How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-19-2003, 09:26 AM
clarkerussell

Steering wheel shakes

OK, I have a problem that HAS to be resolved.... Whenever I hit a bump on the freeway, my steering wheel starts to vibrate as if something is loose. I've seen this before on my Jeep Cherokee and they even have a name for the condition... they call it the Wobble of Death... Not fun... Anyway, It's annoying as all get out and it's getting worse... This is not the "knocking" sound we are all used to. It happens at highway speeds and I can feel it "getting loose" through the steering wheel. Anyone have any ideas about what to do about this? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 06-19-2003, 09:42 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Re: Steering wheel shakes

Quote:
Originally posted by clarkerussell
OK, I have a problem that HAS to be resolved.... Whenever I hit a bump on the freeway, my steering wheel starts to vibrate as if something is loose. I've seen this before on my Jeep Cherokee and they even have a name for the condition... they call it the Wobble of Death... Not fun... Anyway, It's annoying as all get out and it's getting worse... This is not the "knocking" sound we are all used to. It happens at highway speeds and I can feel it "getting loose" through the steering wheel. Anyone have any ideas about what to do about this? Thanks.

Clarke
How is the front suspension?

Jack up the front wheels off the ground (one at a time is OK). Put on some gloves because you never know what is stuck in your tires and grab the tire like you want to hug the wheel and try and wobble it hoizontally and then vertically. The wheel should have no play at all. If it does move vertically, you may have a bad ball joint or strut mount. If it moves horizontally, you may have a bad inner or outer tie rod.

Repeat for the other side.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-19-2003, 10:03 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Either something is loose, worn out, or out of alignment. Definitely check the free play of the wheels as Doug said, but I'd first try it with the wheels on the ground. If no obvious free play, with wheels either off/on ground, I'd do a thorough visual inspection.

When did it start happening? Was it gradual over time, or did it start happening all of a sudden?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:48 AM
clarkerussell

Recently...

It seems to have happend over about a month... The symptom is that when I hit a bump, the front end seems to wobble for about 30 feet after the bump.. It's more pronounced at higher (80mph) speeds. Thanks.

Clarke
Old 06-20-2003, 01:05 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

With the steering column locked, grab front of the tire and move it in toward the engine and back out. It should not move or make noise. If it does it's a tie rod problem.

Push the top of the tire in and pull it out. If it moves its the strut.

Ball joints I have only been able to find bad ones when the car is jacked up and a pry bar is use between the knuckle and lower control arm. There should be no movement.

Rubber bushings in the lower control arm worn out?

How much free play do you have in the steering wheel?
Old 06-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
what is the role of the ball joint? I think the boot around one of mine broke and let the grease out, but i've never fixed it. Would it cause front end noise or bad tire wear or anything like that?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 06-24-2003, 02:45 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
what is the role of the ball joint? I think the boot around one of mine broke and let the grease out, but i've never fixed it. Would it cause front end noise or bad tire wear or anything like that?
I'm sure it could cause bad tire wear, poor handling, etc. Fortunately, the ball joints are very easy to replace.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
The ball joint fixes the bottom of the upright to the end of the control arm. It's a universal joint (like the one in your shoulder or hip) that allows the wheel the travel up and down and turn left to right.

When the front right ball joint in my wife's Legacy went bad, the most pronounced symptom was a wobbling noise (and eventually a shaking of the steering wheel) while turning left on the freeway.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE