How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-11-2001, 04:49 PM
ehyde111

Question radar detector placement

I was wondering how reliable the Valentine One is when mounted on the Passenger's side Visor (nearest to the center of the car)? I've tried the suction cup/winshield mount in the past but have had problems with it falling off.
Thanks
Old 08-11-2001, 07:48 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: radar detector placement

Quote:
Originally posted by ehyde111
I was wondering how reliable the Valentine One is when mounted on the Passenger's side Visor (nearest to the center of the car)? I've tried the suction cup/winshield mount in the past but have had problems with it falling off.
Thanks
From what I understand, the Valentine One is the most effective Radar Detector on the market, however, any Detector's effectiveness will be hampered by the titanium in the windshield. The manufacturer of the detector I own recommends mounting the detector as low on the windshield as possible (being careful not to block signals by mounting behind the windshield wipers) in order to take advantage of the "bounce" of radar/laser guns off the hood. I've found this mounting advice to be valid, as I gain some range from this method. I've tried it high and low and found low to be more effective. Just my experience.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-12-2001, 02:07 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Radar

That's good advice Randy.

Even the best of them will not see a Laser signal when mounted high, the gun is usually pointed at the license plate.

The best combination would be one mounted on the dash, with an additional receiver at the license plate, which would quickly pick up the laser signal.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-12-2001, 03:07 PM
ehyde111

Re: Radar

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Even the best of them will not see a Laser signal when mounted high, the gun is usually pointed at the license plate.

Joe
Thanks for the advice. I thought I'd spend some time digging out my V1 manual today. (It's a project -- yes I'm neurotic and save all of my manuals -- in one bit box -- so it's like digging for lost treasure). Anyway, here's what V1 says:
"VALENTINE ONE WORKS BEST WHEN MOUNTED HIGH IN THE WINSHIELD . . . DETECTOR PERFORMANCE IS ENHANCED BY A HIGH MOUNTING POSITION. TWO REASONS. FOR RADAR, A LONGER SIGHT LINE TO THE HORIZON ALWAYS HELPS. FOR LASER, MOVING AWAY FROM THE HOOD AND ITS SUN REFLECTION HELPS A LOT."

I don't have to worry about the titanium winshield--mine is an aftermarket clear replacement.

So, I don't know what to do. In the past (with cheaper detectors) I always mounted them low, it seemed to make sense. I guess I'll try both and see which gives me better results.

Thanks again
Chris
Old 08-12-2001, 04:49 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Re: radar detector placement

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

From what I understand, the Valentine One is the most effective Radar Detector on the market, however, any Detector's effectiveness will be hampered by the titanium in the windshield. The manufacturer of the detector I own recommends mounting the detector as low on the windshield as possible (being careful not to block signals by mounting behind the windshield wipers) in order to take advantage of the "bounce" of radar/laser guns off the hood. I've found this mounting advice to be valid, as I gain some range from this method. I've tried it high and low and found low to be more effective. Just my experience.
Vel 1 has problems as well. I have friends who got tickets up his butt even with the vel 1. I have the bel vector 95. I have been happy with mine.

Anyways, to cut it short, I have mine setup on the driver side suction cups. but I wired mine around so that the cables do not pull it down.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-12-2001, 08:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Radar

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

The best combination would be one mounted on the dash, with an additional receiver at the license plate, which would quickly pick up the laser signal.

Joe
Here's the optimum solution:

http://www.jammersstore.com/p_un3000sw.htm
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-13-2001, 05:32 AM
Jedi Member

Umm... titanium windshield? Don't tell me our car is bullet-proof too.
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 08-13-2001, 03:32 PM
ehyde111

titanium winshield

Quote:
Originally posted by FlagstaffSVX
Umm... titanium windshield? Don't tell me our car is bullet-proof too.
Yes, and when you push a button, the rocket launchers pop out the sides. . .

I was referring to the winshields some of the SVXs have. I'm sure you know what I mean. I think the quote I was replying to said "titanium in the winshield." Honestly, I'm not sure what is in the winshields that I have read about. All of my glass is clear.
Old 08-13-2001, 05:29 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: titanium winshield

Quote:
Originally posted by ehyde111

Yes, and when you push a button, the rocket launchers pop out the sides. . .

Hey! Don't forget about the pass......Aw never mind. (kick, kick, damn dead dog).
Old 08-13-2001, 06:19 PM
ehyde111

Re: Re: titanium winshield

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Hey! Don't forget about the pass......Aw never mind. (kick, kick, damn dead dog).
I keep meaning to look up that thread. It must have been a blast. Was it here or on Yahoo?
Old 08-14-2001, 01:44 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Radar

Quote:

Here's the optimum solution:

http://www.jammersstore.com/p_un3000sw.htm
I looked at that one Randy, and it got slated in a recent joint test. Apparently it is not sensitive to Ka band, the most common modern gun the police use, and also it sets off false signals all the time. You would switch it off in frustration if the test is correct and objective. Have a look at:

http://www.radartest.com/DS4HEM.html

The Valenting 1 advice is correct in the detail about the placement. Both signals are rectilinear, ie, straightline, so to pick up signal over road undulations over a long distance, the higher the better.

