How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-29-2001, 05:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Yesterday I was on the JC Sport website. The writeup on their cone air filter implies that it sucks in cool air from the fender well.
However, the picture does not seem to confirm this.
Does anyone here have experience with their cone air filter kit ?

Larry III
Old 08-29-2001, 08:40 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Well yes it does....but it also gets a bunch of engine air as well. This is what I was saying, you need to construct some type of heat sheild that will block the intake from taking in engine hot air. Unfortuanately though, you are taking the same about of air, as it would all be coming from the same inlet in the fender. The cone in fender, or some type of scoop would be the only solution.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-29-2001, 09:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Well guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!!!
Old 08-29-2001, 11:36 AM
Lowered SVX

the svx engine bay is just so hot.....

i just dont think a cone type filter is very effiecent under there. if it were a true cold air intake system maybe i would take a look at it.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-29-2001, 01:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Well I'd think the hole in the plastic underneath combined with the conal in the fenderwell, Is about as close as you're going to get, without a new hood
Old 08-29-2001, 07:38 PM
Chad

Quote:
Originally posted by cocacola08
Well I'd think the hole in the plastic underneath combined with the conal in the fenderwell, Is about as close as you're going to get, without a new hood
And there you have it....look at my personal locker.
Old 08-30-2001, 07:24 PM

My experience with an underhood air intake (aftermarket cone style filter in a 1991 Eagle Talon) is that you need to fabricate a partition to separate the intake from the rest of the engine bay. Then make sure that cool air from outside is ducted into the area of the air intake. The partition does not have to be airtight, so don't worry too much about a perfect fit. On the Talon this reduced the exhaust temperature by 40 degrees F This implies a similar reduction in intake air temoerature and is worth about 4% power. Not bad for corrugated cardboard and duct tape!!
Old 08-30-2001, 09:29 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100
Well yes it does....but it also gets a bunch of engine air as well. This is what I was saying, you need to construct some type of heat sheild that will block the intake from taking in engine hot air. Unfortuanately though, you are taking the same about of air, as it would all be coming from the same inlet in the fender. The cone in fender, or some type of scoop would be the only solution.

Ryan
An option would be to build a box around the cone filter so it only gets air from the fender well. All in all , Chad has the real deal
Old 08-31-2001, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dromano
An option would be to build a box around the cone filter so it only gets air from the fender well. All in all , Chad has the real deal
In my opinion the fenderwell would be the most efficient place
Old 08-31-2001, 03:57 PM
Lowered SVX

good luck guys.....

i guess the whole idea of the filter under the hood sucking hot air makes me nervous. i would rather remover the intake resonator and fabricate a larger tube that goes into the wheel well. in fact my next mod is to remove the intake resonator.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-31-2001, 04:21 PM
Chad

Re: good luck guys.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i guess the whole idea of the filter under the hood sucking hot air makes me nervous. i would rather remover the intake resonator and fabricate a larger tube that goes into the wheel well. in fact my next mod is to remove the intake resonator.
That is exactly what I did. Look at my personal locker.
Old 08-31-2001, 04:29 PM
Lowered SVX

really chad......???

you can guarantee i will checking that out! thanks for the heads up. does it work pretty good so far?
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-31-2001, 06:00 PM

Re: good luck guys.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
in fact my next mod is to remove the intake resonator.
That is a simple one. it shouldn't take too long. You can do it in an hour or less and still enjoy the labor day weekend.
Old 08-31-2001, 06:04 PM

You can also poke out the screen right in front of the mass air meter. The holes thru the screen are about the same as screen on windows in your house. And if your air filter doesn't clean out most of the stuff that sure as heck isn't going to either. Just that much more to disrupt the air flow.

I plan on putting the filter in the fender soon. And would like to get some sort of smooth pipe going bewteen the Mass Air and intake. The ridges in that I would think disrupt the air flow as well.
Old 08-31-2001, 07:42 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by cocacola08
You can also poke out the screen right in front of the mass air meter. The holes thru the screen are about the same as screen on windows in your house. And if your air filter doesn't clean out most of the stuff that sure as heck isn't going to either. Just that much more to disrupt the air flow.

Well, being as this isn't a mod mania thread...ARE YOU RETARDED? Yeah, go ahead and start busting up parts that were designed to work a certain way. Where in *thee* heck do you guys come up with this stuff? I guess you must have more money and time to spend ruining parts that are engineered to work a certain way than I do.

Hey, while we're at it let's poke holes in the muffler, and the cats and then we can get that really cool blat, blat, blat sound when we're driving. And *THEN* we can put in a 2000 decible stereo to shake our neigbors homes to peices at 2:00 A.M.

For any sane folks that may read this thread...do *NOT* poke holes in expensive parts, please...really, it is the most insane thing I have ever seen posted on either site.

Hey, I gotta go...my cat has four feet, I want to cut one off and see if he still performs as well as before, I've heard he may even perform better if'n I cut off one foot.

Oh yeah, what the %$^# is a mass air meter. Enlighten me please. I'm assuming you mean the air flow meter (old Subaru technospeak), or the MAF, or mass air flow sensor (government mandated generic terminology). You may be talking old english (Jaguar etc. technospeak), however I can't recall the name they used right now and quite frankly after having witnessed someone that obviously has no technical background in automobiles giving advice like that just is pure *HORSE PUCKY*.

Hope you are prepared to pay for the mass air meter you just told someone to destroy!

Cletus: "Yup, just poke a hole in 'er, she'll run *REAL* good then!"

Last edited by eddycat2000; 08-31-2001 at 07:58 PM.