). I would be really surprised if all the maintenance hasn't been done to it... it seems like he has the oil changed every month. There were never any problems with it at all until a year or two ago. Then he started having problems that required the Firebird to be in the garage quite often. I don't have a problem with that... I know that some cars are like that.

What I'm curious about, though, is this. When my friend complained to the dealer about the problems, do you know they told him? They said that the problems weren't going to go away and that they were only going to get worse because it was a high mileage car with over 100,000 miles. They said it was time to trade it in and get a new car. He had only just paid it off about a year before!

So is that right? Is 100,000 miles high mileage? Because I don't think it is... my friend was so mad when the dealer told him that!

We compared mileage in our cars because my Toyota is much older, a 1988, and I've never had to have it fixed. I don't even have the oil changed until someone makes me... it just never occurs to me.

My friend's mileage was 124,000 something. Want to know what my mileage was? It was 182,000 something miles! Now, I realize that my friend's car has more miles than mine over the life of the car. The Firebird has 17,714 miles per year and my car only has 12,133 miles per year. Would that make the difference? I.E. the car getting too many miles too early? My friend said that it shouldn't make any difference but it seems like it's a significant thing to me.

I guess my question would be, is 100,000 miles really time to start looking for a new car, or is the dealer just trying to get my friend to trade his car because he isn't making payments anymore?

I think the dealer just wants to sell a new car. I don't think that 100,000 miles is actually high mileage! I don't like the dealer at all. I didn't buy a car from them one time because they wouldn't approve me for the car I wanted and tried to force me to buy a car I didn't want by refusing to give me back my keys. They wouldn't let me leave until I finally called my dad at 9:30 PM on my cell phone and he came and made the dealer give me back my keys. Even then my dad had to call the police before they would let me go, so I know that they aren't honest. The salesman had the nerve to say to me, "Thank you for wasting my time", as I was leaving.

I don't think the dealer is being honest. I think they could fix the Firebird if they wanted to, and are just trying to get my friend to finance another car!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Shot king

Quote:
Ahh...but was that a Jeep Cherokee or Chrysler Cherokee? Big different cause the AMC jeeps were solid as stone.
Nice, something we can agree on . My 87 4.0 is rapidly approaching 200k another vehicle that refuses to die
Old 01-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Shot king

Quote:
True. But i've heard equally bad stories about other subarus...I mentioned before about my aunt and her Imprezas...she thinks subaru is the worst car maker on the planet...that's how bad those two cars were. IT WORKS BOTH WAYS...is all i'm saying.
Have ya heard anything bout the Loyale /Gl family ?
Old 01-19-2004, 10:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
It's simply a case where the foreign car makers have managed to create and exploit an image that really isn't true...i'm here to make sure that you keep your eyes open to reality, and put behind you that image that was created by your beloved car makers, cause it's a hoax just like it always has been.
http://autos.yahoo.com/consumerrepor...src=autos/eyak

Find me equally compelling research that suggests the opposite of the one I provided, and I'll consider your claim. Until then, I'll continue to buy my Subarus and Toyotas.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 01-19-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Gig
So is that right? Is 100,000 miles high mileage? Because I don't think it is...
on domestic cars over 100,000 miles, the Death Rattle is almost upon them. they will start to spend a lot of time in the shop until the final gasp, or until you kill it in frustration.

European and Japanese cars are usually just getting broken in around 75,000 miles.

Old 01-19-2004, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gig
I have a question for Shadow248 ...
The dealer is definetly full of it. In fact, in any situation with a dealer in which you feel you were wronged, your right. NO dealer can be fully trusted. They are in the business of selling cars and have so much pressure on them to do so, that it overrides normal logic. Carmaker's still consider anything over 60,000 to be high mileage. This should probably be changed seeing as the average person now puts 18,500 miles on their car per year. So that makes a three year old car "old" which is not the case in my opinion.

Firebird is Pontiac. Now is it a Firebird, Firebird Formula, or Firebird Trans Am? I ask because those are three different engines. Regardless there's no reason he can't hang on to it. All three of those models earned 5 star reliability ratings from Consumer reports starting in 1996.

If it's a Firebird...then it's the 3800 V6...this is GM's second most famous engine, because they use it in just about everything and it's nearly as bulletproof as the EG33 in the SVX. There have been no known recurring problems for this engine, so anything he encounters will be isolated and really cheap to fix. Unless of course he has a heavy foot or drives recklessly, then anything goes.