This works really well for radar, placing the receiver higher on the windshield can add a couple of miles of extra warning on Radar signals.

The trouble with Laser, the beam is tight, really, really tight, only spreads about 2 feet at the distance they normally nail you at. This means in practice if you are getting a strong signal and your speed is too high, you are cooked. Your reaction time will be too slow to take effect before they log your reading. The only hope with Laser is if you are using a receiver with very high sensitivity to the frequency they use, and your device picks up a "smell" of a signal reflected off another vehicle or scattered off the road.

It would also be useful to run with daytime lights, the light radiation interferes with the laser signal, and may give you a couple of seconds to "adjust" as the shooter tries to get a clean stable return signal. How about some of those bulb manufacturers selling us bulbs that have a strong output on the Laser frequency, forget the "blue white" crap??

Joe

PS In a recent UK test, the Valentine 1 came out best. Main reason, its sensitivity to Gatso unmanned radar traps, about treble the distance of the nearest rival. These purposely send out a low power signal to give less warning. Most radar detectors only "see" them when you are too close to adjust. No, I don't know what band these use, I must find out.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 08-14-2001 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:02 AM
sbkim

I love my V1. It has saved me numerous times. In fact, I am blind without it. I have mine mounted very high on my C5 -- right by the rear view mirror and it has been very effective and stealthy. I am buying another V1 for my SVX. I believe due to the slant of the windshield (Mike at V1 even knows about this issue on the SVX-- call him to discuss), one should mount in the middle of the windshield (ie. below rear view mirror). To make matters worse, I have titanium tint all around my car which further diminishes V1's efficacy. Nevertheless, I have no doubt V1 is the best you can buy, albeit pricey. Also, they provide wiring to hard wire into the car -- clean install.
Old 08-17-2001, 06:13 PM
CGLathrop

My detector

I have an older model whistler (Maybe 4 years old), that I took apart and made some mods to. 1st, I took it apart and wired in some CAT-5 to the LED drivers, and used some old phone cord for the sound and power. Next I put the unit back together (minus the LED's, and little speaker). sealed the unit with some RTV and mounted it in one of the bottom openings in the front bumper. Ran the wires into the cockpit and mounted the LED's at the bottom of the instrument panal (on the outside of the clear glass). Now.. I can check speed and radar strength almost at the same time. Now... no problems with titanium in the glass.. and the law enforcment guys on base cant see that I have a detector (if caught with one turned on when on base you get a ticket and have to stand in front of the first sergeant). I have a small switch hidden so if I have to.. I can still shut it off. Fun little mod.. but I wouldnt have tried it on a newer detector. This was one that if I accidently fried the transistors or a chip.. then it was no big deal. As for sensitivity.. works great. Was picking up radar from about 3/4 mile away when at F.E. Warren AFB in Wy. have gotten zapped with laser too, but not sure of the distance on that.

just my two cents
Chris
Old 08-17-2001, 06:22 PM

Registered SVX
Re: My detector

Quote:
Originally posted by CGLathrop
I have an older model whistler (Maybe 4 years old), that I took apart and made some mods to. 1st, I took it apart and wired in some CAT-5 to the LED drivers, and used some old phone cord for the sound and power. Next I put the unit back together (minus the LED's, and little speaker). sealed the unit with some RTV and mounted it in one of the bottom openings in the front bumper. Ran the wires into the cockpit and mounted the LED's at the bottom of the instrument panal (on the outside of the clear glass). Now.. I can check speed and radar strength almost at the same time. Now... no problems with titanium in the glass.. and the law enforcment guys on base cant see that I have a detector (if caught with one turned on when on base you get a ticket and have to stand in front of the first sergeant). I have a small switch hidden so if I have to.. I can still shut it off. Fun little mod.. but I wouldnt have tried it on a newer detector. This was one that if I accidently fried the transistors or a chip.. then it was no big deal. As for sensitivity.. works great. Was picking up radar from about 3/4 mile away when at F.E. Warren AFB in Wy. have gotten zapped with laser too, but not sure of the distance on that.

just my two cents
Chris
This is what I wanted to do with my uniden. But, I wanted to split up the front and rear sensors. Rear at the top of rear windshield -- front under the bumper.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-19-2001, 10:14 PM

Registered SVX
Smile Re: Re: radar detector placement

Quote:

What does the low mounting do for rear detection?