If it's a Formula...then it's the 5.0L V8...i believe 1996 was the last year for this engine because it was the most problematic of the engines used in the car. If he has this engine i would recommend trading up cause it really wouldn't be that expensive and probably worth it. They have had alot of problems with the EGR system and intake on this engine, and those can be costly repairs.

If it's a Trans Am...then it's the 5.7L LT1 V8...this engine was used up until 1997 and is the marquee engine for GM musclecars until that year. It only had one recurring problem and that's the distributor. About $300 to fix. Other than that...5 stars.

If he has the LT1 or the V6, there's no reason to get rid of the car other than the fact that 124,000 miles is a bit high for a sports car. But both the LT1 and 3800 are well capable of reaching 200k with minimal problems...like any engine they must be well taken care of though. Don't drive like a nut, and i would recommend using all synthetic fluid at this point.

However, if he can spare a bit more for a monthly payment, i'd trade up to a 1998 or newer T/A with the LS-1 ( i happen to be the proud owner of one of these beauties) the LS-1 is quite possibly the greatest creation ever to come out of a GM plant. It has a 5-star rating in every application, has absolutely NO recurring problems (in fact i know a few of my old customers have LS1s with over 100k and have done nothing but regular maintenance), and has the most power of any NA engine in it's class. Plus the list of aftermarket parts and mods for this engine has no end.

I would also say your friend needs to ditch his dealer and find an independent mechanic he can trust. I have (luckily) never had to rely on a dealer for repairs, and after working at one i would consider it my last resort for any kind of work.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shot King
Have ya heard anything bout the Loyale /Gl family ?
Only one...my physics professor had a 1998 wagon (loyale im pretty sure)...he couldn't wait to get rid of it. Had starting problems and liked to stall alot. Plus the interior was falling apart.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
http://autos.yahoo.com/consumerrepo...fsrc=autos/eyak

Find me equally compelling research that suggests the opposite of the one I provided, and I'll consider your claim. Until then, I'll continue to buy my Subarus and Toyotas.
Funny you should use CR. They published their list of the top 40 automakers in terms of quality (problems per 100 cars) this year and it created such an uproar that they tried to make it go away. It's not listed on their site anymore...luckily i saved the newspaper article about it...im going to scan it and post in it my locker for those who are interested. Cadillac placed 4th, Pontiac 7th and Chevy 9th. Subaru was 14th. I think the biggest uproar came over Mercedes Benz (placed 34) and Land Rover (placed 38). Note: im quoting those from memory so i may be off by a place or two.

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
European and Japanese cars are usually just getting broken in around 75,000 miles.
Hey man there's a typo in there...you put an extra "in" in there. It should read:

European and Japanese cars are usually just getting broken around 75,000 miles
Old 01-19-2004, 12:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Funny you should use CR.
Funny you should avoid the question. Where is your proof that domestic cars are as reliable as Japanese models? I see a lot of anecdotal 'evidence' on your part, but no actual proof. Your personal experiences and 'my professor' this and 'my friend' that do not prove a thing. Where is even one report showing that American cars are as reliable as Japanese cars?

I will be happy to discuss the validity of the study I presented (and the credibility of its source) if you present me with the requested information.

Until then you are blowing hot air.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 01-19-2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Shot king

Quote:
Only one...my physics professor had a 1998 wagon (loyale im pretty sure)...he couldn't wait to get rid of it. Had starting problems and liked to stall alot. Plus the interior was falling apart.
No Loyales in 98 .
Old 01-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Hater

Quote:
Hey man there's a typo in there...you put an extra "in" in there. It should read:

European and Japanese cars are usually just getting broken around 75,000 miles
you have teh funnAy!

(BTW, when i say 'European', i am not including VW - they may be worse than GM.)

why GM no quality control?

Old 01-19-2004, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

on domestic cars over 100,000 miles, the Death Rattle is almost upon them. they will start to spend a lot of time in the shop until the final gasp, or until you kill it in frustration.

I believe this completly!!! My baby runs like a shower of ****!!! And she's got 87k miles on her... Not a problem in the world with the mechanics... Just somethings that I need to tak care of... Interior lights and stuff... And there's that Blasted Clutch, but ya can't count that against Subaru since the SVX didn't come with a 5 speed, I put that in there..